FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP] Moto Skip tag creator

1,987 posts
Thanks Meter: 538
 
By krohnjw, Inactive Recognized Developer on 4th October 2013, 08:56 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Here's a quick APK to allow you to create a base Skip tag to activate NFC unlock. Apparently non dev devices don't have this available out of the box.

A few notes.
  1. You can't re-write this tag using the Moto X. The NFC service intercepts these tags and won't deliver them to another app to write (even with foregroundDispatch set up as far as I can tell). You can freely overwrite it with any other device though and it will work with any app again on the Moto X
  2. This should allow you to use a tag as a Skip tag as well as expose the NFC Lock Screen option and Manage NFC Unlock options under security settings (see screenshot) if you don't have an official skip tag. Using this you can create new skip tags using any writable tag and add them to your supported tag list.

Grab it here: http://goo.gl/5bUqPW

NFC Lock settings
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	device-2013-10-04-145159.jpg
Views:	2472
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	2302040  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to krohnjw For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift krohnjw Ad-Free
 
 
4th October 2013, 09:47 PM |#2  
Yoshiofthewire's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
FYI: Once you have the NFC unlock option in the lock screen part of setting you can just hold up any writable tag at the add new tag step, and the phone will write the skip code on to the tag.
4th October 2013, 09:52 PM |#3  
krohnjw's Avatar
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Plainfield
Thanks Meter: 538
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshiofthewire

I have a skip, and have used it on this phone ... but, if you have the NFC unlock option in the lock screen part of setting you can just hold up any writable tag at the add new tag step, and the phone will automagicly write the skip code on to the tag. You can even use a blank tag as your primary tag. No Skip tag needed.

No, the phone doesn't tell you this.
Just an FYI.

This is for everyone that does not have this exposed. Apparently this is most carrier devices. The NFC unlock lock screen does not appear until after they scan a skip tag. This is just to encode a single skip so they can scan it and effectively unlock the option. Dev devices don't appear to have this issue (gsm at least) as it is available out of the box and works fine with any writable, supported tag.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krohnjw For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift krohnjw Ad-Free
4th October 2013, 09:53 PM |#4  
Yoshiofthewire's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Yeah, saw that. Edited post to show that.
mentose457
5th October 2013, 01:55 AM |#5  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Thanks for the app OP. It worked great. I programmed two tags. I also have an assortment of magnets I'm testing for turning on NFC.

Sent from my Moto X.
5th October 2013, 05:52 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 129
 
More
What am I missing? I have a VZW Rooted Moto X (non-dev). I installed this app but don't see the NFC security options. I even went into the Skip app and scanned a tag and it said created successfully.
5th October 2013, 05:53 PM |#7  
krohnjw's Avatar
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Plainfield
Thanks Meter: 538
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by km8j

What am I missing? I have a VZW Rooted Moto X (non-dev). I installed this app but don't see the NFC security options. I even went into the Skip app and scanned a tag and it said created successfully.

Tap that tag you created, it will take you through the setup. After that the NFC unlock options will be present.
The Following User Says Thank You to krohnjw For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift krohnjw Ad-Free
5th October 2013, 06:01 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 129
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by krohnjw

Tap that tag you created, it will take you through the setup. After that the NFC unlock options will be present.

That literally does absolutely nothing. I've tried with two tags. It says write successful but subsequent scans (while app is open or closed) do literally nothing. FWIW, clicking "settings" does nothing either.
5th October 2013, 06:04 PM |#9  
krohnjw's Avatar
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Plainfield
Thanks Meter: 538
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by km8j

That literally does absolutely nothing. I've tried with two tags. It says write successful but subsequent scans (while app is open or closed) do literally nothing. FWIW, clicking "settings" does nothing either.

Beats me. This just creates a copy of a skip tag. Once the tag is encoded as a skip tag it won't be delivered to apps any longer and should be picked up by the moto skip sw. You didn't freeze these moto apps as recommended in many threads to save battery? Outside of that idk. It's handled internally by the NFC service and the moto software.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krohnjw For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift krohnjw Ad-Free
5th October 2013, 06:49 PM |#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 129
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by krohnjw

Beats me. This just creates a copy of a skip tag. Once the tag is encoded as a skip tag it won't be delivered to apps any longer and should be picked up by the moto skip sw. You didn't freeze these moto apps as recommended in many threads to save battery? Outside of that idk. It's handled internally by the NFC service and the moto software.

Wait do I NEED to have a Skip already? I froze some apps but don't think anything related. I can check.
mentose457
5th October 2013, 06:52 PM |#11  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by km8j

Wait do I NEED to have a Skip already? I froze some apps but don't think anything related. I can check.

You do not need to have a skip. That is the whole point of the app.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
moto skip, moto x, nfc, skip

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes