Moto Z Play | Resources all in one thread

Search This thread

KOOLjeet

Oct 10, 2012
NO signal, IMEI 0

I restored my phone using your guide.

from oreo 8.1 to 7.1
after restoring i lost my IMEI i.e 0 now, thats why my both sim has no signal now.
I'm from india & i downloaded RETAIL version
but as you said, i didn't skiped the flashing files you mentioned, as i read somewhere that this could HARDBRICK your phone.

fastboot flash NON-HLOS.bin modem (can skip this and thus would prevent loss of IMEI)
fastboot erase modemst1 (can skip this and thus would prevent loss of IMEI)
fastboot erase modemst2 (can skip this and thus would prevent loss of IMEI)
fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn (can skip this and thus would prevent loss of IMEI)
fastboot erase userdata (can skip this and thus would prevent loss of your data (Internal storage)
fastboot reboot

so my question is,

Is it ok to skip the files you mentioned in the first recovery post?

May 30, 2015
Guys need help

Guys I need some help here. In summary, I was able to flash ROM successfully. However, after the boot I keep on getting "System UI has stopped" error as soon as the phone boots. Interestingly, The notifications work fine when screen is locked but as soon as I unlock the phone I get this error message - making phone unusable. Any one else faced this issue? Any guidance on what file might have correct "System UI" file so that I can flash that? One of the suggestion given in this thread is to erase the userdata. But the whole reason I chose fastboot instead of RSDlite was to avoid erasing userdata. :-\
If I definitely need to erase userdata, is there a way to take backup now when phone is in this state? I did create a backup from TWRP. But I am not very confident that it backed up everything.

Below I am describing in detail what all I did to end up at this stage.

I have a XT1635-03 with a XT1635-02 ROM (it came that way from the seller... long story for another time). So, I tried to install latest 7.1.1 Verizon ROM(from another thread https://xdaforums.com/moto-z-play/development/chinese-version-xt-1635-03-ota-updates-t3737020) using fastboot method given in this thread. I used following code to do so. The only change I did from instructions was to include sparsechunk.11 and sparsechunk.12 files as without including those my phone was stuck on boot screen.

<code>
fastboot oem fb_mode_set
fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
fastboot flash logo logo.bin
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash dsp adspso.bin
fastboot flash oem oem.img
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.4
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.5
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.6
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.7
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.8
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.9
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.10
/***Added 11 and 12 part myself as that was in the zip file and flashing till 10 made my Moto Z play to freeze at boot*****/
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.11
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.12
/***Removed lines which would erase IMEI***/
fastboot erase cache
/***didnt clear userdata*****/
fastboot oem fb_mode_clear
fastboot reboot
</code>

Last edited:

slumslayer

Aug 23, 2011
Guys I need some help here. In summary, I was able to flash ROM successfully. However, after the boot I keep on getting "System UI has stopped" error as soon as the phone boots. Interestingly, The notifications work fine when screen is locked but as soon as I unlock the phone I get this error message - making phone unusable. Any one else faced this issue? Any guidance on what file might have correct "System UI" file so that I can flash that? One of the suggestion given in this thread is to erase the userdata. But the whole reason I chose fastboot instead of RSDlite was to avoid erasing userdata. :-\
If I definitely need to erase userdata, is there a way to take backup now when phone is in this state? I did create a backup from TWRP. But I am not very confident that it backed up everything.

Below I am describing in detail what all I did to end up at this stage.

I have a XT1635-03 with a XT1635-02 ROM (it came that way from the seller... long story for another time). So, I tried to install latest 7.1.1 Verizon ROM(from another thread https://xdaforums.com/moto-z-play/development/chinese-version-xt-1635-03-ota-updates-t3737020) using fastboot method given in this thread. I used following code to do so. The only change I did from instructions was to include sparsechunk.11 and sparsechunk.12 files as without including those my phone was stuck on boot screen.

