[GUIDE][ROOT][TWRP-MOTOMODS] How To Root Moto Z with SuperSU

Search This thread

gogo1984

Sep 29, 2014
Reactions: bullfinch110

Xhor

Sep 8, 2017
Camera broke

Heyho, made everything exactly as described..... now my Camera is always crashing and doesnt work properly. Do you know any Fix? Would be cool because I like taking Photos^^

LukasSTM

Apr 24, 2015
Rio de Janeiro
Nice tutorial man, but I have two problems:
If I try to flash SuperSU my Camera stops working
If I try to flash Magisk my Bluetooth stops working
Any way to fix this?
Obs. 7.1.1 stock

#Edit: Only now I noticed that it is for android 7.0 *facepalm*, so maybe that's why my problems?

Last edited:

dedito

Dec 27, 2012
Surabaya
Just install TWRP via fastboot commands, then flash magisk and it's done.

hey dude, im in 7.1.1 stock non rooted. i want to root my moto z. if i read correctly so here's step to root my device.
- download twrp
- flash twrp via fastboot
- reboot into twrp
- and flash magisk via twrp

it's that all ?
and do i ave to unlock my bootloader ?

thanks

Reactions: lukelee83

Achi Shukuteki

Jan 17, 2017
OnePlus 8T
First, unlock bootloader, then do as you said.
So I'm on 7.1.1 retus 1650-03 unlock bootloader

Flashed TWRP and got the not signed/corrupt error.

Ignored it. Did a fastboot reboot. While holding the key combo per the TWRP page instructions.

So far, I have nothing installed.

Am I missing something?

Edit: I got it to boot into TWRP for me just a matter of using the volume button (courtesy of the G4 forum) and scrolling to Recovery. However, upon reboot of the whole system it loses TWRP.

Thus, again sadly, what am I missing?

Last edited:
Reactions: shmp30

shmp30

Jun 8, 2012
Hi,
My moto Z is on stock 7.1.1
I tried to flash TWRP recovery in fastboot mode. and got this message:

Code:
PS C:\platform-tools> fastboot flash recovery griffin.img
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
sending 'recovery' (23452 KB)...
OKAY [  0.495s]
writing 'recovery'...
[B][COLOR="Red"](bootloader) Image not signed or corrupt[/COLOR][/B]
OKAY [  0.702s]
finished. total time: 1.198s
PS C:\platform-tools> adb reboot recovery

is there any way to flash TWRP on 7.1.1?

Last edited:

shmp30

Jun 8, 2012

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171028-003713.png
    Screenshot_20171028-003713.png
    176 KB · Views: 671
Last edited:

shmp30

Jun 8, 2012
So I'm on 7.1.1 retus 1650-03 unlock bootloader

Flashed TWRP and got the not signed/corrupt error.

Ignored it. Did a fastboot reboot. While holding the key combo per the TWRP page instructions.

So far, I have nothing installed.

Am I missing something?

Edit: I got it to boot into TWRP for me just a matter of using the volume button (courtesy of the G4 forum) and scrolling to Recovery. However, upon reboot of the whole system it loses TWRP.

Thus, again sadly, what am I missing?

Finally i installed the TWRP and now i have same problem as you have.
Every time i reboot my phone TWRP disappears :confused:
Do you found any way to solve this problem?

Thanks

Edit:
this post on reddit helped me

Step by step guide: (Rooting the Moto Z (XT1650-05) on stock 7.1.1 NPL26.118-20)
1 - adb reboot bootloader
2 - fastboot flash recovery twrp-griffin.img (I used this: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=157130)
3 - You probably see corrupted message. ignore that
4 - DON'T fastboot reboot bootloader, if you reboot the recovery will disappear.
5 - Use volume keys to enter the recovery, wait few minutes to TWRP opens.
6 - Download lasted magisk and flash via TWRP (Here: https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445)
7 - Done. the TWRP will remain after every reboot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Achi Shukuteki

Achi Shukuteki

Jan 17, 2017
OnePlus 8T
Finally i installed the TWRP and now i have same problem as you have.
Every time i reboot my phone TWRP disappears :confused:
Do you found any way to solve this problem?

