Search This thread

Shreps

Recognized Developer
Feb 13, 2012
Paris
moto.shreps.fr
twrp_300.jpg

Here is TWRP 3 for the Moto Z
I decided to open this thread and make unofficial builds because the official TWRP (3.0.2) is still based on MM and will not work properly with N Firmwares and ROMs.

It should work when you flash it, but using it is still a try at your own risk procedure.

Our device comes with forced encryption and, more important,
verity which checks at every boot if /system partition has been changed or not.
If /system has been changed, verity won't allow booting your device which means
you can't flash anything unless you disable verity.

So, you must be sure to keep /system in ReadOnly mode in TWRP and don't try to alter it unless you're using a custom Kernel/boot to disable verity.
Of course, custom ROMs come with custom boot, so no worries about verity security with Lineage or AOKP for example.

To temporarily boot this recovery:
Code:
fastboot boot twrp.img

To permanently flash it:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

The download is up on moto.shreps.fr.

Changelog:
twrp-3.0.3-n2-athene_shreps.img
- Kernel and boot update - should be compatible with more variant
- Some TWRP fixes

twrp-3.0.3-n1-athene_shreps.img
- Qseecom and crypto stuff updated to N
> I'm able to decrypt my /data partition (F2FS) - Tested on XT1650-03_NPL25.86-17-3
- Fully rebased on AOSP Recovery 7.1
- TWRP bump to 3.0.3, with a lot of fixes
- Dark Material Theme
- Removed cursor pointer

XDA:DevDB Information
[RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL][XT1650][griffin] TWRP 3.0.3-n2 for Moto Z, Tool/Utility for the Moto Z

Contributors
Shreps
Source Code: https://github.com/omnirom/android_bootable_recovery

Version Information

Created 2017-01-30
Last Updated 2017-03-07

erfanoabdi

Recognized Developer
Jan 3, 2015
Tehran
erfanoabdi.github.io

erfanoabdi

Recognized Developer
Jan 3, 2015
Tehran
erfanoabdi.github.io

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170130-190221.png
    Screenshot_20170130-190221.png
    165.1 KB · Views: 1,243
  • Screenshot_20170130-191418.png
    Screenshot_20170130-191418.png
    175.5 KB · Views: 1,240
  • Screenshot_20170130-192237.png
    Screenshot_20170130-192237.png
    101.7 KB · Views: 1,227
Last edited:

erfanoabdi

Recognized Developer
Jan 3, 2015
Tehran
erfanoabdi.github.io
I hate phhsuperuser too, but what is this recovery.img that you linked ?

in your images you show up SuperUser 2.78 R2, it works ? What happend with the release 2.59. I tried before and my phone don;t boot any more when I install SuperUser
My Link is TWRP recovery image
Here I installed SuperSU as systemless mode, which is always fails installation on official TWRP

In pictures I really only installed es explorer as root needed app and I didn't mess with SuperSU anymore not sure about other's

BTW I recommend to stay on phh's superuser

silvercat

Sep 4, 2008
Singapore
My Link is TWRP recovery image
Here I installed SuperSU as systemless mode, which is always fails installation on official TWRP

In pictures I really only installed es explorer as root needed app and I didn't mess with SuperSU anymore not sure about other's

BTW I recommend to stay on phh's superuser

So using this recovery and forcing to flash in systemless mode boots into ROM? Because last time I tried system mode ended up in bootloop and systemless mode dint gain any root access

erfanoabdi

Recognized Developer
Jan 3, 2015
Tehran
erfanoabdi.github.io
So using this recovery and forcing to flash in systemless mode boots into ROM? Because last time I tried system mode ended up in bootloop and systemless mode dint gain any root access

First at all I really don't recommend this root method, cause I didn't test it too much
But your answers:
There's no force just flash released superSU from chainfire this will flash in systemless

Before this recovery, old official one could not install SuperSU as systemless and it was stops on decompressing ramdisk, I just fixed installation part which is only related to TWRP bug

And force system (xbin) root still makes bootloop , as I know it's not about TWRP

:)

Reactions: silvercat

kethsawant

Nov 20, 2012
Mumbai
First at all I really don't recommend this root method, cause I didn't test it too much
But your answers:
There's no force just flash released superSU from chainfire this will flash in systemless

Before this recovery, old official one could not install SuperSU as systemless and it was stops on decompressing ramdisk, I just fixed installation part which is only related to TWRP bug

And force system (xbin) root still makes bootloop , as I know it's not about TWRP

:)
Then according to you which method of Rooting is the Best or safe instead...or which TWRP & supersu file should be flash , if i am on Nougat updated through OTA

paulnorinn

Feb 9, 2010
Is this only for N bootloader?