<code>
fastboot oem fb_mode_set
/***Added 11 and 12 part myself as that was in the zip file and flashing till 10 made my Moto Z play to freeze at boot*****/
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.11
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.12
/***Removed lines which would erase IMEI***/
fastboot erase cache
/***didnt clear userdata*****/
fastboot oem fb_mode_clear
fastboot reboot
</code>

System UI crash is definitly because you didn't erase user data.
TWRP should have backed up everything. But if you still want to make a backup (with titanium or alike) and have a TWRP backup, why not just restore system, clear cache and try to reboot ?
Anyway, your current userdata may be corrupted due to booting on another system version.

Reactions: hunnyhiteshseth
May 30, 2015
TWRP should have backed up everything. But if you still want to make a backup (with titanium or alike) and have a TWRP backup, why not just restore system, clear cache and try to reboot ?
Anyway, your current userdata may be corrupted due to booting on another system version.

Thanks Slumslayer for your helpful post. As you suggested, I ended up restoring everything from TWRP. I was a bit scared that new system would have corrupted the userdata but it worked almost fine. My home screen doesn't work anymore (com.motorola.ccc crashes). So, I have installed Nova Launcher to cover for that. Additionally, Moto Mods Manager keeps on crashing but since I am not using any Moto Mods, it is more of annoyance than a serious issue.

By the way, to be safe I also copied as much data as I could on my PC after connecting device as MTP from TWRP. Thankfully, I didn't need to use it. I would probably try upgrading later when I have more risk appetite. ;)

slumslayer

Aug 23, 2011
Thanks Slumslayer for your helpful post. As you suggested, I ended up restoring everything from TWRP. I was a bit scared that new system would have corrupted the userdata but it worked almost fine. My home screen doesn't work anymore (com.motorola.ccc crashes). So, I have installed Nova Launcher to cover for that. Additionally, Moto Mods Manager keeps on crashing but since I am not using any Moto Mods, it is more of annoyance than a serious issue.

By the way, to be safe I also copied as much data as I could on my PC after connecting device as MTP from TWRP. Thankfully, I didn't need to use it. I would probably try upgrading later when I have more risk appetite. ;)
:good:

Did you try to erase data for those 2 apps that keep crashing ? It may be enough to get them working again.

May 30, 2015
:good:

Did you try to erase data for those 2 apps that keep crashing ? It may be enough to get them working again.

Yes I tried that. Then I tried uninstalling Moto Mod Manager app. Since it is a system app, it only uninstalls latest updates but that didn't solved the issue. I tried installing all updates again from Play Store with no benefit. So, I have now disabled the app to stop the "Unfortunately Moto Mod Manager has stopped working" notification.
For com.motorola.ccc, that displays the message only once or twice at boot and it just stops. It seems default launcher is also not working and might be linked to this process. So, as I said before, I am using Nova Launcher instead of that.

May 30, 2015

An update to my issues. Turns out more than those two apps are impacted. Here is a list of other issues I have faced since restoring TWRP backup:

1) Moto Display doesn't work
2) Bluetooth is unable to detect nearby devices
3) Google Account doesn't show up in contacts app but trying to add the account back result in error that account already exist

Clearing userdata for Moto Display and Contacts didn't help. Although I did end up losing my contacts from phone. :-\
Thankfully they are backed up in Google Account online.

I will update in case I notice more issues.

jerryspring

Feb 18, 2018
Can I flash logo.bin zip in twrp?
Logo.bin is a bootloader thing. Needs flashing via fastboot

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

An update to my issues. Turns out more than those two apps are impacted. Here is a list of other issues I have faced since restoring TWRP backup:

1) Moto Display doesn't work
2) Bluetooth is unable to detect nearby devices
3) Google Account doesn't show up in contacts app but trying to add the account back result in error that account already exist

Clearing userdata for Moto Display and Contacts didn't help. Although I did end up losing my contacts from phone. :-\
Thankfully they are backed up in Google Account online.

