FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

moto x 1st gen 4.2.2 Upgrade to 5.1

7 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By -RanZ-, Junior Member on 30th July 2015, 10:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Verizon
Moto X 1st Gen
Android 4.2.2 - Stock rooted
Unlocked Boot loader - not DEV edition though
TWRP 2.7.1.1 recovery

Question:

To upgrade to 5.1 do I just need to revert back to stock boot loader and do an OTA update?
Will the OTA re-lock my boot loader?
After the upgrade to 5.1 do I just reload TWRP recovery and flash SU for root access again?
 
 
30th July 2015, 11:51 PM |#2  
bushako's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Dubai
Thanks Meter: 326
 
More
No the new updates do not relock the bootloader. I suggest you first try out the Lollipop by flashing it through latest version of TWRP. If you think you can live with it than just flash complete stock through rsdlite or manually by fastboot. Reason I say that is because once you take the OTA it will update both bootloader version and the partition tables which means you won't be able to revert back to a lower Android version without the risk of bricking your device.

Sent from my Moto X
31st July 2015, 03:17 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushako

No the new updates do not relock the bootloader. I suggest you first try out the Lollipop by flashing it through latest version of TWRP. If you think you can live with it than just flash complete stock through rsdlite or manually by fastboot. Reason I say that is because once you take the OTA it will update both bootloader version and the partition tables which means you won't be able to revert back to a lower Android version without the risk of bricking your device.

Sent from my Moto X

I don't want to go back to complete stock, I want to keep bootloader unlocked and root. Is there a stock rooted rom out there I can flash w/ TWRP without having to do OTA or flashing the recovery back to stock?
31st July 2015, 11:57 PM |#4  
bushako's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Dubai
Thanks Meter: 326
 
More
Yes there is its in the development section. You'll read the thread something like xt1053 stock flash-able. It contains only the kernel and system files so you should be good.

Here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=3155843

Sent from my Moto X
1st August 2015, 09:30 PM |#5  
KidJoe's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 1,605
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by -RanZ-

Verizon
Moto X 1st Gen
Android 4.2.2 - Stock rooted
Unlocked Boot loader - not DEV edition though
TWRP 2.7.1.1 recovery

Question:

To upgrade to 5.1 do I just need to revert back to stock boot loader and do an OTA update?
Will the OTA re-lock my boot loader?
After the upgrade to 5.1 do I just reload TWRP recovery and flash SU for root access again?

First off, there is no Verizon 5.1 yet. So any 5.1 you try will be for a different model, and if you flash a full rom, it will have different radios (which don't work for CDMA that Verizon still uses for voice/3g data. If you keep your stock VZW radio files, keep in mind they will be on a different version than the rest of the rom which could cause some inconsistencies and issues. IF you do flash a FULL SBF, you will be stuck with no SAFE way to revert to 4.4.4 due to GPT.BIN/Motoboot.img (for more on this, see the link in my signature), and you'll have to wait for the Verizon 5.1 SBF to get back to Verizon's rom.

Next, to install an OTA update, when it becomes available, you need STOCK RECOVERY on your phone. The OTA also does a pre-flash check/validation of your phone before it flashes, so if anything it looks for is not what it expects, the OTA will fail. Because of that you need to be 100% stock, or very near to it.

Finally, NO, an OTA will not relock your bootloader, nor will flashing an SBF.

For more on taking an OTA, see the link in my signature on OTA Updates..

That being said, if you TRY a 5.1 rom that is out there for another model you best bet is to find one that is a TWRP back up of 5.1 installed on someone's phone, since it only updates system.img and boot.img. It may not work 100% (because part of your phone will still have the 4.4.4 files), but it will give you a taste and you could later revert back to the stock 4.4.4 which you currently have on your phone. IF you flash a FULL SBF, you might be stuck with no way to revert to 4.4.4 due to GPT.BIN/Motoboot.img (for more on this, see the link in my signature)
25th November 2015, 12:47 PM |#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Hi Bushako, I've Moto X Verizon XT1060 and it's struck in 4.2.2 android. When I try to update using setting, about phone and system update it show there is no update available but the android version on it is 4.2.2
27th November 2015, 10:06 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
5.1 is available for Verizon Moto X 1st gen now isn't it? I am googling for a detailed process on how to update from 4.2.2 to 5.1 and keeping root but not having any luck finding anything. Is it easy to update from 4.2.2 stock rooted to 5.1? The specs of my phone are the same as the original post:

Verizon
Moto X 1st Gen
Android 4.2.2 - Stock rooted
Unlocked Boot loader - not DEV edition though
TWRP 2.7.1.1 recovery
28th November 2015, 03:26 PM |#8  
KidJoe's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 1,605
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by -RanZ-

5.1 is available for Verizon Moto X 1st gen now isn't it? I am googling for a detailed process on how to update from 4.2.2 to 5.1 and keeping root but not having any luck finding anything. Is it easy to update from 4.2.2 stock rooted to 5.1? The specs of my phone are the same as the original post:

Verizon
Moto X 1st Gen
Android 4.2.2 - Stock rooted
Unlocked Boot loader - not DEV edition though
TWRP 2.7.1.1 recovery

Aug 1, when I last posted in this thread, Verizon 5.1 wasn't available. It is now.

As for updating and keeping root, there are a few ways to do it. Since you say your Bootloader is unlocked, the best way is flash 5.1 SBF, and use the process of flashing TWRP and SuperSU to root and have Write protection Disabled (see -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...ocked-t3140217 ). If you're bootloader isn't unlocked yet, and if you are on 4.4.2 or lower and have NEVER upgraded to 4.4.4 or 5.1, use Sunshine to unlock the bootloader FIRST

If you're bootloader isn't unlocked, there is only one way to root 5.1, but it doesn't disable write protection, and its risky because it intentionally soft bricks the phone back to the Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader mode.
30th November 2015, 10:31 PM |#9  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe

Aug 1, when I last posted in this thread, Verizon 5.1 wasn't available. It is now.

As for updating and keeping root, there are a few ways to do it. Since you say your Bootloader is unlocked, the best way is flash 5.1 SBF, and use the process of flashing TWRP and SuperSU to root and have Write protection Disabled (see -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...ocked-t3140217 ). If you're bootloader isn't unlocked yet, and if you are on 4.4.2 or lower and have NEVER upgraded to 4.4.4 or 5.1, use Sunshine to unlock the bootloader FIRST

If you're bootloader isn't unlocked, there is only one way to root 5.1, but it doesn't disable write protection, and its risky because it intentionally soft bricks the phone back to the Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader mode.


Bootloader is unlocked, I get the warning every time I restart the phone.
Where can I find the SBF files? Every post I find from a search the links do not work.
Are the SBF files stock or from someone else's phone?
Do I flash the files with my currently installed TWRP?
When I flash the SBF does it remove TWRP so I have to re flash it?
Are there any radio upgrades/do they get done w/ the SBF?

Sorry if these are basic questions, I have not done much phone rooting since my old HTC Incredible.
1st December 2015, 02:56 PM |#10  
KidJoe's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 1,605
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by -RanZ-

Bootloader is unlocked, I get the warning every time I restart the phone.
Where can I find the SBF files? Every post I find from a search the links do not work.
Are the SBF files stock or from someone else's phone?
Do I flash the files with my currently installed TWRP?
When I flash the SBF does it remove TWRP so I have to re flash it?
Are there any radio upgrades/do they get done w/ the SBF?

Sorry if these are basic questions, I have not done much phone rooting since my old HTC Incredible.

  1. There is a link in my signature to a thread containing the known places that were hosting the SBF/FXZ files. That is the only place I can suggest you look.
  2. SBF/FXZ files I'm taking about are stock, and digitally signed by Motorola. They can be flashed on phones with locked or unlocked bootloaders. NOTE: make sure you get the SBF for your device model and carrier!!
  3. You flash these via Mfastboot or RSDLite. When using these tools you are flashing back to stock. After you get the SBF file, see -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...92&postcount=2 and read the REQUIREMENTS section, and pick either Option 3, 4 or 5 to actually flash (only use one option. which ever you find the easiest. Do NOT use Option 1 or 2 as they would not apply to your situation). I usually recommend option 5.
  4. Yes, the process of flashing the entire SBF will overwrite TWRP with stock recovery. You'll need to flash it later as part of the rooting process.
  5. Yes there are radio updates in the newer SBF files.

So basically, you flash to stock 5.1 by using the SBF files (following the requirements and ONE of the options in http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...92&postcount=2 again,I usually recommend option 5), then root by following http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...ocked-t3140217

One other tip... Make a back up of your phone BEFORE YOU FLASH. copy all data from the /sdcard area to your PC, make a list of all your apps, etc. And seriously consider erasing your UserData while flashing (wipes the phone clear), or doing a factory reset before you flash.
I only say this because 5.1 seems more stable (and less buggy) if a factory reset is done before/during the upgrade process.

EDIT: The 5.1 SBF file you want for a Verizon XT1060 is GHOST_VERIZON_5.1_LPA23.12-39.7_cid2_CFC.xml.zip and is available from -> http://motofirmware.center/files/cat...st-generation/
1st December 2015, 03:13 PM |#11  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe

  1. There is a link in my signature to a thread containing the known places that were hosting the SBF/FXZ files. That is the only place I can suggest you look.
  2. SBF/FXZ files I'm taking about are stock, and digitally signed by Motorola. They can be flashed on phones with locked or unlocked bootloaders. NOTE: make sure you get the SBF for your device model and carrier!!
  3. You flash these via Mfastboot or RSDLite. When using these tools you are flashing back to stock. After you get the SBF file, see -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...92&postcount=2 and read the REQUIREMENTS section, and pick either Option 3, 4 or 5 to actually flash (only use one option. which ever you find the easiest. Do NOT use Option 1 or 2 as they would not apply to your situation). I usually recommend option 5.
  4. Yes, the process of flashing the entire SBF will overwrite TWRP with stock recovery. You'll need to flash it later as part of the rooting process.
  5. Yes there are radio updates in the newer SBF files.

So basically, you flash to stock 5.1 by using the SBF files (following the requirements and ONE of the options in http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...92&postcount=2 again,I usually recommend option 5), then root by following http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...ocked-t3140217

One other tip... Make a back up of your phone BEFORE YOU FLASH. copy all data from the /sdcard area to your PC, make a list of all your apps, etc. And seriously consider erasing your UserData while flashing (wipes the phone clear), or doing a factory reset before you flash.
I only say this because 5.1 seems more stable (and less buggy) if a factory reset is done before/during the upgrade process.

EDIT: The 5.1 SBF file you want for a Verizon XT1060 is GHOST_VERIZON_5.1_LPA23.12-39.7_cid2_CFC.xml.zip and is available from -> http://motofirmware.center/files/cat...st-generation/

I will give this a try if I can locate the correct SBF files, your information has helped greatly, Thanks!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes