[Root 4.4.X] Pie for Motorola devices

Search This thread

classic757

Apr 15, 2013
Does anyone know how to kill the 4.4.3 OTA update notification? The root exploit is working great, but the 4.4.3 update screen pops up often and is kind of a pain.

This may help: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1856632
Hope it works! :)

P.S. You will need Root Explorer to do the process mentioned in the link.
Titanium Backup Pro (must be the pro version!) can be used to disable MotoOTA to prevent future notifications.

Last edited:

xDroid4Lifex

Jan 28, 2014
Does anyone know how to kill the 4.4.3 OTA update notification? The root exploit is working great, but the 4.4.3 update screen pops up often and is kind of a pain.

Go to Apps menu, swipe over to "All" and find MotorolaOTA tap on that, then uncheck "show notifications" if you don't have TiBu Pro to freeze apps.

Sent from my amazing rooted Droid Ultra

classic757

Apr 15, 2013
I know this is slightly off-topic, what is so good about GB? I saw a list if features and either they were old or I just wasn't impressed.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Gravity Box module gives you options to tweak and customize your phone that the stock menu does not give you. This is one of the advantages of having root. Similar to Rom Toolbox.

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

Great @op this is working on Moto G.

Is your Moto G unlocked or are you going to try this root exploit?

rjuds82

Nov 18, 2009
Gravity Box module gives you options to tweak and customize your phone that the stock menu does not give you. This is one of the advantages of having root. Similar to Rom Toolbox.

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

I believe he's saying he already used this for a tethered root on the Moto G version that's locked. Info was posted 2 days ago.

Reactions: classic757

andiroxu

Jan 1, 1970

Yeah my Moto G is unlocked and this teethered root method is working perfectly.

Y_Yan_C

Jan 25, 2010
Waterloo
hi, just wondering what am I doing wrong

C:\Users\User\Downloads\package1.1>adb push pie.jar /data/local/atvc
3438 KB/s (1538138 bytes in 0.436s)

C:\Users\User\Downloads\package1.1>adb push root.sh /data/local/atvc
12 KB/s (192 bytes in 0.015s)

C:\Users\User\Downloads\package1.1>adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/atvc/root.
sh

C:\Users\User\Downloads\package1.1>adb shell /data/local/atvc/root.sh
rm failed for /data/local/atvc/blop.asec, No such file or directory
rm failed for /data/local/atvc/blop, No such file or directory
mkdir failed for /data/local/atvc/dalvik-cache, File exists
pie by jcase
want to buy me pie? paypal-> jcase@cunninglogic.com

seems like I cant push the two files?

Last edited:

andiroxu

Jan 1, 1970
hi, just wondering what am I doing wrong

C:\Users\User\Downloads\package1.1>adb push pie.jar /data/local/atvc
3438 KB/s (1538138 bytes in 0.436s)

C:\Users\User\Downloads\package1.1>adb push root.sh /data/local/atvc
12 KB/s (192 bytes in 0.015s)

C:\Users\User\Downloads\package1.1>adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/atvc/root.
sh

C:\Users\User\Downloads\package1.1>adb shell /data/local/atvc/root.sh
rm failed for /data/local/atvc/blop, No such file or directory
pie by jcase

seems like I cant push the two files?

Yeah its working. Install Root checker to check for root.

Y_Yan_C

Jan 25, 2010
Waterloo
Yeah its working. Install Root checker to check for root.

says that my device does not have proper root access

EDIT: nevermind, got it after pushing superuser.apk, install-superuser.sh and su from motowpnomo

so I everytime I gain root I run motowpnomo for three times, everytime it reboots I have to do

adb shell /data/local/atvc/root.sh

all over again until one time it reboots and w/p 0 stays? then I install supersu?

EDIT: got w/p 0 to stay. trying to install supersu

Last edited:

zenofase

Feb 25, 2010
So I keep getting random reboots and sometimes after being rooted for a couple hours all my apps start force closing and I have to do a normal reboot (since Xposed force closes and I can't do the apps soft reboot). The only apps that require root I have installed are Xposed with Gravity Box, ES File Explorer with Root Explorer enabled, Wifi Tether, Super Su, and Root Checker. When I redo adb commands I get the following messages but still get root.

C:\....>adb shell /data/local/atvc/root.sh
pie by jcase

Anybody have any fixes or can help?

Thanks.

Last edited:

classic757

Apr 15, 2013
So I keep getting random reboots and sometimes after being rooted for a couple hours all my apps start force closing and I have to do a normal reboot (since Xposed force closes and I can't do the apps soft reboot). The only apps that require root I have installed are Xposed with Gravity Box, ES File Explorer with Root Explorer enabled, Wifi Tether, Super Su, and Root Checker. When I redo adb commands I get the following messages but still get root.

C:\....>adb shell /data/local/atvc/root.sh
pie by jcase

Anybody have any fixes or can help?

Thanks.