I will update in case I notice more issues.
Always restore backups with the exact same TWRP it was used to backup. I did this once, and it wouldn't succeed. Hehe

jerryspring

Feb 18, 2018
Hey guys :cowboy:

I just thought we should have a 1-stop-guide for our amazing Moto Z Play. Generally people have to look through various threads before obtaining the real info, this thread was created so that people would find the resources easily without wasting time, looking here and there for information.. I will try to update the thread on regular basis as and when the new developments arrive...

Note: I want to thank all the devs for their efforts. None of this is my creation , i just collected & compiled all the info from various sources, credit as usual goes to original devs

PS: The thread is complete now...Just have to add the images for easy understanding...All the info posted here is latest development with correct info...There is no chance you will brick your phone by following this guide unless you do something wrong...

************************************************** ************************************************** ***************
INDEX
************************************************** ************************************************** ***************

1. Drivers | ADB installer
  2. Unlocking Bootloader (Official Method)
  3. Flashing TWRP and Rooting via TWRP
  4. Back up / Restoring EFS (IMEI)
  5. Restoring original Boot Logo after unlocking bootloader
  6. Installing Xposed Framework
  7. Flashing/ Restoring back to Stock Rom
  8. Changing DPI without root
  9. Remove Ascending Ringtones/Notifications

************************************************** ************************************************** **************

1) Drivers | ADB installer

1) Motorola Drivers (https://motorola-global-portal.custh...ail/a_id/88481)

2) ADB installer (https://xdaforums.com/sho....php?t=2317790) or (http://xdaforums.com/show...8#post48915118)

2) Unlocking Bootloader (Official Method)

Files needed:

Note: Unlocking the bootloader erases all the data on the phone, make a backup of your imp stuff before unlocking

Method:

1) First of all visit this official Moto Unlocking site & register yourself or login via Google
https://motorola-global-portal.custh...-a/action/auth

2) Enable USB debugging & OEM unlock on the phone (Go to settings -> development options (if they do not have it enabled go to settings-> about the phone and below where it says "Compilation number" tap 7 times to activate the development options).. In the developer options, select "OEM unlock" it will ask for password / PIN / pattern and once activated, we look for "Debugging via USB" and we activate it also, then proceed to turn off the phone)

3) Turn on the phone by pressing Vol down + Power button together for 5 seconds until we get a screen like this:

4) Open adb command window and type:

Code:
 fastboot devices
If your device appears on the command window you can continue with the guide, if your phone is not listed, install the Moto drivers correctly and verify if adb is working or not...

5) In
the same adb command window type:

Code:
 fastboot oem get_unlock_data
You will see numbers displayed like this, copy the code and paste it into notepad..Now eliminate the paragraph break so that there is only one line without spaces… Copy the entire code & login into your Moto account…Now paste the code on the same Moto webpage which was given above…

The unlock code will be sent to your registered email. There will appear an email with the number similar to this:

5)Without disconnecting the phone from the PC & without closing the window of the CMD, we return & we put this code:

Code:
fastboot oem unlock (enter code that was provided in the email)
6) You will be asked to re-enter the same command again, re-enter the code to confirm and finally unblock the bootloader

7) After re-entering the command, you will bootloader unlocked message

3) Flashing TWRP and Rooting via TWRP

Note: Custom recovery (TWRP) woks only after unlocking your bootloader… Before flashing this recovery unlock your bootloader and enable USB debugging…

Files required:

Method:
1) Download the above recovery, boot the phone in fastboot mode & open adb command window

2) In the adb command window type

Code:

3) After executing the command, disconnect your phone & with the volume + or volume keys - we move until it says "Recovery Mode" . Press the power button to confirm the entry to the recovery.

4) Once you enter the recovery, select the right button & a menu to choose the language is displayed, it only brings Chinese and English so we will put it in English to know what to do.

