Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

ROOT METHODS for MOTO X4 [7.1.1/8.0]

1,542 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,308

By mightysween, Senior Member on 28th October 2017, 09:13 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
UPDATED 3-30-2018:

Offical TWRP has been released for this device.

https://twrp.me/motorola/motorolamotox4.html

It seems to have a couple active maintainers.

TWRP builds linked from here are no longer active, but the bootable may remain important to use.

---

Update 05/31/2018:

Step 1: install or boot TWRP
Step 2: flash your desired root package (magisk, SuperSU, etc)

That's all.
The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to mightysween For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mightysween Ad-Free

28th October 2017, 09:16 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Maine/USA

More
Screenshot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171028-161539.png
Views:	4736
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	4316871  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mightysween For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mightysween Ad-Free
28th October 2017, 09:43 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Maine/USA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightysween

Screenshot

Now... on to building the device tree and vendor

UPDATE: Geez, this is VERY different than anything I have done before. There is no recovery image at all!? I need to get up to speed on these new filesystems, I guess.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mightysween For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mightysween Ad-Free
28th October 2017, 10:42 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Great news - thank you!

Any chance you could post a checksum for the modified boot.img? I'm just paranoid given our issues with corrupt downloads from the Moto server and Mega as of late!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caain For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift caain Ad-Free
28th October 2017, 11:16 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Maine/USA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by caain

Great news - thank you!

Any chance you could post a checksum for the modified boot.img? I'm just paranoid given our issues with corrupt downloads from the Moto server and Mega as of late!

Done, check OP.

Also, have been trying to get it uploaded directly to XDA but not working... gives no errors, but maybe too big?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mightysween For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mightysween Ad-Free
29th October 2017, 01:21 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 58

More
I did not realize I could not unlock the bootloader on the Amazon version of this phone.

I will probably have to return it and get a different phone.

Sucks.

EDIT: I specifically bought the device because it said unlocked. I didn't know it just meant carrier unlocked.
29th October 2017, 01:27 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Maine/USA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjingle

I did not realize I could not unlock the bootloader on the Amazon version of this phone.

I will probably have to return it and get a different phone.

Sucks.

Bummer... I suspect most of the variants other than the XT1900-1 may be in the same boat.
29th October 2017, 01:52 AM |#8  

More
Quote:

Bummer... I suspect most of the variants other than the XT1900-1 may be in the same boat.

The phone is labeled on the box and the SKU in about phone as XT1900-1. Just can't get an unlock code from Motorola, I believe because I bought it through Amazon.

I'm willing to try anything to unlock. Don't want to have to return the phone, just won't deal with a locked bootloader.

It was a pain to get my old phone (Droid Turbo) unlocked and will not deal with the pain it was to do that again.

If anyone has advice PM me.

EDIT: Half the reason I buy stuff is to tinker with it as a hobby.
29th October 2017, 01:56 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Maine/USA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjingle

The phone is labeled on the box and the SKU in about phone as XT1900-1. Just can't get an unlock code from Motorola, I believe because I bought it through Amazon.

I'm willing to try anything to unlock. Don't want to have to return the phone, just won't deal with a locked bootloader.

It was a pain to get my old phone (Droid Turbo) unlocked and will not deal with the pain it was to do that again.

If anyone has advice PM me.

Ah, so restricted by IMEI. They did that with Moto Gs back a few years.
The Following User Says Thank You to mightysween For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mightysween Ad-Free
29th October 2017, 03:05 AM |#10  

More
Quote:

Ah, so restricted by IMEI. They did that with Moto Gs back a few years.

So... If I return this phone and buy one from Best Buy do you think that bootloader would be unlockable?
29th October 2017, 03:22 AM |#11  
Flag Santa Fe, NM
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I got one from best buy and yes i unlocked it
running on verizon. I just did this and waiting for the phone to finish booting up. Taking a while here.

---------- Post added at 03:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 AM ----------

has anyone tried to flash recovery yet? Or is this way to much in infancy for that?
\
The Following User Says Thank You to hotpl8 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hotpl8 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)