[4.4 ROOT] SlapMyMoto 1.0 (Works with MotoWPNoMo)

Search This thread

mercado79

Oct 4, 2008
Boston, MA
No, that's not what I asked.

Go to the wayback machine and read the instructions for 0.5c, as captured on 12/7.

When that version was out, removing write protection permanently on /system was not required.

Instead, a special boot kernel was placed in the recovery partition, allowing you to boot to recovery, which booted the phone normally, except /system is not read only.

Now, we have version 1.0 which includes "MotoWPNomo" ... which permanently removes the write protection on /system.

My question is simple : why is this now required, and how does one achieve root using the old method without permanently removing /system's write protection?

Edit: there is a reason for asking this. "MotoWPNomo" is not reversible. This is not desired for some.

I've been wondering the same thing and would love to hear the real reason for the switch to including
MotoWPNomo in the rooting process.

The "simple" answer to your question is because that's the way it works. If you don't desire it don't use it.
You may be able to use .05c but I don't know.
If you use .05c you may not be able to gain root on 4.4.
If you choose to root using 1.0 and going to 4.4 and you permanently disabled write protection. Have no fear. When you take the 4.4.2 OTA your write protection will be restored.
Yes, 4.4 is rootable using version 0.5c. It was the original method used to root Kit Kat. I remember Jcase modified the process because those that had used MotoWPNomo previously were running into problems rooting using 0.5c.

All the "permanent" talk makes me uncomfortable. I'm still rooted the old fashion way (without MotoWPNomo), but wondering if I should do it over again before the 4.4.2 OTA starts getting pushed to VZ phones.
@jcase, any chance you might comment on this?

Last edited:

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
I've been wondering the same thing and would love to hear the real reason for the switch to including
MotoWPNomo in the rooting process.

Yes, 4.4 is rootable using version 0.5c. It was the original method used to root Kit Kat. I remember Jcase modified the process because those that had used MotoWPNomo previously were running into problems rooting using 0.5c.

All the "permanent" talk makes me uncomfortable. I'm still rooted the old fashion way (without MotoWPNomo), but wondering if I should do it over again before the 4.4.2 OTA starts getting pushed to VZ phones.
@jcase, any chance you might comment on this?

Because that is how i did it, anyone else is feel to come up with their own root and WP bypass

_litz

Oct 29, 2011
Alpharetta, GA
It doesn't defeat root but makes root almost useless. You can't make system changes. So you have root just very limited.

Sent from my XT1080 using xda app-developers app

Ok ... so what if you use the 0.5c method, where you replace the recovery with the customized boot image, that enabled write protection?

That's how it works under the 0.5 method currently.

Boot normal, /system is read-only. Boot recovery, you have read-write.

Will that method work for 4.4.2 when it comes along?

honestly, you really only need read-write in /system only rarely, like updating superuser, or busybox.

Otherwise, booting read-only works just fine.

(for those who mentioned AdAway, just boot /system read-write, then symbolically link hosts to /data, and let adaway update hosts in /data, problem solved)

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
Ok ... so what if you use the 0.5c method, where you replace the recovery with the customized boot image, that enabled write protection?

That's how it works under the 0.5 method currently.

Boot normal, /system is read-only. Boot recovery, you have read-write.

Will that method work for 4.4.2 when it comes along?

honestly, you really only need read-write in /system only rarely, like updating superuser, or busybox.

Otherwise, booting read-only works just fine.

(for those who mentioned AdAway, just boot /system read-write, then symbolically link hosts to /data, and let adaway update hosts in /data, problem solved)

You can't boot a customized image.

No it won't work in 4.4.2, nor will it work with the 4.4 bootloaders.

_litz

Oct 29, 2011
Alpharetta, GA
Ok, I'm confused here.

custom bootloader? huh? I'm talking about a pure stock X here, standard "motomaker" model with locked bootloader.

*Currently* ... the 0.5c method works for this model, provides a root path, is upgradable, and works fine in 4.4.

(e.g., downgrade to 4.2.2, gain root, take OTA, you end up with 4.4 and root; and /system is rw with the reboot via recovery method)

My question is ... this very same method, downgrade to 4.2.2 ... what happens if the OTA you take is 4.4.2 instead of 4.4 ?

Do you no longer have root? If root is still active, will the reboot via recovery allow r/w access to /system?

cpetersen2791

Mar 12, 2009
Google Pixel XL
Google Pixel 2 XL
Ok, I'm confused here.

custom bootloader? huh? I'm talking about a pure stock X here, standard "motomaker" model with locked bootloader.

*Currently* ... the 0.5c method works for this model, provides a root path, is upgradable, and works fine in 4.4.

(e.g., downgrade to 4.2.2, gain root, take OTA, you end up with 4.4 and root; and /system is rw with the reboot via recovery method)

My question is ... this very same method, downgrade to 4.2.2 ... what happens if the OTA you take is 4.4.2 instead of 4.4 ?

Do you no longer have root? If root is still active, will the reboot via recovery allow r/w access to /system?

If your already on 4.4.2 (Kitkat), you cannot downgrade. If you are on 4.4 w/ root, and take OTA, you get this weird root/non-root. Basically, root is there, but /system is not writable. That's how i have been reading this.