5) We will see that it asks for a password, it is the same password that you put to encrypt the phone at the beginning when they set up the factory phone and always asks them to turn on the phone, it can be a password / PIN / pattern

6) Once the password has been entered, the recovery main menu will appear, we will go to "Advanced" and then "Install SU", it will ask if we want to root the phone, we accept by sliding and we wait for it to do the process. Then we give in "Reboot System" to restart and the phone will ignite with root

4) Backing up / Restoring EFS (IMEI)

Note: This works only if you have TWRP recovery... Please backup your EFS using the method below before flashing any rom including stock rom

Backing up EFS (IMEI):

Method:

1) Boot the phone into TWRP recovery

2) Go to "Backup"

3) Select EFS

4) Create backup by sliding

5) Once finished, restart the phone

6) After restarting the phone, copy the TWRP folder from the internal memory to the SD, DO NOT CUT and PASTE, just copy with a file browser. Later from the SD card can be copied to the PC

Restoring lost IMEI / EFS:

Method:

2) Go to "Restore"

3) Select folder (location where you have kept a backup of your EFS)

4) Restore by sliding

5) Wipe cache and dalvik and start phone normally

5) Restoring original Boot Logo after unlocking bootloader

PS: This is used to remove unlocked bootloader warning when the phone is turned on (the black screen with letters)

Credit goes to :
G4liant

Files needed:

Method:

1) Boot the phone in fastboot mode, open adb window on pc and type
Code:

2) Once the flashing is finished, restart the phone with this command:

Code:
 fastboot reboot

When you turn it on, we will notice that we have the original motorola boot logo again and that the previous warning does not appear even when the bootloader of our device is unlocked

6) Installing Xposed Framework

Files needed:
1) [FONT=&quot]Have TWRP installed (If not installed refer to section #3 on this thread)

2) Download latest Xposed Installer.zip (http://dl-xda.xposed.info/framework/sdk23/arm/ )

3) Download latest Xposed Apk (https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3034811)

Optional: Download latest Xposed un-installer but ARM 32 version not ARM 64 (http://dl-xda.xposed.info/framework/uninstaller/ )
[/FONT]

Method:
1) Copy Xposed installation .zip, Xposed uninstaller (optional) and the Xposed APK to the internal memory (the TWRP does not mount the external SD so do not bother copying it to the External Memory)

2) Install the Xposed APK but DO NOT open it.

3) Enter recovery mode and open TWRP, Choose language and enter password to decrypt your device

4) Once the password is entered, the main recovery menu will appear, select "Install" and a file manager will appear, we will navigate the file down and look for the Xposed installer .zip, something like this:

5) Select the Xposed installer .zip and it will open a zip installer, slide to accept the flash of the .zip and wait for the process to finish. Then we give in "Wipe Dalvik / cache" and then to "Reboot System" to reboot and the phone will light up with Xposed already working.

7) Flashing/ Restoring back to Stock Rom

IMPORTANT: First locate the firmware for your country / operator / area / continent to avoid changing baseband or other things that make the phone does not work as it should.

Credit goes to: Khanov XDA

Stock Rom links:

[FONT=&quot]
Files needed:
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1) Motorola drivers (https://motorola-global-portal.custh...ail/a_id/88481)

2) ADB installed (https://xdaforums.com/sho....php?t=2317790) or (http://xdaforums.com/show...8#post48915118)

3) Firmware chosen from above links
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
Method 1 (Manually by using adb commands):

1) Boot the phone into fastboot mode and open adb command window on pc

Code:
fastboot devices

This will show us if the phone is correctly connected and installed the drivers, it will detect the PC in fastboot mode and we can continue with the tutorial we will put these commands in the order they are, you can put them one at a time and pressing enter to execute it

Code:
[SIZE=2][B][FONT=Century Gothic]fastboot oem fb_mode_set
  fastboot flash NON-HLOS.bin modem     [COLOR=Red]([/COLOR][COLOR=Red][I]can skip this and thus [U]would[/U] prevent loss of IMEI)[/I][/COLOR]
  fastboot erase modemst1  [I]   [COLOR=Red](can skip this and thus [U]would[/U] prevent loss of IMEI)[/COLOR][/I]
  fastboot erase modemst2    [COLOR=Red][I]([/I][/COLOR][COLOR=Red][I]can skip this and thus [U]would[/U] prevent loss of IMEI)[/I][/COLOR]
  fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn    [COLOR=Red][I](can skip this and thus [U]would[/U] prevent loss of IMEI)[/I][/COLOR]
  fastboot erase cache
  fastboot erase userdata    [COLOR=Red]([/COLOR][COLOR=Red][I]can skip this and thus [U]would[/U] prevent loss of your data (Internal storage)[/I][/COLOR]
[/FONT][/B][/SIZE][SIZE=2][B][FONT=Century Gothic]  fastboot oem fb_mode_clear  
  fastboot reboot
[/FONT][/B][/SIZE]
Your phone will reboot and will be restored to stock rom

In case an error occurs during OTA, even after doing the above step flash the modem by typing:

NOTE: You will find these files (
NON-HLOS.bin, fsg.mbn, adspso.bin etc) along with the systemchunk files you downloaded

Code:
 [/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][B][FONT=Century Gothic]fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2

Now reboot the phone and apply OTA... It will succeed

Method 2 (Using software ; RSD lite to flash) :

Files needed:

1) Motorola drivers (https://motorola-global-portal.custh...ail/a_id/88481)

2) ADB installed (https://xdaforums.com/sho....php?t=2317790) or (http://xdaforums.com/show...8#post48915118)

3) RSD lite (http://rsdlite.com/rsd-lite-download/)

4) Stock Rom from the links provided above

Method:

1) Enable USB debugging

2) Download RSDlite and Stock Rom zip file

3) Open RSDlite and browse button (next to file name textbox)... Find and select "flashfile.xml" from the downloaded zip file (extract the zip file)

4) Boot the phone into fastboot mode and connect the phone to pc; RSD lite shows ID if connected

5) Click start button…Now flashing process has started…It will flash files one by one…Wait for it till it shows reboot…

[FONT=&quot]6) Handset will automatically restart after flashing process completes[/FONT]

8) Changing DPI without root

Files needed:

Method:

Note: The DPI used here is 420... You can adjust the DPI according to your own taste... The default DPI is 480
1) Open ADB command window and enter:

Code:
[FONT=Century Gothic][B][B][B][FONT=Century Gothic][B][B][B]adb shell wm density 420[/B][/B][/B][/FONT][/B][/B][/B][/FONT]

2) Reboot your phone to apply the effects system wide

Reverting back to stock DPI:

Method:

Code:
[FONT=Century Gothic][B][B][B][FONT=Century Gothic][B][B][B][FONT=Century Gothic][B][B][B][FONT=Century Gothic][B][B][B]adb shell wm density 480"[/B][/B][/B][/FONT] or "[/B][/B][/B][/FONT][FONT=Century Gothic][B][B][B][FONT=Century Gothic][B][B][B][FONT=Century Gothic][B][B][B]adb shell wm size reset" (If the 1st one doesnt work or some apps show wrong layouts like Snapchat etc[/B][/B][/B][/FONT][/B][/B][/B][/FONT][/B][/B][/B][/FONT][/B][/B][/B][/FONT][/B][/B][/B][/FONT]

9) Remove Ascending Ringtones/Notifications

Files needed:

Method:
1) Download the mod and copy it to internal storage. Boot the phone in TWRP
2) Select install and locate the file in the file manager... Select the file and flash it

Reverting back to stock (Ascending ringtones):

Method:
1) Download this file [FONT=&quot]https://www.dropbox.com/s/otsir98jjlqnb85/Ascending_audio_stock_motozplay.zip?dl=0https://www.dropbox.com/s/otsir98jjlqnb85/Ascending_audio_stock_motozplay.zip?dl=0
2) Copy it to internal storage & boot the phone in TWRP... Select install and locate the file
3) Select the file and flash it
[/FONT]

Which XT variants does that work on?

Dakkaron

Jan 13, 2013
Changing DPI without root is much easier by now. Either open up developer settings and find the "Smallest Width" setting (which is actually a DPI setting, works on Android 7+) or go to Display -> Screen Size (I am not sure if that setting is called that way, I am the German version of Android and I'm translating loosely).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys :cowboy:

I just thought we should have a 1-stop-guide for our amazing Moto Z Play. Generally people have to look through various threads before obtaining the real info, this thread was created so that people would find the resources easily without wasting time, looking here and there for information.. I will try to update the thread on regular basis as and when the new developments arrive...

