FORUMS

Recovery BootStrap (TWRP) - Motorola Defy\Bravo

349 posts
Thanks Meter: 487

Post Reply Email Thread
Recovery BootStrap (TWRP) - Motorola Defy\Bravo

Version: 4.0

Install Recovery BootStrap (TWRP) for Motorola Defy\Bravo via a USB cable. For computers running the Windows\Linux (port version) operating system.

Download: (Windows: MEGA / Google Drive) | (Linux: port by nastys post>>)

Install Recovery BootStrap (TWRP) you can right out stock firmware (without custom recovery) with superuser.

Recovery BootStrap (TWRP) - for the recovery say thank Quarx, after installation, you can install the rom CyanogenMod from Quarx for December 2014 (but do not forget about resize.zip).

Can be installed on Defy (MB525), Defy Plus (MB526), Bravo (MB520).

Requirements for smartphone:
Enable USB debugging
Superuser (ROOT)
Free space on the memory card of 100 megabytes

Instructions:
1. Download the archive
2. Unpack it somewhere else with a short path, for example D:\andro
3. Connect your phone via USB cable ("debugging on USB" should be included)
4. Run the install_bootstrap.cmd
5. When you see the label "Let's Start? =)", press any key
6. If the superuser ask permission for full access "ADB Shell", allow.
7. After installing the smart phone will automatically restart

!IMPORTANT! after restarting the Stock firmware will not start!, but you will have BootStrap (TWRP) so you can safely install custom firmware\rom

Change log:
V3:
Changed how the script
Fixed installation errors recovery on Android 4.x and later

V4:
The script changed drastically
After installation removes trash from the memory card (so far only on Android 4.x and later)

Made for normal (mortals) users , before you start the installation script checks (by model) which smartphone connected to the computer, if your smartphone is not supported script report it and stop installation, if supported will give something "Device: MB525".

Serviceability checked on the Chinese 231 (Defy) firmware with superuser (what say thank borndead), and on the Asian 231 (Defy)

Questions\FAQ:
Error "[ERROR] Verify device!", what to do?
Error "[ERROR] Verify device!", it is may mean the following:
1. You have not enabled USB debugging
2. Your smartphone does not support this Recovery. (only for MB525, MB526, MB520)
3. You need to confirm the action ADB on your smartphone
4. Or you have some other connection problems

Stock transition to CyanogenMod 11 of Quarx
Stock transition to CyanogenMod 11 (firmware and find all necessary files can be here) of Quarx in short (generally as described on the website Quarx, only simpler and under Windows)
1. Install Recovery BootStrap (TWRP) via USB
2. Enter Recovery install resize.zip
3. Restart your smartphone
4. Install CyanogenMod 11 and GApps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot001.png
Views:	4324
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	3069259   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot003.png
Views:	4204
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	3069260  
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Octanium91 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Octanium91 Ad-Free
16th December 2014, 09:28 PM |#2  
Flag Severodvinsk
Thanks Meter: 50

More
Thumbs up
Good work, comrade! I flashed CM11 on the Moto Defy - everything works!
17th December 2014, 07:11 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 179

More
We did observed some cases, where a "new life (resized)" Defy is not booting anymore. Only solution was to reflash SBF and start from scratch.
Does this mean, it is possible to recover TWRP from PC? That would be a step a head!
17th December 2014, 05:57 PM |#4  
Flag Italy
Thanks Meter: 69

More
This is amazing! Everytime I needed to reflash the stock ROM I needed to install cm10, then cm11, then new bootsrap etc...
Unfortunately I don't use Windows...
@Octanium91 Would you mind if I port your script to GNU/Linux?
17th December 2014, 06:14 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kremenchug

More
Wink
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbright_

We did observed some cases, where a "new life (resized)" Defy is not booting anymore. Only solution was to reflash SBF and start from scratch.
Does this mean, it is possible to recover TWRP from PC? That would be a step a head!

I tried to do something like that, is not yet happened. Perhaps in the future even try

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastys

This is amazing! Everytime I needed to reflash the stock ROM I needed to install cm10, then cm11, then new bootsrap etc...
Unfortunately I don't use Windows...
@Octanium91 Would you mind if I port your script to GNU/Linux?