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
@jcase, I know you stated before that you have no intention on developing new root methods for the Moto X.
But is there any chance you have reconsidered and decided to take a look on 4.4.2?

No time, sorry.

Ok, I'm confused here.

No one mentions custom bootloader.

I am aware 0.5c works, but it has it's own flaws hence no longer beign available. Don't take OTAs with root, it is not a smart move.

JC

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
Quoting from Step 3 :

"Once the device has rebooted, please take the 4.4 OTA."

So what happens if the only OTA available is 4.4.2?

The device is not rooted at the step when you are taking the 4.4 OTA. The 4.4 update.zip is available from other sources and can be sideloaded in recovery.

Reactions: bqw371

M973

Dec 20, 2010
NJ
The device is not rooted at the step when you are taking the 4.4 OTA. The 4.4 update.zip is available from other sources and can be sideloaded in recovery.

This would mean that if only the 4.4.2 OTA was available, it's still possible to opt for the 4.4? Though I'd have to learn how to sideload a zip in recovery with a locked bootloader, but at least can be done it sounds like? As I was figuring I need to rush to do this process before only 4.4.2 was available.
Please let me know if I'm interpreting incorrectly :)

_litz

Oct 29, 2011
Alpharetta, GA
Can't you just use RSD-Lite to push the 4.4 update via bootloader/fastboot?

All it does, after all, is flash images to partitions.

The locked bootloader doesn't seem to care, when applying the 4.2.2 downgrade, after all ... what's the difference between that, and a 4.4 or 4.4.2 image?

The images themselves are all signed, which is what the bootloader cares about ... right?

Back to previous question ... if I'm understanding this right ...

at Step #3, the device is not rooted. You apply 4.4 update (via OTA or other means), then there are additional steps to gain root. Right?

And these additional steps do not work for 4.4.2? Or they do work, but with varying results?

M973

Dec 20, 2010
NJ
Can't you just use RSD-Lite to push the 4.4 update via bootloader/fastboot?

All it does, after all, is flash images to partitions.

The locked bootloader doesn't seem to care, when applying the 4.2.2 downgrade, after all ... what's the difference between that, and a 4.4 or 4.4.2 image?

The images themselves are all signed, which is what the bootloader cares about ... right?

Back to previous question ... if I'm understanding this right ...

at Step #3, the device is not rooted. You apply 4.4 update (via OTA or other means), then there are additional steps to gain root. Right?

And these additional steps do not work for 4.4.2? Or they do work, but with varying results?

If you meant my question re: locked bootloader, I just meant that it doesn't allow for a custom recovery (TWRP, etc) for flashing a .zip

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
...The locked bootloader doesn't seem to care, when applying the 4.2.2 downgrade, after all ... what's the difference between that, and a 4.4 or 4.4.2 image?

Rather than taking this SlapMyMoto thread off track, Please READ this other thread -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2635366 and you will get an understanding that if you flash 4.4.2 you can no longer downgrade to a previous ROM even if its signed, etc.

Reactions: mercado79

_litz

Oct 29, 2011
Alpharetta, GA
Rather than taking this SlapMyMoto thread off track, Please READ this other thread -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2635366 and you will get an understanding that if you flash 4.4.2 you can no longer downgrade to a previous ROM even if its signed, etc.

That is a very informative thread.

Basically, if I'm reading it correctly, the only "safe" 4.4.2 upgrade method involves piece-meal upgrading from a 4.4.2 SBF archive, and pointedly not upgrading the bootloader.

Per a few posts in that article, running the 4.4 bootloader with the 4.4.2 system does work, and preserves the ability to downgrade.

Someone please double check that I'm reading that right ... this stuff is too important to screw up ....

Note ... in the SBF, the bootloader and partition are the following two items :

<step operation="flash" partition="partition" filename="gpt.bin" MD5="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" />
<step operation="flash" partition="motoboot" filename="motoboot.img" MD5="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" />

Last edited:

SYNSYNACKACK

Nov 22, 2013
Blair Co., PA
So if I understand correctly, MotoWpNoMo does not permanently disable write protection, as with 4.4.2 it becomes enabled again?
What about using an app like ES File Explorer?
Under the settings, there is an option to Mount R/W which I did to System to remove some bloatware that wouldn't uninstall normally.
Would this work that same as having write protection off ?

flashallthetime

May 27, 2012
Stouffville
So if I understand correctly, MotoWpNoMo does not permanently disable write protection, as with 4.4.2 it becomes enabled again?
What about using an app like ES File Explorer?
Under the settings, there is an option to Mount R/W which I did to System to remove some bloatware that wouldn't uninstall normally.
Would this work that same as having write protection off ?

Yes if you take the ota it will flash the new boot loader 30.b4 and you can not downgrade back to the 4.4 boot loader. The only safe to prevent a possible brick situation is to keep the 4.4 bootloader and flash only the system.img, modem and boot.img from the sbf firmware.

Sent on my Gummy running Lenoto X

Reactions: bqw371

tejaskary

Jul 27, 2010
That is a very informative thread.

