Dear fellow XDA'ers, i have written a quick and simple script to tie in all of the great work done by jcase and beaups that helps you root your Moto X. This script simply follows the instructions written by jcase and beaups and automates those scripts with a simple menu.
This script should technically work for "any" Moto X on "any" carrier, provided the methods contained within have the same success rate across all carriers. I do not have the capacity, nor experience, to trap for all situations.
This script ASSUMES that you already have the Motorola drivers installed and your device has successfully connected to your computer via USB Debugging Mode. If you need the drivers, they can be found here.
- Download and extract this script on to your Windows Desktop.
- Download ALL of the following to the same folder as the GO!.CMD ("640k's Moto X Root Script" Folder). These files should NOT be unzipped:
- your specific 4.2.2 factory image.
and/or 4.4 factory images (if you are on 4.4, you will need BOTH images).
- jcase's RockMyMoto (4.2.2) and SlapMyMoto (4.4).
- beaups' MotoWpNoMo.
- Saurik's Cydia Impactor
- your specific 4.2.2 factory image.
- Execute Go!.CMD and follow the on-screen prompts.
- Moto X Firmware Page
- jcase's RockMyMoto Thread
- jcase's SlapMyMoto Thread
- beaups' MotoWpNoMo Thread
- Saurik's Cydia Impactor Page
- I make no warranties of any kind regarding the accuracy or efficiency of this script or the processes contained within. This script was tested on a single device and was written based off of the instructions provided within these forums. You can perform these steps yourself!
- jcase will NOT support the use of this script. Should you run in to issues with any of the functionality/procedures written specifically by jcase, you will not be supported by jcase unless you are following his methods.
- beaups will NOT support the use of this script. Should you run in to issues with any of the functionality/procedures written specifically by beaups, you will not be supported by beaups unless you are following his methods.
Because I have compiled other's hard work into a command-line script, i have decided to distribute my script uncompiled. That way, in the event of major changes, significant errors, etc., that I don't have time to address, the user community can lend a hand. If you find my work useful, please Thank Me.
- Make sure your device is fully charged before beginning!
- Some people have reported an inability to flash their device, have received "unknown errors", weird partition errors and general chaos during the flashing/imaging process. If this happens to you, try a different USB port. I have read threads/seen reports where sometimes USB 3.0 ports cause failures during this process. Change to a USB 2.0 port and try again.
- In general, it is difficult to completely brick your device using this method. As long as you can get to the fastboot menu, your device is recoverable. If your phone will not power on, you did not follow one of the two warnings above.
- If "Waiting for device" seems to be taking a really long time (your device is ready, but the script hasn't picked it up yet), try either turning off USB Debugging and then back on, or try removing the USB cable and re-inserting it.
- If you are on 4.4, looking for root, your device will be re-imaged two times with 4.2.2. Don't input your details until the 2nd time, to avoid having to repeat your effort.
- Connect to your WiFi before enabling USB Debugging Mode to avoid IP Address errors. The batch script tends to get funny on some of the retries. I've tried working out most of the bugs.
- I'm confident I haven't worked out 100% of the bugs in this script, although I've tried very hard. I've only tested it with one device, the XT1060. If you have issues, please do not PM me, post them here in the thread.
- If for some reason the script abnormally ends or you close out of it, without running the cleanup process at the end, ADB will remain present and cause an error in the script, which will cause the script to fail. Browse to the folder with the CMD prompt and type "ADB kill-server" (kill-server is case-sensitive). This will get the script running again.
Thanks jcase, beaups, saurik and anyone else who has contributed to this effort!
- 1/9/2014: Initial Release. Only tested on one device. Better bug management within each step, more options at advanced menu, including ADB Debug Window. Removed auto-upgrade to 4.4. I suspect this is where my woes were.
- 1/9/2014: Removed ADMINISTRATOR requirement. I don't think this will do any harm, but it was creating conflicts with Windows 8.
- 1/9/2014: Changed TELNET conditions to trap for user interaction.
- 1/14/2014: Adjusted initial TELNET session.
- 1/14/2014: Corrected a type on line 366 (would have given an error).
- 1/15/2014: Re-worked TELNET routine again.
- 1/16/2014: Simplified menu options, included automated checking for write protection. This check will skip steps once WP has already been turned off.
- 1/16/2014: Included additional instruction, including more messaging and better message waiting.
- 1/16/2014: Added additional messaging for troubleshooting purposes.
- 1/16/2014: Corrected a bug related to BATCH language that was ending the TELNET steps.
- 1/17/2014: Made another adjustment to TELNET handling.
- 1/17/2014: Added additional error checking.
- 1/17/2014: Added some wait time on the second TELNET phase.
- 2/28/2014: Canceled script effort (ran out of time). With 4.4.2 released, none of the current root methods are valid or work.