charger (Car, mains) that trigger turbo power connected?

Search This thread

DrEzkimo

Jan 10, 2011
I see no official car charger is out for the z play and its only the hard wired mains charger that came in the box.

does anyone have any good car chargers and mains chargers that charge with "turbo power"?

DrEzkimo

Jan 10, 2011
seems many of the chinese ones cause issues such as car fuses blowing and such.

not good, the usb c situation is a right mess at the moment.

pkadavid

May 12, 2011
Austin, TX
I've had this one in two cars for over a year without a problem, first for my Nexus 5x and now for the Moto Z Play. I have Benson-approved USB A->C cables for charging.

Contrary to come of Motos other phones, the Z Play charges using the generic amperage method (like the Nexus 5x) instead of proprietary voltage methods like Samsung and other Motos use. That means that anytime you hook up the phone to something that puts out more than the standard 1A, you'll charge faster. I have a 2A charger, and when I plug the Moto into it, it charges faster than with 1A but not as fast with 3A (obviously). The stock charger puts out 3A. I've used the old Nexus 5x charger, and it charges the same as with the stock charger since it's also 3A.

https://www.amazon.com/iXCC-Charger...8-2&keywords=iXCC®+Dual+USB+4.8+Amp+(24+Watt)

Reactions: mahdif62

siralsmooth

Jan 18, 2012
Chicago, IL
I've had this one in two cars for over a year without a problem, first for my Nexus 5x and now for the Moto Z Play. I have Benson-approved USB A->C cables for charging.

Contrary to come of Motos other phones, the Z Play charges using the generic amperage method (like the Nexus 5x) instead of proprietary voltage methods like Samsung and other Motos use. That means that anytime you hook up the phone to something that puts out more than the standard 1A, you'll charge faster. I have a 2A charger, and when I plug the Moto into it, it charges faster than with 1A but not as fast with 3A (obviously). The stock charger puts out 3A. I've used the old Nexus 5x charger, and it charges the same as with the stock charger since it's also 3A.

https://www.amazon.com/iXCC-Charger...8-2&keywords=iXCC®+Dual+USB+4.8+Amp+(24+Watt)

I tried my previous Aukey 30 watt dual USB quick charge charger with 2 different type A to type C cables and couldn't get turbo charging to engage at all. However my Moto X turbo charged just fine with that setup as well as my friends Moto Z Force. Guessing it's all in the cables, but the setup I listed with the Aukey type C port and a dual type C cable does the trick perfectly.

For what it's worth, the iMuto power banks with the type C port will also engage the turbo charge function

pkadavid

May 12, 2011
Austin, TX
I tried my previous Aukey 30 watt dual USB quick charge charger with 2 different type A to type C cables and couldn't get turbo charging to engage at all. However my Moto X turbo charged just fine with that setup as well as my friends Moto Z Force. Guessing it's all in the cables, but the setup I listed with the Aukey type C port and a dual type C cable does the trick perfectly.

For what it's worth, the iMuto power banks with the type C port will also engage the turbo charge function

It likely wasn't the cable. If you were trying to use a quick charger, then it's not going to fast charge the MZP. As I mentioned, the MZP uses amperage-based, not voltage-based fast charging. E.g. if you take a look at the output on a quick charger, it's going to show nearly the same amperage (see first example below). A unique thing about the MZP and all other USB C phones from Moto, if you hook it up to even to 2A charger, you can see it tell you that it's turbo charging. It still won't charge as fast as if you hook it up to a 3A or higher charger, like the second one below.

Here is the charger that works e.g. with the Moto X. It does not fast charge the MZP. This is also commonly referred to as quick charge.
Standard: 5V / 1.67A (8W)
TurboPower: 9V / 1.67A (15W)
TurboPower: 12V / 1.2A (15W)
https://www.motorola.com/us/products/turbo-power-15-wall-charger

Here is the output for a charger that Moto sells that works with the USB C devices.
5V / up to 5.7A under control of Power Delivery compatible device
https://www.motorola.com/us/products/turbo-power-30-wall-charger

siralsmooth

Jan 18, 2012
Chicago, IL
It likely wasn't the cable. If you were trying to use a quick charger, then it's not going to fast charge the MZP. As I mentioned, the MZP uses amperage-based, not voltage-based fast charging. E.g. if you take a look at the output on a quick charger, it's going to show nearly the same amperage (see first example below). A unique thing about the MZP and all other USB C phones from Moto, if you hook it up to even to 2A charger, you can see it tell you that it's turbo charging. It still won't charge as fast as if you hook it up to a 3A or higher charger, like the second one below.