I believe you are getting the correct result as far as running the commands. See original post and post #11.
As for the FC'S I am not sure why you are getting those. I ran the exploit and am rooted with Xposed, gravity box module, Titanium Backup, Root Explorer, Superuser, Lucky Patcher, etc. installed with no force close issues. Of course without ability to write to system, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: zenofase

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC

These are almost certainly due to xposed. The exploit mounts a new ext4 image over /system/xbin, allowing su to actually exist somewhere other than just in memory. However, with write protection, when you push a file to anywhere else on system, it is not actually written. More than likely "Xposed" is disappearing mid usage, and it's modified apps_process with it. Thus boom, reboot.

zenofase

Feb 25, 2010
These are almost certainly due to xposed. The exploit mounts a new ext4 image over /system/xbin, allowing su to actually exist somewhere other than just in memory. However, with write protection, when you push a file to anywhere else on system, it is not actually written. More than likely "Xposed" is disappearing mid usage, and it's modified apps_process with it. Thus boom, reboot.

Thanks jcase! Thank you for all the work you do! So do you have any ideas on how to prevent this or until permanent root is established its best to not use xposed?

underdog1799

Jan 18, 2013
Salt Lake City

Why does this happen on some phones? My moto X has root, xposed with gravity box, es file explorer with root and mine hasn't force rebooted yet

Reactions: classic757

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
Why does this happen on some phones? My moto X has root, xposed with gravity box, es file explorer with root and mine hasn't force rebooted yet

probably combination of things, I assume if you left your phone long enough without a reboot it would happen

hermeez

Aug 14, 2008
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
When you first open xposed do NOT choose classical install. Choose the normal install, then SOFT reboot. Install your modules and ONLY SOFT REBOOT or you'll loose root.

I've already installed GravityBox, and a few other modules. Oh how I've missed xposed! It's really the only reason I like having root.

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Premium HD app

What normal install are you speaking about? Is this on an older framework? Under installation the only options you have are Classical. the other two are for recovery.

xposed version 2.6.1

Thx jcase for the method

xDroid4Lifex

Jan 28, 2014
What normal install are you speaking about? Is this on an older framework? Under installation the only options you have are Classical. the other two are for recovery.

xposed version 2.6.1

Thx jcase for the method

I was misunderstood just tap install with classical as the install option and make sure you only SOFT reboot

Sent from my amazing rooted Droid Ultra

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Changelog
    1.1 - doh
    fixes a bug where exploit only works once.

Pie is a root for motorola devices, should work up to and including 4.4.2.

I had hoped to save this until August however the bug was outed with 4.4.3, and detailed publicly by several people. It now has no value for my purposes. Sucks for me, great for you.

Vulnerability details:
    http://blog.cassidiancybersecurity.com/post/2014/06/Android-4.4.3,-or-fixing-an-old-local-root

This is a tethered root (think tethered jailbreak), meaning you have to run it each time you reboot in order to have root access. You do not get system write access, you do get root and busybox.

Usage:
    Code:
    adb push pie.jar /data/local/atvc

adb push root.sh /data/local/atvc

adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/atvc/root.sh

adb shell /data/local/atvc/root.sh

Expected output:
    Code:
    Retina:package jcase$ adb push pie.jar /data/local/atvc
    5288 KB/s (1538203 bytes in 0.284s)
    Retina:package jcase$ adb push root.sh /data/local/atvc
    81 KB/s (137 bytes in 0.001s)
    Retina:package jcase$ adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/atvc/root.sh
    Retina:package jcase$ adb shell /data/local/atvc/root.sh
    pie by jcase
    Retina:package jcase$ adb shell
    shell@ghost:/ $ su
    root@ghost:/ # id
    uid=0(root) gid=0(root) context=u:r:kernel:s0

Busybox license -> http://www.busybox.net/license.html
    BusyBox v1.20.2-Stericson (2012-07-04 21:33:31 CDT) multi-call binary.
    If busybox source is needed please ask me, while it is petty since you can get it from the obvious places, I will gladly package it on floppy disks and mail it media mail at your cost.

FAQ:
    Where is source?
    On my computer

Will it work on LG G3, Samsung <model>, Nexus 5?
    No

Will you root X?
    No, don't ask me.

You suck!
    Not really a question, but I get this a lot. This is the 5th exploit I have released for MotoX, bite me.

This doesn't work, will you help me?
    No, ask the community for support

Will you make this work on X?
    No, this exploit, as it is, will only work on motorola phones, and only some.

Will you do this for me?
    No

This doesn't work!
    Then you are probably running firmware that has been patched, you should have bought a dev edition.

Will you X?
    No

What is your favorite pie?
    I like apple pie with vanilla ice cream, and Boston cream pie.
    Fixed, download package1.1.zip and try that

Hi Jcase, for me works the first time, after reboot and try to re root, show the same issue

Code:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\stillthisguy\Moto X Toolkit>adb shell chmod 755 /data/loc
    al/atvc/root.sh

C:\Program Files (x86)\stillthisguy\Moto X Toolkit>adb shell /data/local/atvc/ro
    ot.sh
    pie by jcase

C:\Program Files (x86)\stillthisguy\Moto X Toolkit>adb shell
    su
    /system/bin/sh: su: not found
    127|shell@ghost:/ $

thanks

This is where I get the failure.

Code:
    su
    /system/bin/sh: su: not found

Here is a full step by step tutorial for anyone confused by the rooting instructions. If you like a visual aid here it is.
    Nice job, man. Even though I don't own a Moto device anymore, I thank you for working on exploits. Tough, and time consuming game, and your work is appreciated.