Honor View 10

ROOT METHODS for MOTO X4 [7.1.1/8.0]

1,451 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,058

By mightysween, Senior Member on 28th October 2017, 10:13 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
UPDATED 1-11-2018: ADDED OREO ROOT METHODS
---

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! I am not responsible if your device turns into a $400 paperweight.

Only tested by me on XT-1900-1. Some have had success on other variants... but YMMV.

PLEASE ENSURE YOU ARE USING THE PROPER METHOD FOR YOUR FIRMWARE! (There are Nougat and Oreo sections here now)

WARNING: Several users have run into trouble trying to do factory reset from in the Android menus after root. (THIS IS TRUE ON MANY DEVICES!!). Just don't do it...use TWRP instead.

Obviously, with any tinkering you're risking your device and you need to know how to get yourself out of trouble if you find yourself in it. Make backups, have stock firmware (especially stock boot.img) on hand.

Rooting WILL break your ability to receive OTA updates. Period. Please don't ask me to figure out how to flash an OTA once you are rooted, because my answer will be to flash stock firmware, take the OTA and then re-root.

OREO ROOT METHOD #1:
1. Download Magisk 15.3 patched boot image: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uM5...w?usp=drivesdk
2. From bootloader, flash patched boot image with fastboot flash boot <name of file>
3. Reboot and check if Magisk Manager is installed (sometimes it fails...). If not, download and install latest Magisk Manager and check that Magisk is properly installed and running.

OREO ROOT METHOD #2:
0. Ensure you are starting from stock boot. I HIGHLY recommend flashing factory 8.0 and starting fresh.
1. Download SuperSU 2.82 SR5: https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...v2-05-t2868133
2. Download fastboot BOOTABLE TWRP image: https://drive.google.com/open?id=12C...CZQNKEqkprBO0u
3. Copy SuperSU to SD card
4. From bootloader type: fastboot boot twrp-x4-BOOTABLE.img (don't flash this...BOOT it.)
5. From TWRP flash SuperSU ZIP
6. Reboot and check if SuperSU app is installed. If not, download/install it, update binaries, boot back to TWRP and flash SuperSU again.
**NOTE: Root works WITHOUT the SuperSU app or any other root manager! This is obviously dangerous from a security perspective so make sure the app is present and running. (i.e. that you are prompted to grant/deny root).

NOUGAT PREFERRED METHOD:
As of 1-2-2018, the "beta4" version of TWRP on this thread (https://forum.xda-developers.com/mot...sting-t3707432) is working on UNENCRYPTED devices. The Motorola X4 stock firmware is specifically designed to encrypt your device on the first boot even if you have formatted and removed encryption. So, the process invovles flashing TWRP, formatting data, patching the system to prevent re-encryption, and flashing SuperSU. If you want TWRP recovery with root, are willing to format and lose all data, and are willing to leave your data UNENCRYPTED (!), please use the link above to travel to the TWRP thread -- otherwise, stick with the original method below.

NOUGAT 7.1.1 ORIGINAL METHOD:

All credit for this belongs to @Chainfire for his amazing tools at http://firmware.mobi. I simply used his tool to create this image and test it. This means, if you prefer, you can go to that site and download the CF Auto Root package for this device. Just realize that the image you are downloading was uploaded by me... so it isn't gonna turn out any different.

Step 1: UNLOCK your bootloader
Step 2: download boot.img from below
Step 3: connect your device via USB
Step 4: Open ROOT terminal and verify connection with "adb devices"
Step 5: Reboot to bootloader with: adb reboot bootloader
Step 6: Wait for bootloader to boot, then type the following command to boot the image (we are booting from the patched image, not flashing it!)
Quote:

fastboot boot boot.img

NOTE: Device will reboot several times... just let it be. May take a few minutes!

DOWNLOAD: https://mega.nz/#!UtMAAawQ!T-QCLdAQ1...-DihZVdJMXdpzg
MD5: 57e7e2f446a43d9bf9b1f22865eb412c

Credit: Chainfire, http://firmware.mobi, Magisk: https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...mless-t3473445

---
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to mightysween For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mightysween Ad-Free

28th October 2017, 10:16 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Maine/USA

More
Screenshot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171028-161539.png
Views:	1714
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	4316871  
The Following User Says Thank You to mightysween For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mightysween Ad-Free
28th October 2017, 10:43 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Maine/USA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightysween

Screenshot

Now... on to building the device tree and vendor

UPDATE: Geez, this is VERY different than anything I have done before. There is no recovery image at all!? I need to get up to speed on these new filesystems, I guess.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mightysween For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mightysween Ad-Free
28th October 2017, 11:42 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Great news - thank you!

Any chance you could post a checksum for the modified boot.img? I'm just paranoid given our issues with corrupt downloads from the Moto server and Mega as of late!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caain For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift caain Ad-Free
29th October 2017, 12:16 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Maine/USA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by caain

Great news - thank you!

Any chance you could post a checksum for the modified boot.img? I'm just paranoid given our issues with corrupt downloads from the Moto server and Mega as of late!

Done, check OP.

Also, have been trying to get it uploaded directly to XDA but not working... gives no errors, but maybe too big?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mightysween For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mightysween Ad-Free
29th October 2017, 02:21 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 58

More
I did not realize I could not unlock the bootloader on the Amazon version of this phone.

I will probably have to return it and get a different phone.

Sucks.

EDIT: I specifically bought the device because it said unlocked. I didn't know it just meant carrier unlocked.
29th October 2017, 02:27 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Maine/USA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjingle

I did not realize I could not unlock the bootloader on the Amazon version of this phone.

I will probably have to return it and get a different phone.

Sucks.

Bummer... I suspect most of the variants other than the XT1900-1 may be in the same boat.
29th October 2017, 02:52 AM |#8  

More
Quote:

Bummer... I suspect most of the variants other than the XT1900-1 may be in the same boat.

The phone is labeled on the box and the SKU in about phone as XT1900-1. Just can't get an unlock code from Motorola, I believe because I bought it through Amazon.

I'm willing to try anything to unlock. Don't want to have to return the phone, just won't deal with a locked bootloader.

It was a pain to get my old phone (Droid Turbo) unlocked and will not deal with the pain it was to do that again.

If anyone has advice PM me.

EDIT: Half the reason I buy stuff is to tinker with it as a hobby.
29th October 2017, 02:56 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Maine/USA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjingle

The phone is labeled on the box and the SKU in about phone as XT1900-1. Just can't get an unlock code from Motorola, I believe because I bought it through Amazon.

I'm willing to try anything to unlock. Don't want to have to return the phone, just won't deal with a locked bootloader.

It was a pain to get my old phone (Droid Turbo) unlocked and will not deal with the pain it was to do that again.

If anyone has advice PM me.

Ah, so restricted by IMEI. They did that with Moto Gs back a few years.
29th October 2017, 04:05 AM |#10  

More
Quote:

Ah, so restricted by IMEI. They did that with Moto Gs back a few years.

So... If I return this phone and buy one from Best Buy do you think that bootloader would be unlockable?
29th October 2017, 04:22 AM |#11  
Flag Santa Fe, NM
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I got one from best buy and yes i unlocked it
running on verizon. I just did this and waiting for the phone to finish booting up. Taking a while here.

---------- Post added at 03:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 AM ----------

has anyone tried to flash recovery yet? Or is this way to much in infancy for that?
\
The Following User Says Thank You to hotpl8 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hotpl8 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)