Basically, if I'm reading it correctly, the only "safe" 4.4.2 upgrade method involves piece-meal upgrading from a 4.4.2 SBF archive, and pointedly not upgrading the bootloader.

Per a few posts in that article, running the 4.4 bootloader with the 4.4.2 system does work, and preserves the ability to downgrade.

Someone please double check that I'm reading that right ... this stuff is too important to screw up ....

Note ... in the SBF, the bootloader and partition are the following two items :

<step operation="flash" partition="partition" filename="gpt.bin" MD5="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" />
<step operation="flash" partition="motoboot" filename="motoboot.img" MD5="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" />

Interesting....So, whenever the ATT/VZ 4.4.2 SBF is posted online, will be it possible to retain root by piece-meal upgrading from the SBF?

Cozume

Jan 30, 2014
Interesting....So, whenever the ATT/VZ 4.4.2 SBF is posted online, will be it possible to retain root by piece-meal upgrading from the SBF?
I believe that is what FATT is saying in his post just above yours - flash only the system.img, modem and boot.img from the 4.4.2 sbf firmware when it is available.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My apologies for taking so long, life is hectic. This is a "root path" for the 4.4 update, and in this case you will retain your stock recovery so features like remote wipe will continue to work. It requires you downgrading to 4.2.2 or already be on 4.2.2 before updating to 4.4.

First you must use MotoWPNoMo, if you haven't then you will need to. Use RockMyMoto to gain root, then use MotoWPNoMo, and then restore to the 4.2.2 Camera update.

SlapMyMoto requires you to be on the 4.2.2 Camera update, you can find the firmware for your device below:
    ATT- http://sbf.droid-developers.org/download.php?device=0&file=22
    Verizon - http://sbf.droid-developers.org/download.php?device=0&file=55

Step1)

Unzip SlapMyMoto-1,0.zip and push the jar file to your internal storage
    Code:
    adb push SlapMyMoto.jar /sdcard/SlapMyMoto.jar

Step2)

Use http://www.cydiaimpactor.com/ to open up a telnet session as system user on port 2222. We covered how to use Impactor and telnet in the RockMyMoto root, I won't be covering it again since this post is going to be long enough already, see here -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2509590 or http://rootzwiki.com/topic/107098-root-rockmymoto-yes-even-the-first-ota/

Connecting over telnet, and run Stage1 with this command:
    Code:
    dalvikvm -cp /sdcard/SlapMyMoto.jar SlapMyMoto

When the device tells you to reboot, do this manually with "adb reboot" or your power button. It will not auto reboot on this step

Step3)

Once the device has rebooted, run Impactor again and connect over telnet just like in the previous step, then run the same command
    Code:
    dalvikvm -cp /sdcard/SlapMyMoto.jar SlapMyMoto

Once the device has rebooted, please take the 4.4 OTA.

Step4)
    Now that we are on 4.4, we can finish the process with adb shell:

Code:
    adb shell
    cp /sdcard/install.sh /data/local/tmp/install.sh
    chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/install.sh
    echo "/data/local/tmp/install.sh" > /sys/kernel/uevent_helper

Then either wait, or toggle your bluetooth. Once the device reboots, you will have root.
    Don't mistake this for a rant or an attack, just getting it out there.

This process assumes a degree of 'able to figure some things out on your own.' It says you need to be on 4.2.2 camera update, stock version. Why would an individual flash to it if that's what they already have. It is not the job of this or any Dev to hold every users hand and write out a step by step for every scenario with diagrams and footnotes. If you don't know how to do something like flash an fxz or enable telnet, there are tools like the xda search tool and Google. If someone needs a picture book for every mod they want to do for their phone, this is the wrong hobby.

If, however, someone is trying to learn how to make something work such as communicating through adb or flashing an fxz and a search did not return any clear results, there is a Q and A forum for such questions. If you ask, someone will answer. I'm not against 'newbs' trying to get their teeth wet and being confused, we've all been there, but this thread's OP was as clear as he needed to be.

Sent from my XT1060

This is right on.

This is a "beta" preview, as I knew I wouldn't have time to get a clean one built and tested for quite a while. However I knew it would work for those that took the time to play with it, and knew what they were doing. People got spoiled with the simplicity of PwnMyMoto. One clicks are a double edged sword, they save me time when they are possible, yet it does not allow the end user to learn the more advanced stuff.

Dunno, maybe I'll drop a Christmas gift or something to make this all simple again. Depends how generous I feel and how much time I have.
    Updated to handle phones that have no write protection (MotoWPNoMo)
    Wish you could have finished helping me with my problem, but I'm sure whatever your reason is, it was necessary. We'll still be here when you come back.

I help a ton of people, and if they are not persistant, or catch me on IRC, its unlikely to get finished. Catch me on IRC. My family is more important than XDA users, so I am limiting my XDA time until things smooth out here
    Ok peoples, here is the VZW camera update file.

VZW_XT1060_4.2.2-13.9.0Q2.X-116-MX-17-57-X-1_CFC_1FF.xml.zip

Edit: I have updated the above linked file. The new one already has the "get var" line omitted from the xml.

There original unedited file can be found here