FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Easy Flash to Nougat Tutorial (Unlocked Retail Devices)

292 posts
Thanks Meter: 90

By Prfndhatrdofman, Senior Member on 6th December 2016, 10:23 PM
Post Reply Email Thread

Prerequisites:

Download RSD lite XML to Batch Script from https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24651430732235266
Download ROGERS_MPL24.246-45 from https://mega.nz/#!nssGEDiT!hhLkcTM10...lYOhUwpcd_sGJY
Download Nougat firmware from https://mega.nz/#!608HGYqB!kKTc1196P...SNLToEkvUePymE

Steps:
  1. Unpack RSDLite XML to Batch Script to a folder on your computer
  2. Unpack Rogers 24.246-45 firmware to the SAME folder
  3. Run 2-rsd-flash-flashfile-windows.bat
  4. Batch File #2 will convert the flashfile.xml file (included in Rogers zip) to a Batch file
  5. Run flashfile.bat which will flash the Rogers firmware to your device (WILL WIPE EVERYTHING EXCEPT MICRO SD CARD)

Wait till its done!
Your device should now have Rogers 24.246-45 Firmware.

1. From the Bootloader, select Recovery Mode.
  2. If you see No Command don't panic! That's normal. Press the power button for a couple seconds and press volume up or down (not sure if you need volume buttons but I always do anyway)
  3. Once it displays on screen, Select ADB Sideload
  4. From an adb capable command prompt, enter ADB Sideload <name and location of Nougat.zip> (minus the <> obviously)

This will take time. Leave it alone!

Once complete, simply reboot from recovery and let the device start like normal.

TROUBLESHOOTING:

If ADB Sideload gives you a Can't Read error, try these steps:

1. Download Large Address Awareness from here https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...-aware.112556/
2. Download ADB from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2588979
3. Start Task Manager and kill adb.exe if its running
4. Load the adb.exe file from Large Address Awareness and check the flag button
5. Continue on with adb sideload

I've tested this process multiple times today and it should work well. Let me know if you have any trouble!

I want to mention I have had NO success backing up with TWRP and restoring after this. Something changed with Nougat and any modification to System causes a soft brick (it did for me anyway). Do not attempt to flash system mode TWRP or flash the TurboZ kernel. They don't work and they will cause a boot loop.

UPDATE:

This method might not be for everyone, and if you're not interested in sticking with stock 7.0 and potentially want to roll around to other ROMs you should follow this guide instead; http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...sions-t3506342
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prfndhatrdofman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Prfndhatrdofman Ad-Free

7th December 2016, 06:01 AM |#2  
Flag Austin
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Great thank you! Question:
Will all the radio bands (T-MOBILE) still work as normal?
Have you try this out with Google Day Dream VR yet?
I had the note 7 and the Galaxy VR., Kinda of miss that.
7th December 2016, 05:33 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Redmond

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas90733

Great thank you! Question:
Will all the radio bands (T-MOBILE) still work as normal?
Have you try this out with Google Day Dream VR yet?
I had the note 7 and the Galaxy VR., Kinda of miss that.

Daydream works from what I can tell. Also I'm on att so I haven't checked T-Mobile bands but im assuming they work fine. I know there's an app to check which bands your device supports. I'll try downloading it and let you know
10th December 2016, 05:54 PM |#4  
Flag Rhode Island
Thanks Meter: 66

More
So I get to the point to sideload the nougat update and it always says "can't read..." I've done factory resets and everything else I could think of, still no go for me.
10th December 2016, 08:22 PM |#5  
Flag Italians do it better... ;)
Thanks Meter: 225

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prfndhatrdofman

[SIZE="4"]...
I want to mention I have had NO success backing up with TWRP and restoring after this. Something changed with Nougat and any modification to System causes a soft brick (it did for me anyway). Do not attempt to flash system mode TWRP or flash the TurboZ kernel. They don't work and they will cause a boot loop.

So... are you of the opinion that recovering a Nougat boot+system TWRP backup on a MM phone would cause a soft brick too?

What type of soft brick do you faced exactly?
11th December 2016, 05:18 PM |#6  
Flag Charleston
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:

Prerequisites:

Download RSD lite XML to Batch Script from https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24651430732235266
Download ROGERS_MPL24.246-45 from https://mega.nz/#!nssGEDiT!hhLkcTM10...lYOhUwpcd_sGJY
Download Nougat firmware from https://mega.nz/#!608HGYqB!kKTc1196P...SNLToEkvUePymE

Steps:

1. Unpack RSDLite XML to Batch Script to a folder on your computer
  2. Unpack Rogers 24.246-45 firmware to the SAME folder
  3. Run 2-rsd-flash-flashfile-windows.bat
  4. Batch File #2 will convert the flashfile.xml file (included in Rogers zip) to a Batch file
  5. Run flashfile.bat which will flash the Rogers firmware to your device (WILL WIPE EVERYTHING EXCEPT MICRO SD CARD)

Wait till its done!
Your device should now have Rogers 24.246-45 Firmware.

2. If you see No Command don't panic! That's normal. Press the power button for a couple seconds and press volume up or down (not sure if you need volume buttons but I always do anyway)
  4. From an adb capable command prompt, enter ADB Sideload <name and location of Nougat.zip> (minus the <> obviously)

This will take time. Leave it alone!

Once complete, simply reboot from recovery and let the device start like normal.

I've tested this process multiple times today and it should work well. Let me know if you have any trouble!

I did up until this

But when I boot up i have no wifi and I am unable to get the no command to go away to select sideload any ideas?
12th December 2016, 06:29 PM |#7  
Flag Edmonton
Thanks Meter: 94

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieman13

So I get to the point to sideload the nougat update and it always says "can't read..." I've done factory resets and everything else I could think of, still no go for me.

Same here, did you find a fix? Tried re-downloading Blur_Version.24.21.46.griffin.retail.en.US.zip and got the same error...
12th December 2016, 09:00 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Redmond

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelens

Same here, did you find a fix? Tried re-downloading Blur_Version.24.21.46.griffin.retail.en.US.zip and got the same error...

This happened to me as well. I think it came down to being an ADB Driver issue for me. I reinstalled a different set of ADB drivers and it had no issue after that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Prfndhatrdofman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Prfndhatrdofman Ad-Free
12th December 2016, 09:12 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Redmond

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by enetec

So... are you of the opinion that recovering a Nougat boot+system TWRP backup on a MM phone would cause a soft brick too?

What type of soft brick do you faced exactly?

Didn't work for me. As soon as the system partition was mounted R/W My device would boot loop. Could be a symptom of something else but im not sure.
12th December 2016, 09:27 PM |#10  
Flag Edmonton
Thanks Meter: 94

More
Quote:

This happened to me as well. I think it came down to being an ADB Driver issue for me. I reinstalled a different set of ADB drivers and it had no issue after that.

Interesting... I'm using the adb drivers from Android Studio.

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

Tried using the ADB drivers from Minimal ADB and Fastboot, same result. Oh well.
12th December 2016, 11:47 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Redmond

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelens

Interesting... I'm using the adb drivers from Android Studio.

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

Tried using the ADB drivers from Minimal ADB and Fastboot, same result. Oh well.

Yeah i struggled for about 3 hours trying to get sideload to work. I dunno why but after i completely deleted the driver, rebooted, reinstalled from ADB it finally worked. Its definitely not your device or the image its just ADB being a pain in the ass. I even tried multiple versions of ADB. One guy just tried on a different computer and it worked. I dunno why
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prfndhatrdofman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Prfndhatrdofman Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)