[Q] AMOLED grays - Prospective Buyer

Search This thread

rebeleagle

Feb 18, 2012
I am a prospective buyer of the Moto X and have my heart set on this phone. However, after using a friend's piece for a while today, I have concerns about the display.

I found the AMOLED display did not render the grays very nicely. They we very reddish brown in my opinion. I understand this is an AMOLED problem, but the X is supposed to have one of the best AMOLEDs out there.

Is this a problem generally in the X or was that perhaps a problem with that particular piece? Is this problem solvable via software?

Thanks!

XAlexander_AlexanderX

May 8, 2012
I am a prospective buyer of the Moto X and have my heart set on this phone. However, after using a friend's piece for a while today, I have concerns about the display.

I found the AMOLED display did not render the grays very nicely. They we very reddish brown in my opinion. I understand this is an AMOLED problem, but the X is supposed to have one of the best AMOLEDs out there.

Is this a problem generally in the X or was that perhaps a problem with that particular piece? Is this problem solvable via software?

Thanks!
It's most likely your friends piece.. No reddish brownish grey colors here.

kenrw7

Dec 19, 2012
Strange I don't see reddish brown s in mine , the shades of grey I find better than on my sons s4 active.

pintasmapila

Aug 5, 2008
Samsung Galaxy S20
Browning and reddish, yep. It doesn't really bother me. My pictures look nice and i can't tell the difference from another screen. I think this is more noticeable in the system UI. Everything else is just fine.

skudd

Jun 29, 2014
Grey looks grey on my device. I've compared it to about 20 different devices I own (all with different display types) and I haven't noticed any different beyond greys being a tad darker on AMOLEDs, which isn't surprising.

The only time I found there to be an exception was when I set the brightness to 25% or less and held it up to my (far brighter) LED TV. There's an extremely subtle yellowish tint to it that I only see in this case. Immediately moving it away from my TV it looks perfectly fine again.

Long story short: You should be ok, and I wouldn't consider it a reason to not pick up the phone. Even if it were an issue, the device's pros far outweigh that minor detail. Plus you'd likely get used to it over time. Personally I think the screen looks incredible, better than on most other devices I've used.