Maybe. If Iunderstand with GNU/Linux scripts
17th December 2014, 10:34 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kremenchug

More
Smile The new version, V4
The new version, V4

Changes:
After installation removes trash from the memory card (so far only on Android 4.x and higher)

More debugging: Now the script itself is not closed, and tells the user exactly what happened.
Sorry debris removal only works on Android 4.x and later.
19th December 2014, 06:28 PM |#7  
Flag Italy

More
Linux port done!
@Octanium91 I ported it to C++ (for Linux only at the moment). Please add it to the first post . Here is the link: MediaFire | MEGA
On Ubuntu just mount the ISO as image (not archive) then click 'Run' (or you can also extract the ISO and run the executable directly). It works on x86 (32 bit) and x86_64 (64 bit) CPUs. The source code is also included in the ISO. Tested on Ubuntu 14.10 and 16.04 (64 bit).

I tested it with both stock 2.3.6 rooted and CM11. It seems that the stock ROM won't boot after flashing the new bootstrap, but the recovery works fine

Also your version has a very bad bug: it flashes Defy bootstrap even on Bravo!!! It should flash Motorola Bravo specific bootstrap instead. My version only works for Motorola Defy and Defy+ at the moment, but you can edit the source code. EDIT: they are the same file with different names. I updated my version to support MB520.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nastys For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nastys Ad-Free
19th December 2014, 07:50 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
After run the command script, when i boot in TWRP SDcard shows 0mb.
Already tried flashing the SBF recommended by quarx and after that the root SBF, but the result is always the same.
With CM recovery i can see the SDcard properly, but after the resize, or bootstrap, i always get 0mb at SDcard.
Any help?

Thanks!
19th December 2014, 08:07 PM |#9  
Flag Italy

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilinheaven

After run the command script, when i boot in TWRP SDcard shows 0mb.
Already tried flashing the SBF recommended by quarx and after that the root SBF, but the result is always the same.
With CM recovery i can see the SDcard properly, but after the resize, or bootstrap, i always get 0mb at SDcard.
Any help?

Thanks!

Format your SD card (to FAT32) or use another one.
The Following User Says Thank You to nastys For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nastys Ad-Free
20th December 2014, 08:55 PM |#10  
Flag Brown's Town
Thanks Meter: 1,034

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octanium91

The new version, V4

Changes:
After installation removes trash from the memory card (so far only on Android 4.x and higher)

More debugging: Now the script itself is not closed, and tells the user exactly what happened.
Sorry debris removal only works on Android 4.x and later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastys

@Octanium91 I ported it to C++ (for Linux only at the moment). Please add it to the first post . Here is the link: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/can...ller_for_Linux
On Ubuntu just mount the ISO as image (not archive) then click 'Run'. It works on x86 (32 bit) and x86_64 (64 bit) CPUs. The source code is also included. Tested on 14.10 x86_64.

I tested it with both stock 2.3.6 rooted and CM11. It seems that the stock ROM won't boot after flashing the new bootstrap, but the recovery works fine

Also your version has a very bad bug: it flashes Defy bootstrap even on Bravo!!! It should flash Motorola Bravo specific bootstrap instead. My version only works for Motorola Defy and Defy+ at the moment, but you can edit the source code.

Greetings guys, I'm a user from the Atrix 2 section and a part of the current device supporters there. It's a pleasure to finally post here, 'the domain of Quarx' haha.

I was wondering if this recovery is able to flash and boot android Lollipop 5.0 roms yet? If so, then is there some way to port it from source to my or other similar Moto devices in the OMAP bracket with locked bootloaders?

I'm an Android novice, but I'm experienced in building custom recoveries and roms, as well as beginner git commands, so no need to hold anything back, lol. I appreciate the work you're all doing here, please continue to make the difference. Thanks for reading this and take care!
20th December 2014, 09:14 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kremenchug

More
Info 2 answer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceofzeroz

Greetings guys, I'm a user from the Atrix 2 section and a part of the current device supporters there. It's a pleasure to finally post here, 'the domain of Quarx' haha.

I was wondering if this recovery is able to flash and boot android Lollipop 5.0 roms yet? If so, then is there some way to port it from source to my or other similar Moto devices in the OMAP bracket with locked bootloaders?

I'm an Android novice, but I'm experienced in building custom recoveries and roms, as well as beginner git commands, so no need to hold anything back, lol. I appreciate the work you're all doing here, please continue to make the difference. Thanks for reading this and take care!

Hi!
flash and boot android Lollipop 5.0 roms - just can not say, but it is theoretically possible (need to check).
If so, then is there some way to port it from source to my or other similar Moto device - No, this is not possible (specifically, in this case). BUT this method you can set recovery to another smartphone (it is theoretically, need to try)

Here recovery that are in the public domain, I think that they can install Lollipop 5.0 roms - TWRP2 \ Safestrap

Moto devices in the OMAP bracket with locked bootloaders? - Most likely will not work, but no one stops to try
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bravo., defy, defy +, recovery, recovery bootstrap (twrp)

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)