I am still on MM bootloader and got freezing screen on TWRP home. Could not touch/select the menu, had to flash back to official TWRP 3.0.2.

Shreps

Recognized Developer
Feb 13, 2012
Paris
moto.shreps.fr
Is this only for N bootloader?

I am still on MM bootloader and got freezing screen on TWRP home. Could not touch/select the menu, had to flash back to official TWRP 3.0.2.

Hum yes, but should work too with MM bootloader. You can try to press power to shutdown the screen and then power or volume again to wake up and the touch should be initialized.

paulnorinn

Feb 9, 2010
Hum yes, but should work too with MM bootloader. You can try to press power to shutdown the screen and then power or volume again to wake up and the touch should be initialized.

Ok, thats fix it. I can now touch the screen. Guess I have to do it on every boot?

Thanks for the tip.

xamindar

Apr 8, 2012
OK I formatted my partitions in twrp and it was formatted as ext4. I read somewhere that the moto Z uses f2fs by default. Is this true and I just reduced performance of my phone because of a bug in twrp? I couldn't find an option to format as f2fs.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    twrp_300.jpg

Here is TWRP 3 for the Moto Z
    I decided to open this thread and make unofficial builds because the official TWRP (3.0.2) is still based on MM and will not work properly with N Firmwares and ROMs.

It should work when you flash it, but using it is still a try at your own risk procedure.

Our device comes with forced encryption and, more important,
    verity which checks at every boot if /system partition has been changed or not.
    If /system has been changed, verity won't allow booting your device which means
    you can't flash anything unless you disable verity.

So, you must be sure to keep /system in ReadOnly mode in TWRP and don't try to alter it unless you're using a custom Kernel/boot to disable verity.
    Of course, custom ROMs come with custom boot, so no worries about verity security with Lineage or AOKP for example.

To temporarily boot this recovery:
    Code:
    fastboot boot twrp.img

To permanently flash it:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

The download is up on moto.shreps.fr.

Changelog:
    twrp-3.0.3-n2-athene_shreps.img
    - Kernel and boot update - should be compatible with more variant
    - Some TWRP fixes

twrp-3.0.3-n1-athene_shreps.img
    - Qseecom and crypto stuff updated to N
    > I'm able to decrypt my /data partition (F2FS) - Tested on XT1650-03_NPL25.86-17-3
    - Fully rebased on AOSP Recovery 7.1
    - TWRP bump to 3.0.3, with a lot of fixes
    - Dark Material Theme
    - Removed cursor pointer

XDA:DevDB Information
    [RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL][XT1650][griffin] TWRP 3.0.3-n2 for Moto Z, Tool/Utility for the Moto Z

Contributors
    Shreps
    Source Code: https://github.com/omnirom/android_bootable_recovery

Version Information

Created 2017-01-30
    Last Updated 2017-03-07
    [ROOT] How to root with latest N firmware NPL25.86-17-3

Simple procedure:
    Official 3.1.0 released. Boots up fine. Using the phone unencrypted so I can't promise success on that point if yours is encrypted. Hopefully someone else can verify that ☺️

https://dl.twrp.me/griffin/twrp-3.1.0-0-griffin.img

Sent from my XT1650-03 using Tapatalk

I also made the 3.1.0 build with my encryption support (HW blobs)
    Available on my website for people who wants to try :)
    Use superuser systemless root, has mentionned in post #2. It's safer.
    I added pull request for this
    And I also built it : https://mega.nz/#!ScxHASjB!teSpEOZnO2cYej7W41sgTELAv3Z8-6qa6GH1z1mRwdI

I don't know why, but I hate phhsuperuser :D
    GUys
    I have a motoz stocked android 7.0 XT1950-03. I rooted a coplue of Note 3 before (very easy I might add) but never rooted a moto. What will be the easiest way to get stocked root. I only really want to be able to run titanium back up.
    Thanks
    Maybe read post #2 of this thread?