FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

TurboPower 30 NOT charging faster than Turbopower 15. What's going on?

3 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By l3rewski, Junior Member on 13th December 2016, 12:09 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello all,

The recent discussions on xda and r/rMoto_Z about battery chargers and questions concerning whether or not a TurboPower 30 charger is it worth it to us Z Play users prompted me to do a quick test comparing the chargers.

What I found is my TurboPower 30 is not charging any faster than the TurboPower 15 that came with the phone. I am using tasker (I'm a tasker noob BTW) to log the time and battery level to a Google Sheet upon a change in battery level. I discharged the phone to 14% both times, shut it down, let it cool, turned it on, then plugged in without touching it during the charging process.

Overall, both chargers behave the same. Both charge at a rate around 1.1% to 1.15% charge per minute until the 90-92% mark, where they slow down drastically.

The TP15 took 90 minutes to charge, while the TP30 took 95 minutes to charge.

So what's going on here?
  • Is my phone malfunctioning?
  • Is my charger(s) malfunctioning?
  • Am I stupid and/or missing something?
  • Can the Z Play even make use of the extra amperage from the TP30?

I'm at a loss here. I could have sworn the TP30 seemed faster, but maybe not.

Can anybody else confirm the same behavior from their chargers?

I can provide a link to a graph and the google sheet itself once I get past the 10 posts required before posting outside links.

13th December 2016, 04:40 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 36

More
I have the Z Play and the Z Force. Using the 30 watt charger on the Play still only charges it at about the same rate as the 15 watt charger. Not sure of the reasons just saying the results I have gotten.
The Following User Says Thank You to mobrules777 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mobrules777 Ad-Free
13th December 2016, 05:09 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Motorola probably put a limit on that
15th December 2016, 03:59 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Charging from 30% to 50% took just a few minutes but phone got really really hot... I'll stick to charging with my 10w ipad adaptor... Decently fast and phone stays cool
15th December 2016, 08:41 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 199

More
TurboPower 30 i guarantee only reaches 30 watt output over 12 volts. Our phone only accepts 5v at 3 amps max (you can force it, but you will probably ruin a component). This is due to thermal restrictions and to help preserve the battery from degrading faster than normal due to heat. With my moto x pure I recieved a turbopower 25 which charged my phone (which is about the same size as this one) at 12v ~2.1 Amps and the phone was already thermal throttling while charging. With a phone that lasts 2 days already Lenovo probably figures you can top your phone off when you have time to, and even then charging at 15 watts is still pretty quick if you really need to charge your phone in a hurry. More power going in = more heat put out due to inefficiencies. This will change whenever we get superconductors figured out and can have ~100% efficiency, but that will (probably) take a while, and even then take longer before it trickles down to consumer products.
15th December 2016, 10:44 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon7701

TurboPower 30 i guarantee only reaches 30 watt output over 12 volts. Our phone only accepts 5v at 3 amps max (you can force it, but you will probably ruin a component). This is due to thermal restrictions and to help preserve the battery from degrading faster than normal due to heat. With my moto x pure I recieved a turbopower 25 which charged my phone (which is about the same size as this one) at 12v ~2.1 Amps and the phone was already thermal throttling while charging. With a phone that lasts 2 days already Lenovo probably figures you can top your phone off when you have time to, and even then charging at 15 watts is still pretty quick if you really need to charge your phone in a hurry. More power going in = more heat put out due to inefficiencies. This will change whenever we get superconductors figured out and can have ~100% efficiency, but that will (probably) take a while, and even then take longer before it trickles down to consumer products.

Actually, the TurboPower 30's max output is 5v @ 5.7a, hence the large fixed cable.

Motorola lists the TurboPower 30 as compatible with all Moto Z devices. I took "compatible" as meaning I will receive the full output on a Z Play. If that's not the case, then Motorola should specify as such. I mainly just want to find out if my issue is by design or isolated to me.
16th December 2016, 02:53 AM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3rewski

Actually, the TurboPower 30's max output is 5v @ 5.7a, hence the large fixed cable.

Motorola lists the TurboPower 30 as compatible with all Moto Z devices. I took "compatible" as meaning I will receive the full output on a Z Play. If that's not the case, then Motorola should specify as such. I mainly just want to find out if my issue is by design or isolated to me.

Surprising that its actually at 5 volts tbh, since manufacturers were moving to 5, 9, and 12 volt standards for quick charging (not sure why the higher voltage instead of higher amperage). It would be by design though as the thermal restrictions still stand. The phone would have a hard time disipating all the heat generated (unless you suspended it by a string in mid air and had a fan blow on it ) and it could degrade the battery faster (due to heat). It is technically compatible in that will charge the phone and quick charge it at 15 watts, but it will not go up to 30 watts. It could be useful in the future when more laptops have thunderbolt 3 or 4 ports and you could use it for that .
16th December 2016, 03:10 AM |#8  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon7701

Surprising that its actually at 5 volts tbh, since manufacturers were moving to 5, 9, and 12 volt standards for quick charging (not sure why the higher voltage instead of higher amperage). It would be by design though as the thermal restrictions still stand. The phone would have a hard time disipating all the heat generated (unless you suspended it by a string in mid air and had a fan blow on it ) and it could degrade the battery faster (due to heat). It is technically compatible in that will charge the phone and quick charge it at 15 watts, but it will not go up to 30 watts. It could be useful in the future when more laptops have thunderbolt 3 or 4 ports and you could use it for that .

So what specifically in the design of the Z Play creates thermal restrictions greater than that of the Z Force? And what makes you believe the TurboForce 30 charger will charge other devices at ~30w? Is it a USB Power Delivery spec charger?

Regardless of all this, I still find the product description disingenuous. I would have simply gone with a standard (and cheaper) 15w USB-C- charger had I known this.
16th December 2016, 04:52 AM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3rewski

So what specifically in the design of the Z Play creates thermal restrictions greater than that of the Z Force? And what makes you believe the TurboForce 30 charger will charge other devices at ~30w? Is it a USB Power Delivery spec charger?

Regardless of all this, I still find the product description disingenuous. I would have simply gone with a standard (and cheaper) 15w USB-C- charger had I known this.

It is disingenuous to an extent, they didnt lie to you when they said it would work, but they just didnt tell you that it wouldnt charge at the full 30 watts (maybe there was an asterisk for it?). From the little bits of research I did on the moto Z force forum, it seems that it does follow USB-PD, but I dont know much about USB-PD specs or Qualcomm quick charge specs honestly. The only real advantage the Z force has in terms of helping with heat disipation is the aluminum backplate it has vs our glass backplate, it could also have some extra copper inside of it to help spread the heat around as well. Aluminum transfers heat better then glass does which allows it to have more wiggle room in terms of thermal restrictions, but I bet you the phone still gets really hot while turbo charging especially at 30 watts. Since it seems to follow USB-PD spec that would mean that if another device that follows that spec (a laptop with USB type-c thunderbolt 3?) and requests that much power then yes, it should work.
4th January 2019, 07:35 PM |#10  

More
and then, what is the exact charger for Moto Z2 Force ? 15 (included in package), or 30 ?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)