FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE][ROOT] How To Root Moto Z with SuperSU

399 posts
Thanks Meter: 348

Post Reply Email Thread
SuperSU
someone should write tutorial about rooting, and clarify things about new nougat so let's start
there's 2 way to root stock N :
old phh's superuser
and new systemless superSU, i'm gonna show this way
first make sure you have stock boot partition (not rooted, installed turboZ is OK) and absolutely unlocked bootloader

How to root ?
  1. flash my custom modded TWRP : https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=157130
  2. flash latest TurboZ Stock kernel with TWRP : TurboZ_*_N_Stock.zip
  3. flash latest SuperSU by chainfirewith TWRP : https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...v2-05-t2868133
  4. Reboot system

FAQ :
  • Can I mount system as R/W? or swipe "allow system modification" in TWRP first screen?
    Yes But just after Mounting, you need to flash TurboZ Kernel otherwise bootloop will happen
  • Can I update superSU in future?
    Sure
  • any Side Effects?
    Not Yet, Please test and tell me how's going on
  • Can I root This Installed Nougat? :https://forum.xda-developers.com/mot...sions-t3506342
    Yes
  • What About OTA and New Updates ?
    after flashing kernel you can't install(sideload) OTA's, so you have to back to stock and not rooted system, update then root again

ScreenShots :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170205-162451.png
Views:	2136
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	4030118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170205-162457.png
Views:	2072
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	4030119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170205-162513.png
Views:	1986
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	4030120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170205-174850.png
Views:	1888
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	4030200  
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to erfanoabdi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift erfanoabdi Ad-Free

5th February 2017, 04:29 PM |#2  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 106

More
It works.. Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to silvercat For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift silvercat Ad-Free
6th February 2017, 08:51 AM |#3  
Flag Singapore

More
Hi @erfanoabdi, just for your info.. Tried MagiskSU on stock kernel couldn't acquire root but tried with latest TurboZ and its worked.. Now fully rooted which passes SafetyNet as well..
The Following User Says Thank You to silvercat For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift silvercat Ad-Free
6th February 2017, 09:06 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tehran

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercat

Hi @erfanoabdi, just for your info.. Tried MagiskSU on stock kernel couldn't acquire root but tried with latest TurboZ and its worked.. Now fully rooted which passes SafetyNet as well..

Oh man, thanks for testing
6th February 2017, 09:25 AM |#5  
Flag Singapore

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by erfanoabdi

Oh man, thanks for testing

Damn after a reboot SafetyNet failed but everything else works..
6th February 2017, 02:04 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
If anyone asks why the kernel is necessary when mounting system as R/W.

This is because by default, dm-verity is enabled, and will prevent the phone from booting if it detects an unauthorized change in the system partition. Flashing the kernel will disable dm-verity, which makes it a must if you're going to be using the stock ROM but plan on making changes to the system via root access and whatnot.

If you're going to flash a custom ROM, many already come with their own kernel which disables dm-verity (and forced encryption), so flashing a custom kernel that disables it isn't needed if the ROM already has one (it most likely does). However, I do still recommend that you flash a custom kernel on the stock ROM anyway as it makes it less painful if you choose to go back to a stock ROM as you don't need to flash an entire factory image* just to make your phone work due to dm-verity being an ass. It also gives better performance, so it's quite a win-win.

* - You may be able to get around this by just flashing the boot image and then installing the kernel, but I have not tested this.
The Following User Says Thank You to D13H4RD2L1V3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift D13H4RD2L1V3 Ad-Free
6th February 2017, 02:20 PM |#7  
Flag Albuquerque, NM, USA
Thanks Meter: 46

More
Question - do you rally need the custom kernel?
I am just curious to know. - is this a requirement for N?
Granted, I am on MM and not N, but managed to get phh's supersu installled and working without modifying the kernel.
I just flashed TWRP and installed su from there, went into playstore and installed phh's superuser.

No problem so far - all mods are working fine.
Thanks
6th February 2017, 04:20 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tehran

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert269

I am just curious to know. - is this a requirement for N?
Granted, I am on MM and not N, but managed to get phh's supersu installled and working without modifying the kernel.
I just flashed TWRP and installed su from there, went into playstore and installed phh's superuser.

No problem so far - all mods are working fine.
Thanks

Yes,
For this systemless, Only kernel needs to be based on MM (which is not available right now)

On mm you can also flash forcedsystem superSU (available in XDA) with force encryption and dm-verify Disabler patch (available in motoZ forum) only if you want chainfire's superSU
But your phh's superuser is working too
6th February 2017, 04:40 PM |#9  
Flag Albuquerque, NM, USA
Thanks Meter: 46

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by erfanoabdi

Yes,
For this systemless, Only kernel needs to be based on MM (which is not available right now)

On mm you can also flash forcedsystem superSU (available in XDA) with force encryption and dm-verify Disabler patch (available in motoZ forum) only if you want chainfire's superSU
But your phh's superuser is working too

Thank you kindly - I appreciate your response.
The Following User Says Thank You to bert269 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bert269 Ad-Free
17th February 2017, 07:25 AM |#10  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 25

More
I am on nougat and rooted with phh supersuser so can i uninstall the phh su and follow you guide of flashing turbo kernel and super su
17th February 2017, 07:34 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tehran

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kethsawant

I am on nougat and rooted with phh supersuser so can i uninstall the phh su and follow you guide of flashing turbo kernel and super su

Yes you need to reflash stock boot.img from firmware's (or your TWRP backup)
Then follow OP guide
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
kernel, root, supersu, twrp

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)