[Root] RockMyMoto (Yes, even the first OTA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

bozbeast

Jan 14, 2009
Quote:

adb push su /sdcard/
adb push RockMyMoto.zip /sdcard/
When I do this step I get an error about no such directory. Please help

---------- Post added at 02:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 AM ----------

Now says "read only file system"

---------- Post added at 03:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 AM ----------

Okay got past that.
Know saying telnet is not reconized as command

---------- Post added at 03:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 AM ----------

Okay I finally got it!! Yay Root!

It would be helpful if you posted what you did to fix these issues, particularly the telnet issue.

juancaperez2000

Jul 22, 2010
Hyattsville
OFF topic: please help new using ADB on my Mac, when i connect my phone on my Mac and run ./adb reboot bootloader the phone follow the instructions but on fastboot mode it dont recognize comands, if i typ ./adb reboot, show me like device not conected, how can i fix this, thanks in advance

Last edited:

djdubw

Oct 29, 2013
Nexus 7 (2013)
jcase, thanks for doing this. You truly are the face of this scene. I have a question before taking this root. Will I be able to update to KitKat after I take this, or will I be stuck on this version? If so will updating to KK require another exploit, and how much work is involved in updating after you've taken a root?

stillthisguy

Dec 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
OFF topic: please help new using ADB on my Mac, when i connect my phone on my Mac and run ./adb reboot bootloader the phone follow the instructions but on fastboot mode it dont recognize comands, if i typ ./adb reboot, show me like device not conected, how can i fix this, thanks in advance

If you are in fastboot you can't send adb commands, only fastboot commands. just type fastboot then enter and you will see all the commands you can use.

SubliminalME

Mar 23, 2011
Princeton
Still no luck on my setup. Windows 7, adb working like a champ, cydia boots, pushed files to phone, cannot get the telnet to work, even though router is setup properly and telnet enabled in features. Says file already exists. :(

Last edited:

emerica243

Aug 1, 2010
jcase, thanks for doing this. You truly are the face of this scene. I have a question before taking this root. Will I be able to update to KitKat after I take this, or will I be stuck on this version? If so will updating to KK require another exploit, and how much work is involved in updating after you've taken a root?

Im assuming this breaks recovery like the original pwnmymoto did. Therefore kitkat OTA wouldnt complete. You have to RSD back and then take the OTA of kitkat.

aford89

Oct 9, 2010
I am up and running i was able to telnet to my phone after running cydia however it gives me system is write protected please run adb reboot, then re-run RockMyMoto

I Type adb reboot and i get
sh: adb: Permission denied

What am i doing wrong?

Nevermind got it all figured out. Have to be out of telnet to use adb reboot. i am now fully rooted! thanks alot for the work jcase you are the man

Last edited:

djdubw

Oct 29, 2013
Nexus 7 (2013)
Im assuming this breaks recovery like the original pwnmymoto did. Therefore kitkat OTA wouldnt complete. You have to RSD back and then take the OTA of kitkat.

I'm very new to this. When you say RSD back, does that recover to my original unrooted version of what I'm currently running? Is this a tough/dangerous process? Also I appreciate the quick reply emerica.

emerica243

Aug 1, 2010
I'm very new to this. When you say RSD back, does that recover to my original unrooted version of what I'm currently running? Is this a tough/dangerous process? Also I appreciate the quick reply emerica.

it means you restore your phone to a factory state using the stock firmware file.

http://sbf.droid-developers.org/ghost/list.php

Its as simple as hooking up your phone, usin RSDLite selecting the firmware file, and clicking start, and your phoenm restores to a factory stock state

planktoid

Aug 24, 2012
Vernon, British Columbia

Please read the disclaimer at the top of the OP.

The exploit is similar to pwnmymoto, it impacts recovery/, and you can expect the same impact for OTA updates, and you will have to follow the similar steps before accepting an OTA to make sure it applies (or flash tethered image).

lowvolt1

Feb 29, 2012
Quote:

adb push su /sdcard/

---------- Post added at 02:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 03:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 AM ----------

Okay got past that.

---------- Post added at 03:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 AM ----------

First, let me say, I am not new to rooting but have always used a "one click" method.
Secondly, I have never used adb and didn't really know what it was, although seeing it in print many times.
Third, I do have a windows 7 PC and know how to use Google. This coupled with a little thought, got me through it.
I googled how to use adb. And was able to set it up. After finding my IP address, I moved on to the next step. When I received the "no such directory" error, I realized that the files I was trying to push were not in that directory.
I moved the files and started the process over. I then got past that part and received the "read only" error. That was simply due to my back slashes being forward slashes, in the command line.
After I moved past that step, it was time to telnet. I kept getting a "command not recognized" error. Again I turned to Google. I found out that on windows 7 you have to go into control panel and turn telnet on. I did that and tried to connect to the device following the instructions in the OP. I kept getting a "can't connect to device" error. I remembered reading in the OP that on windows and with certain router settings you may not be able to connect. I went back to that part of the OP and clicked on the " here" link. I then was directed to the how to for windows RockMyMoto thread. I followed that tutorial and without a hitch, I am rooted.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

murso74

Oct 30, 2010
I'm curious why you have to use adb... I did this by copying the files from my computer to my SD card, without the need for the more confusing adb commands and it worked just fine..

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

djdubw

Oct 29, 2013
Nexus 7 (2013)
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This will void your warranty, like all root exploits. Use this at your own risk. Do not take OTAs on rooted devices unless you know what you are doing, as it may cause a bootloop or a soft brick.

RockMyMoto is designed for MotoXs that have recieved the Camera update, patching PwnMyMoto. If you are unsure of your firmware, try PwnMyMoto first.