Note: I want to thank all the devs for their efforts. None of this is my creation , i just collected & compiled all the info from various sources, credit as usual goes to original devs

PS: The thread is complete now...Just have to add the images for easy understanding...All the info posted here is latest development with correct info...There is no chance you will brick your phone by following this guide unless you do something wrong...

INDEX

1. Drivers | ADB installer
    2. Unlocking Bootloader (Official Method)
    3. Flashing TWRP and Rooting via TWRP
    4. Back up / Restoring EFS (IMEI)
    5. Restoring original Boot Logo after unlocking bootloader
    6. Installing Xposed Framework
    7. Flashing/ Restoring back to Stock Rom
    8. Changing DPI without root
    9. Remove Ascending Ringtones/Notifications

************************************************** ************************************************** **************

1) Drivers | ADB installer

1) Motorola Drivers (https://motorola-global-portal.custh...ail/a_id/88481)

2) ADB installer (https://xdaforums.com/sho....php?t=2317790) or (http://xdaforums.com/show...8#post48915118)

2) Unlocking Bootloader (Official Method)

Files needed:

Note: Unlocking the bootloader erases all the data on the phone, make a backup of your imp stuff before unlocking

Method:

1) First of all visit this official Moto Unlocking site & register yourself or login via Google
    https://motorola-global-portal.custh...-a/action/auth

2) Enable USB debugging & OEM unlock on the phone (Go to settings -> development options (if they do not have it enabled go to settings-> about the phone and below where it says "Compilation number" tap 7 times to activate the development options).. In the developer options, select "OEM unlock" it will ask for password / PIN / pattern and once activated, we look for "Debugging via USB" and we activate it also, then proceed to turn off the phone)

3) Turn on the phone by pressing Vol down + Power button together for 5 seconds until we get a screen like this:

4) Open adb command window and type:

Code:
     fastboot devices
    If your device appears on the command window you can continue with the guide, if your phone is not listed, install the Moto drivers correctly and verify if adb is working or not...

5) In
    the same adb command window type:

Code:
     fastboot oem get_unlock_data
    You will see numbers displayed like this, copy the code and paste it into notepad..Now eliminate the paragraph break so that there is only one line without spaces… Copy the entire code & login into your Moto account…Now paste the code on the same Moto webpage which was given above…

The unlock code will be sent to your registered email. There will appear an email with the number similar to this:

5)Without disconnecting the phone from the PC & without closing the window of the CMD, we return & we put this code:

Code:
    fastboot oem unlock (enter code that was provided in the email)
    6) You will be asked to re-enter the same command again, re-enter the code to confirm and finally unblock the bootloader

7) After re-entering the command, you will bootloader unlocked message

3) Flashing TWRP and Rooting via TWRP

Note: Custom recovery (TWRP) woks only after unlocking your bootloader… Before flashing this recovery unlock your bootloader and enable USB debugging…

Files required:

Method:
    1) Download the above recovery, boot the phone in fastboot mode & open adb command window

2) In the adb command window type

Code:

3) After executing the command, disconnect your phone & with the volume + or volume keys - we move until it says "Recovery Mode" . Press the power button to confirm the entry to the recovery.

4) Once you enter the recovery, select the right button & a menu to choose the language is displayed, it only brings Chinese and English so we will put it in English to know what to do.

