Get the OnePlus 6 early at a pop-up event in your city →
FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

USB Issues with Oreo 8.1

259 posts
Thanks Meter: 92

By dburckh, Senior Member on 1st May 2018, 10:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Just got the Oreo 8.1 update on my Project Fi Moto X4 (Motorola Version: OPW28.46-13). The phone does not show up in Windows anymore. No MTP, no ADB. It does charge. I've tried it on two different PCs. It was working seconds before applying the update. The cable does work properly with an S8.

Anybody else seeing this?

I'm a professional Android developer and I was using the phone for development before the update. The other issue is that Developer Mode was disabled after update. I re-enabled it after 8.1 and it didn't work. I've disabled/enabled USB Debugging and developer options several times.

Update:
Tried on OS X now too, same issue. OTG does work.

Work-Around:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...5&postcount=32
The Following User Says Thank You to dburckh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dburckh Ad-Free

2nd May 2018, 12:55 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 141

More
No mention in the release notes: https://mobilesupport.lenovo.com/us/...ution/MS127386

Can you help us out with getting the OTA via https://forum.xda-developers.com/mot...l-ota-t3784442?
2nd May 2018, 02:13 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neffy27

No mention in the release notes: https://mobilesupport.lenovo.com/us/...ution/MS127386

Can you help us out with getting the OTA via https://forum.xda-developers.com/mot...-ota-t3784442?

It takes some days for the update to show on motoota.
2nd May 2018, 02:44 AM |#4  

More
The previous two months became available on there as my phone got the OTA notification. I have yet to see someone who has receive the April, verify they attempted Motoota here on XDA or Reddit.
2nd May 2018, 08:51 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dburckh

Just got the Oreo 8.1 update on my Project Fi Moto X4 (Motorola Version: OPW28.46-13). The phone does not show up in Windows anymore. No MTP, no ADB. It does charge. I've tried it on two different PCs. It was working seconds before applying the update. The cable does work properly with an S8.

I'm a professional Android developer and I was using the phone for development before the update. The other issue is that Developer Mode was disabled after update. I re-enabled it after 8.1 and it didn't work. I've disabled/enabled USB Debugging and developer options several times.

Update:

I am experiencing the same situation with Project Fi Moto X4 32G (Motorola Version: OPW28.46-13). No MTP, no ADB. It does charge OK. I had no such problems before the upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1. I tried on both Linux and OS X. The same issue. And yes, USB OTG works.
2nd May 2018, 03:35 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I have the exact same issue and fun fact, this means it no longer works with an Android Auto head unit (it worked flawlessly right up until the second the OTA update was installed).
2nd May 2018, 03:37 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 92

Donate to Me
More
Factory Data Reset did not fix it. Guess we are hosed unless somebody finds a work-around.
2nd May 2018, 03:56 PM |#8  

More
Quote:

Factory Data Reset did not fix it. Guess we are hosed unless somebody finds a work-around.

This makes me not want to take the update now. What bad news.
3rd May 2018, 04:00 PM |#9  
Flag The Sticks of Indiana
Thanks Meter: 146

More
Folks, I have this too on my Moto G5S Plus after the April security patch for Nougat. No notification shade when I plug into the PC. No way to access MTP, ADB, etc... I also effects my charging. After the MTP interface fails, I have to reboot the phone before it will charge again.

Post in the Moto/Lenovo forum please. It's a HUGE problem.

Quote:

Update:

3rd May 2018, 04:47 PM |#10  

More
Got the OTA, it does not work and we'll never know why.
3rd May 2018, 08:27 PM |#11  
Flag Chandler, AZ
Thanks Meter: 465

More
Just got the OTA. Don't have my OTG cable, but i can can confirm that I see device in fasboot, but not in ADB.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)