Thanks

Edit:
this post on reddit helped me

Step by step guide: (Rooting the Moto Z (XT1650-05) on stock 7.1.1 NPL26.118-20)
1 - adb reboot bootloader
2 - fastboot flash recovery twrp-griffin.img (I used this: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=157130)
3 - You probably see corrupted message. ignore that
4 - DON'T fastboot reboot bootloader, if you reboot the recovery will disappear.
5 - Use volume keys to enter the recovery, wait few minutes to TWRP opens.
6 - Download lasted magisk and flash via TWRP (Here: https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445)
7 - Done. the TWRP will remain after every reboot.
Ha! I was searching there too. But I found a process for the G5+ and it's the same method. The only thing I found is there is no menu for powering off to go to recovery (at least on stock ROM). Thus, you gotta use volume down and power to get to bootloader screen then scroll to recovery to TWRP.

Reactions: shmp30

shmp30

Jun 8, 2012
Ha! I was searching there too. But I found a process for the G5+ and it's the same method. The only thing I found is there is no menu for powering off to go to recovery (at least on stock ROM). Thus, you gotta use volume down and power to get to bootloader screen then scroll to recovery to TWRP.

Use this app to add restart to recovery option in power menu :highfive:

tnguyen98765

Dec 2, 2017
Help with mtp connection issue

Hi,
Does anyone have problem with mpt connection after flashing kernel mod? I could not connect to PC for file transfering.
Thanks

herokillerstein

Dec 13, 2017
Hello i recently bought my moto Z and heard about all this cool rooting and custom rom stuff
I was successful in unlocking the boot-loader but it seems like no matter which twrp recovery image i use am not able to flash it :(
Any other way
i need help

Last edited:

gogo1984

Sep 29, 2014
Can anyone tell me why this happens?
I can't flash twrp.
Bootloader is unlocked
I'm stock 7.1.1

Attachments

• IMG_20180128_014456.jpg
    IMG_20180128_014456.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 130

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Download-SuperSU-2.56.jpg
    someone should write tutorial about rooting, and clarify things about new nougat so let's start
    there's 2 way to root stock N :
    old phh's superuser
    and new systemless superSU, i'm gonna show this way
    first make sure you have stock boot partition (not rooted, installed turboZ is OK) and absolutely unlocked bootloader : How to Unlock Bootloader

How to root ?
    1. flash my custom modded TWRP(with Battery Mod Support) : https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=157130
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
    2. flash latest TurboZ Stock kernel with TWRP : TurboZ_*_N(or 7.1.1)_Stock.zip
    3. flash latest SuperSU by chainfire with TWRP : https://xdaforums.com/apps/supersu/2014-09-02-supersu-v2-05-t2868133
    4. (optional) flash latest magisk with TWRP : https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445
    5. Reboot system

FAQ :
    • Can I mount system as R/W? or swipe "allow system modification" in TWRP first screen?
      Yes But just after Mounting, you need to flash TurboZ Kernel otherwise bootloop will happen​
    • Can I update superSU in future?
      Sure​
    • any Side Effects?
      Not Yet, Please test and tell me how's going on​
    • Can I root This Installed Nougat? : https://xdaforums.com/moto-z/development/android-nougat-moto-z-versions-t3506342
      Yes​
    • What About OTA and New Updates ?
      after flashing kernel you can't install(sideload) OTA's, so you have to back to stock and not rooted system, update then root again​

ScreenShots :
    No no force encryption is only on data partition
    Your errors is because of out dated encryption blobs on TWRP I'll update them soon with newer version

thank you so much!
    can't wait to test some roms

:fingers-crossed:
    If anyone asks why the kernel is necessary when mounting system as R/W.

This is because by default, dm-verity is enabled, and will prevent the phone from booting if it detects an unauthorized change in the system partition. Flashing the kernel will disable dm-verity, which makes it a must if you're going to be using the stock ROM but plan on making changes to the system via root access and whatnot.

If you're going to flash a custom ROM, many already come with their own kernel which disables dm-verity (and forced encryption), so flashing a custom kernel that disables it isn't needed if the ROM already has one (it most likely does). However, I do still recommend that you flash a custom kernel on the stock ROM anyway as it makes it less painful if you choose to go back to a stock ROM as you don't need to flash an entire factory image* just to make your phone work due to dm-verity being an ass. It also gives better performance, so it's quite a win-win. ;)

* - You may be able to get around this by just flashing the boot image and then installing the kernel, but I have not tested this.
    As of now, this still worked for me. From stock, I did all the OTA updates, then I followed the listed procedure and I found success!

It would be great if the first post included some instructions, like get android tools, find fastboot, use "fastboot flash recovery twrp..." etc.
    It works.. Thanks :)