First step is to install Cydia Impactor, by Saurik. http://www.cydiaimpactor.com/ This is required. You will also need adb installed and working, and be comfortable with the command line. Your phone must be on the same network as your PC.

Figure out the ip address of your phone:

adb shell getprop dhcp.wlan0.ipaddress

unzip RockMyMoto-{version}.zip and push the exploit and su to /sdcard/:

adb push su /sdcard/
    adb push RockMyMoto.jar /sdcard/

Run Impactor and select "# start telnetd as system on port 2222", then hit start.

Once the process is complete, run telnet:

telnet {your phone's ipaddress} 2222

Run the exploit through telnet

dalvikvm -cp /sdcard/RockMyMoto.jar RockMyMoto

The exploit will tell you to use adb to reboot:

Run the exploit through telnet for the second time, it will reboot on it's own:

Run the exploit through telnet for the third time, it will not reboot:

Wait 0-60 seconds, for su to install, then install SuperSu from the market.

Enjoy!

Known issues:

If you have AP isolation mode enabled in your AP (aka WiFi router) you won't be able to connect to your phone via telnet, disable isolation.

Windows users having trouble see here
    First, let me say, I am not new to rooting but have always used a "one click" method.
    Secondly, I have never used adb and didn't really know what it was, although seeing it in print many times.
    Third, I do have a windows 7 PC and know how to use Google. This coupled with a little thought, got me through it.
    I googled how to use adb. And was able to set it up. After finding my IP address, I moved on to the next step. When I received the "no such directory" error, I realized that the files I was trying to push were not in that directory.
    I moved the files and started the process over. I then got past that part and received the "read only" error. That was simply due to my back slashes being forward slashes, in the command line.
    After I moved past that step, it was time to telnet. I kept getting a "command not recognized" error. Again I turned to Google. I found out that on windows 7 you have to go into control panel and turn telnet on. I did that and tried to connect to the device following the instructions in the OP. I kept getting a "can't connect to device" error. I remembered reading in the OP that on windows and with certain router settings you may not be able to connect. I went back to that part of the OP and clicked on the " here" link. I then was directed to the how to for windows RockMyMoto thread. I followed that tutorial and without a hitch, I am rooted.

And this is how you do it! I wish everyone would do this instead of emailing me or what not.

I don't have windows experience, last time I really used windows, telnet was part of the default install.
    Thread closed, I won't be supporting Moto X anymore. I no longer have the time, nor patience for it.

Honestly, at this point I'd be happy with root even with write protection. I mainly wanna install abp and be able to tether. Customizing the status bar etc is secondary. If jcase has a method ready, I don't understand why he wouldn't post it and collect the bounty. Work and family excuses are fine, but not being able to post a thread for months because of that doesn't make any sense. Maybe I'm naïve, but finding the exploit would appear to be more time consuming than posting a thread. Or maybe he wants to milk the bounty for as long as be can.
    TL;DR: I'll believe it when I see it.

See it, believe it, or don't. Not my concern

Thanks to posts like mine..? I'm not allowed to be frustrated that I can't root my Moto X? Maybe you should grow some thicker skin. Why even mention the exploit if you're not gonna contribute it to the community? And you're only gonna tell us about it after it's already been patched? Well that's real helpful! Looks like we've lost a valuable dev to the dark side.

Because of the rude remarks of people without the patience to wait until I no longer have a need for the purpose it was developed. I didn't come here and tell people, someone else took a post of mine from elsewhere, and linked to it here.
    Quote:

adb push su /sdcard/

Okay got past that.

i am definitely a noob and this took me way longer than it should have to figure out. i've seen "adb" before but have never used it; i had no idea (and still don't know) what telnet is; and for the love of all things holy, here's the noob-friendiest way i can describe the process:
    NOTE: DON'T BE LIKE ME. READ THROUGH THIS AT LEAST ONCE BEFORE ATTEMPTING. SERIOUSLY.

1. make sure your phone is on the same wifi network as your computer. i'm using Windows 7 x64

2. download Cydia Impactor

3. learn how to use adb--basically, you have to download Java JDK and Android SDK.
    here are the guides that helped me to that:

http://www.howtogeek.com/125769/
    http://www.androidguys.com/2010/11/23/adb-android-debug-bridge/

the sticking point i was running into was that cmd/my computer wasn't recognizing my phone; i had to install the phone drivers from moto's website

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/94931/p/30,6720,8696

4. once connected via adb in command prompt, find your phone's IP
    (adb shell getprop dhcp.wlan0.ipaddress)

5. unzip RockMyMoto-1.1 in the SAME DIRECTORY as where the adb.exe file is in.

6. push the exploit and su to the phone via adb
    (adb push su /sdcard/)
    (adb push RockMyMoto.jar /sdcard/)

7. run Cydia Impactor with this: (# start telnetd as system on port 2222)

8. after that's done--make sure you watch the OP's youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyUFB2HjSME) to see it in action--it's time for telnet.
    don't know what telnet is? me either. however, after googling, this site helped me enable it on my machine:
    http://www.fettesps.com/windows-7-enable-telnet/
    okay, now what?
    this tutorial was a major major MAJOR help
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2509676

heads up, the very last step (running the exploit through telnet for a third time where it would not reboot and wouldn't root) wouldn't work for me for whatever reason. i walked away from my computer in frustration, pulled out the bourbon and chilled for a couple hours. came back, exited all of the open telnet and cmd windows, and re-attempted that last bit. it worked then! i don't understand why, but it worked then for me. hopefully you won't have to be drunk with a newly rooted phone like i was last night.

aaaaand that's it i think. p.s. i'm back to being sober lol. i am by no way a pro at this but i hope i helped someone through this (rather intimidating) task.

major thanks to jcase, lowvolt1, saurik, and everyone else in this thread who has helped out. you guys rock.