Here is the charger that works e.g. with the Moto X. It does not fast charge the MZP. This is also commonly referred to as quick charge.
Standard: 5V / 1.67A (8W)
TurboPower: 9V / 1.67A (15W)
TurboPower: 12V / 1.2A (15W)
https://www.motorola.com/us/products/turbo-power-15-wall-charger

Here is the output for a charger that Moto sells that works with the USB C devices.
5V / up to 5.7A under control of Power Delivery compatible device
https://www.motorola.com/us/products/turbo-power-30-wall-charger

I hope your comparison is just for example purposes, as the two phones and their respective chargers are incompatible with each other.

As for the 30 watt charger for the Z & Z Force, it gives ZERO benefit to the Z Play and doesn't give any additional quick charging. This has been tested and proven to be of no benefit to us Z Play owners.

Also, hooking up my device to any 2A charger, Stock Samsung, my in wall USB outlets, Apple, or my old Aukey quick charger, the power ports of the imuto or my other 2 power banks with a 2.4A output, DOES NOT ENGAGE TURBO CHARGING! This has been confirmed with the normal charging toast message, as well as in ampre. The info you said is incorrect.

Also attaching screenshots of the following, stock charger, Imuto power bank, the Aukey car charger I've listed, and the 2.4A Samsung charger with the A to C cable. You'll notice that in all instances where type C to C is used, turbo is engaged. Whereas with type A to C with a 2.4A charger charges normal.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170118-204452.jpg
    Screenshot_20170118-204452.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 187
  • Screenshot_20170118-205058.png
    Screenshot_20170118-205058.png
    168.2 KB · Views: 190
  • Screenshot_20170118-205226.png
    Screenshot_20170118-205226.png
    152 KB · Views: 190
  • Screenshot_20170118-211843.jpg
    Screenshot_20170118-211843.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 187

siralsmooth

Jan 18, 2012
Chicago, IL
Also, I'm very aware of how my Moto X and most of my friends quickcharge capable devices charge. The info is actually listed on the charger.

pkadavid

May 12, 2011
Austin, TX
I hope your comparison is just for example purposes, as the two phones and their respective chargers are incompatible with each other.

As for the 30 watt charger for the Z & Z Force, it gives ZERO benefit to the Z Play and doesn't give any additional quick charging. This has been tested and proven to be of no benefit to us Z Play owners.

Also, hooking up my device to any 2A charger, Stock Samsung, my in wall USB outlets, Apple, or my old Aukey quick charger, the power ports of the imuto or my other 2 power banks with a 2.4A output, DOES NOT ENGAGE TURBO CHARGING! This has been confirmed with the normal charging toast message, as well as in ampre. The info you said is incorrect.

Also attaching screenshots of the following, stock charger, Imuto power bank, the Aukey car charger I've listed, and the 2.4A Samsung charger with the A to C cable. You'll notice that in all instances where type C to C is used, turbo is engaged. Whereas with type A to C with a 2.4A charger charges normal.

Don't know what to tell you. Attached is a screenshot after plugging my phone into a 2A wall charger just now (A to C). Other than that, I've used the original N5x (C to C) and the aforementioned 4.8A car charger (A to C), both of which triggered the same turbo toast message. Even my XPS 13 triggers the turbo charging toast message when I plug the phone into it (A to C).

EDIT
I also tried the Ampere app after seeing your screenshots. I wasn't aware of that app. Same result. Confirmed turbo in the situations I specified above.

By the way, I apologize if I came across rude. I didn't mean to and was trying to be helpful.

Last edited:

siralsmooth

Jan 18, 2012
Chicago, IL
Welp, maybe your device is a little more forgiving. All I can say is that my device, will not engage turbo charging without a C to C or OEM charger. I tried both the A to C cables I own, one was a standard, one was USB 3.0, and neither will engage turbo off of any 2.0~2.4A chargers.

The info I've sourced was also shown on another Android forum where they did tons of checking of different chargers, OEM and other such with different amperage amounts and using Ampere. Google searching for Moto Z Play Quick charging should find it in the first few results if you're up for a read.

Kewjoe

Sep 2, 2010
So to confirm, you got turbocharge using the top type c port, but not the bottom type a QC3.0 port?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

mahdif62

Feb 11, 2015
Moto Z Play is a lot like Nexus 5x/6P/Pixel when it comes to charging. It doesn't support Qualcomm quick charge 3.0. Moto's Turbpower tech is apparently just another name for USB Power Delivery (PD). From my experience with Nexus 6p, you need a charger with a usb c port and proper usb c cable (with C type socket on both ends).
I've seen posts confirming this.
Be sure to check if the wall charger, the cable or the power bank you plan to buy supports USB PD and has a usb c port capable of outputting 3A. Not every usb c cable is capable of usb c power delivery.
Also usb pd means you can Turbopower-charge your Moto Z with type c laptop chargers, including Apple macbook chargers.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts