FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Will Moto X4 get project Treble support whenever it gets Android Oreo?

Yes

12 Vote(s)
40.00%
No, afraid as Nokia, OnePlus phones didn't get

8 Vote(s)
26.67%
Can't say... Let's wait and watch!!

10 Vote(s)
33.33%

Will Moto X4 get project Treble support whenever it gets Android Oreo?

71 posts
Thanks Meter: 14

By hpgramani, Member on 7th December 2017, 05:56 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Update
Moto hasn't enabled treble in Indian Moto X4 (XT1900-2)

Many OEM like Nokia, OnePlus etc are disabling Project Treble on their devices in Oreo updating stating that Treble requires re-partitioning of internal storage which if done via OTA has a high probability of bricking the phone.
https://m.gsmarena.com/current_nokia...news-28590.php

https://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_exp...news-28616.php

So will Moto X4 get Treble in Oreo Update? I'm afraid it might not get it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180104-113738.png
Views:	446
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	4378993  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hpgramani For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hpgramani Ad-Free
7th December 2017, 10:28 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Is Project Treble linked with the A/B Partitions ? If yes, we have already these partitions on our Moto X4 (non Android One Version) so I hope it will be compatible...
7th December 2017, 11:36 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taolefeng

Is Project Treble linked with the A/B Partitions ? If yes, we have already these partitions on our Moto X4 (non Android One Version) so I hope it will be compatible...

Nobody knows for sure yet. We'll have to wait and see when Oreo drops.
8th December 2017, 12:03 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
x4 was launched quite a bit after oreo was already officially released, and it's a mid-end phone by Motorola (they even give moto g4 oreo update, even though it's because they feel pressured due to previous mistaken promise, they still said they 'll go through with it...) .

It could definitely increase sales of the moto x4 and make it more able to compete with devices that will be released on Oreo in the next months coming. It would mean that customers will get updates as frequently as other devices released on Oreo,

Moto x4 retail version is released with A/B partitions just like Pixel 2XL. Seems like A/B partitioning is essential for Treble, which devices like 1+5 lack indeed.

So these are 5 factors which could contribute to treble being activated when Oreo comes to the x4 but treble could just as likely not be on it...

There are phones that got released way before the x4 that did pull it off, so it's possible.
8th December 2017, 05:21 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpgramani

Many OEM like Nokia, OnePlus etc are disabling Project Treble on their devices in Oreo updating stating that Treble requires re-partitioning of internal storage which if done via OTA has a high probability of bricking the phone.
https://m.gsmarena.com/current_nokia...news-28590.php

https://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_exp...news-28616.php

So will Moto X4 get Treble in Oreo Update? I'm afraid it might not get it.

I think motoX4 will get Treble update as having somewhat above average knowledge in smartphones, I noticed that i'm getting 44gb of space left in my 64gb variant. and moto having almost stock android without tones of blootwares. I think i should get somewhat 50-52 gb of onboard storage. And as Project Treble needs another partition may be that's where the extra space went.

Its all just my way of connecting dots and looking at the big picture. I hope i'm not wrong and u guys will agree
21st December 2017, 12:17 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 42

More
Off topic but has anyone seen any news about the oreo update for Moto devices? I'm seeing on the tech blogs that other devices receiving betas. Helk,the HTC u life on T-Mobile is actually receiving oreo right now. I saw somewhere that Moto said promised oreo by the end of the year and no word.

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app
21st December 2017, 12:12 PM |#7  
Flag Bratislava
Thanks Meter: 140

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aakarshmodi

I think motoX4 will get Treble update as having somewhat above average knowledge in smartphones, I noticed that i'm getting 44gb of space left in my 64gb variant. and moto having almost stock android without tones of blootwares. I think i should get somewhat 50-52 gb of onboard storage. And as Project Treble needs another partition may be that's where the extra space went.

Its all just my way of connecting dots and looking at the big picture. I hope i'm not wrong and u guys will agree

our nougat has A/B partitions already, they have nothing to do with treble... that's where all the space went. z2 is not getting it, and we probably are neither..... as someone with above average knowledge, yours is pretty lacking
21st December 2017, 12:31 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaglad

our nougat has A/B partitions already, they have nothing to do with treble... that's where all the space went. z2 is not getting it, and we probably are neither..... as someone with above average knowledge, yours is pretty lacking

We will get treble feature .... Apart from that there is no reason to give a/b partition. As it was also rumored in early 2017 for motox4. Anyways let's wait n hope for the best
The Following User Says Thank You to aakarshmodi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aakarshmodi Ad-Free
21st December 2017, 03:17 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 302

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aakarshmodi

We will get treble feature .... Apart from that there is no reason to give a/b partition. As it was also rumored in early 2017 for motox4. Anyways let's wait n hope for the best

That's not true at all. The reason for A/B partitions is to allow for seamless background updates, nothing to do with Treble. They were implemented on Pixel 1s before Oreo and Treble even existed.

Moto is under zero obligation to implement Treble on the X4... Unless Google really asks them to as part of the Android One program. Which is possible. I'd say it's 50/50 if we get it.
The Following User Says Thank You to FanDroid09 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift FanDroid09 Ad-Free
22nd December 2017, 10:59 PM |#10  
Flag Bratislava
Thanks Meter: 140

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanDroid09

That's not true at all. The reason for A/B partitions is to allow for seamless background updates, nothing to do with Treble. They were implemented on Pixel 1s before Oreo and Treble even existed.

Moto is under zero obligation to implement Treble on the X4... Unless Google really asks them to as part of the Android One program. Which is possible. I'd say it's 50/50 if we get it.

the question is, whether google will treat a1 devices like pixels in this regard
23rd December 2017, 03:51 AM |#11  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey_01

Off topic but has anyone seen any news about the oreo update for Moto devices? I'm seeing on the tech blogs that other devices receiving betas. Helk,the HTC u life on T-Mobile is actually receiving oreo right now. I saw somewhere that Moto said promised oreo by the end of the year and no word.

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

The Android one edition starts recieving Oreo.
https://www.phonearena.com/news/Moto...pdate_id101000

So those who have Android one edition can check whether project treble is enabled or not
The Following User Says Thank You to hpgramani For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hpgramani Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
moto x4, oreo, ota, project treble

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)