5) We will see that it asks for a password, it is the same password that you put to encrypt the phone at the beginning when they set up the factory phone and always asks them to turn on the phone, it can be a password / PIN / pattern

6) Once the password has been entered, the recovery main menu will appear, we will go to "Advanced" and then "Install SU", it will ask if we want to root the phone, we accept by sliding and we wait for it to do the process. Then we give in "Reboot System" to restart and the phone will ignite with root

4) Backing up / Restoring EFS (IMEI)

Note: This works only if you have TWRP recovery... Please backup your EFS using the method below before flashing any rom including stock rom

Backing up EFS (IMEI):

Method:

2) Go to "Backup"

3) Select EFS

4) Create backup by sliding

5) Once finished, restart the phone

6) After restarting the phone, copy the TWRP folder from the internal memory to the SD, DO NOT CUT and PASTE, just copy with a file browser. Later from the SD card can be copied to the PC

Restoring lost IMEI / EFS:

Method:

2) Go to "Restore"

3) Select folder (location where you have kept a backup of your EFS)

4) Restore by sliding

5) Wipe cache and dalvik and start phone normally

5) Restoring original Boot Logo after unlocking bootloader

PS: This is used to remove unlocked bootloader warning when the phone is turned on (the black screen with letters)

Credit goes to :
    G4liant

Files needed:

Method:

1) Boot the phone in fastboot mode, open adb window on pc and type
    Code:

2) Once the flashing is finished, restart the phone with this command:

Code:
     fastboot reboot

When you turn it on, we will notice that we have the original motorola boot logo again and that the previous warning does not appear even when the bootloader of our device is unlocked

6) Installing Xposed Framework

Files needed:
    1) [FONT=&quot]Have TWRP installed (If not installed refer to section #3 on this thread)

2) Download latest Xposed Installer.zip (http://dl-xda.xposed.info/framework/sdk23/arm/ )

3) Download latest Xposed Apk (https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3034811)

Optional: Download latest Xposed un-installer but ARM 32 version not ARM 64 (http://dl-xda.xposed.info/framework/uninstaller/ )
    [/FONT]

Method:
    1) Copy Xposed installation .zip, Xposed uninstaller (optional) and the Xposed APK to the internal memory (the TWRP does not mount the external SD so do not bother copying it to the External Memory)

2) Install the Xposed APK but DO NOT open it.

3) Enter recovery mode and open TWRP, Choose language and enter password to decrypt your device

4) Once the password is entered, the main recovery menu will appear, select "Install" and a file manager will appear, we will navigate the file down and look for the Xposed installer .zip, something like this:

5) Select the Xposed installer .zip and it will open a zip installer, slide to accept the flash of the .zip and wait for the process to finish. Then we give in "Wipe Dalvik / cache" and then to "Reboot System" to reboot and the phone will light up with Xposed already working.

7) Flashing/ Restoring back to Stock Rom

IMPORTANT: First locate the firmware for your country / operator / area / continent to avoid changing baseband or other things that make the phone does not work as it should.

Credit goes to: Khanov XDA

Stock Rom links:

[FONT=&quot]
    Files needed:
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1) Motorola drivers (https://motorola-global-portal.custh...ail/a_id/88481)

3) Firmware chosen from above links
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    Method 1 (Manually by using adb commands):

1) Boot the phone into fastboot mode and open adb command window on pc

Code:
    fastboot devices

This will show us if the phone is correctly connected and installed the drivers, it will detect the PC in fastboot mode and we can continue with the tutorial we will put these commands in the order they are, you can put them one at a time and pressing enter to execute it

Code:
    [SIZE=2][B][FONT=Century Gothic]fastboot oem fb_mode_set
      fastboot flash NON-HLOS.bin modem     [COLOR=Red]([/COLOR][COLOR=Red][I]can skip this and thus [U]would[/U] prevent loss of IMEI)[/I][/COLOR]
      fastboot erase modemst1  [I]   [COLOR=Red](can skip this and thus [U]would[/U] prevent loss of IMEI)[/COLOR][/I]
      fastboot erase modemst2    [COLOR=Red][I]([/I][/COLOR][COLOR=Red][I]can skip this and thus [U]would[/U] prevent loss of IMEI)[/I][/COLOR]
      fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn    [COLOR=Red][I](can skip this and thus [U]would[/U] prevent loss of IMEI)[/I][/COLOR]
      fastboot erase cache
      fastboot erase userdata    [COLOR=Red]([/COLOR][COLOR=Red][I]can skip this and thus [U]would[/U] prevent loss of your data (Internal storage)[/I][/COLOR]
    [/FONT][/B][/SIZE][SIZE=2][B][FONT=Century Gothic]  fastboot oem fb_mode_clear  
      fastboot reboot
    [/FONT][/B][/SIZE]
    Your phone will reboot and will be restored to stock rom

In case an error occurs during OTA, even after doing the above step flash the modem by typing:

NOTE: You will find these files (
    NON-HLOS.bin, fsg.mbn, adspso.bin etc) along with the systemchunk files you downloaded

Code:
     [/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][B][FONT=Century Gothic]fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    fastboot erase modemst1
    fastboot erase modemst2

Now reboot the phone and apply OTA... It will succeed

Method 2 (Using software ; RSD lite to flash) :

Files needed:

1) Motorola drivers (https://motorola-global-portal.custh...ail/a_id/88481)

3) RSD lite (http://rsdlite.com/rsd-lite-download/)

4) Stock Rom from the links provided above

Method:

1) Enable USB debugging

2) Download RSDlite and Stock Rom zip file

3) Open RSDlite and browse button (next to file name textbox)... Find and select "flashfile.xml" from the downloaded zip file (extract the zip file)

4) Boot the phone into fastboot mode and connect the phone to pc; RSD lite shows ID if connected

5) Click start button…Now flashing process has started…It will flash files one by one…Wait for it till it shows reboot…

[FONT=&quot]6) Handset will automatically restart after flashing process completes[/FONT]

8) Changing DPI without root

Files needed:

Method:

Note: The DPI used here is 420... You can adjust the DPI according to your own taste... The default DPI is 480

Code:
    [FONT=Century Gothic][B][B][B][FONT=Century Gothic][B][B][B]adb shell wm density 420[/B][/B][/B][/FONT][/B][/B][/B][/FONT]

Reverting back to stock DPI:

Method:

Code:
    [FONT=Century Gothic][B][B][B][FONT=Century Gothic][B][B][B][FONT=Century Gothic][B][B][B][FONT=Century Gothic][B][B][B]adb shell wm density 480"[/B][/B][/B][/FONT] or "[/B][/B][/B][/FONT][FONT=Century Gothic][B][B][B][FONT=Century Gothic][B][B][B][FONT=Century Gothic][B][B][B]adb shell wm size reset" (If the 1st one doesnt work or some apps show wrong layouts like Snapchat etc[/B][/B][/B][/FONT][/B][/B][/B][/FONT][/B][/B][/B][/FONT][/B][/B][/B][/FONT][/B][/B][/B][/FONT]

9) Remove Ascending Ringtones/Notifications

Files needed:

Method:
    1) Download the mod and copy it to internal storage. Boot the phone in TWRP
    2) Select install and locate the file in the file manager... Select the file and flash it

Reverting back to stock (Ascending ringtones):

Method:
    1) Download this file [FONT=&quot]https://www.dropbox.com/s/otsir98jjlqnb85/Ascending_audio_stock_motozplay.zip?dl=0https://www.dropbox.com/s/otsir98jjlqnb85/Ascending_audio_stock_motozplay.zip?dl=0
    2) Copy it to internal storage & boot the phone in TWRP... Select install and locate the file
    3) Select the file and flash it
    [/FONT]

Really nice thread. Just one thing...
    Could you credit me for the modified logo.bin? :p

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=69273602&postcount=37
    Could someone point me to indian 6.0.1 retail dual sim download link? It should be "retin" right?

Get it from here[1] ( for indian MZP you can flash retail or retasia )

[1] https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto/addison/official/RETAIL/
    Hi, would the steps for removing the bootloader unlocked warning still work on Oreo?
    Yes, the steps are the same.
    Heres the list of commands I ran:

The only issue I see is flashing the adspso.bin file, which could be responsible for the baseband change.
    If you flashing firmware it's better to just flash the sparsechunks, oem, boot and recovery imgs, everything else is problematic.