Have 150 XOOM (wingray) tablets. Need a good ROM choice.

Search This thread

ericcl

Oct 8, 2010
I'm looking for advice/pointers on a project.

I have 150 XOOM tablets (wingray) that our school received in 2011 as part of a technology grant. They are on 4.1.2 and the staff have stopped using them because they lag and don't support a lot of current web-based content. My role is that I'm a former board of education member and I have experience flashing. The superintendent and I are talking about trying to upgrade the tablets with a CM or Lineage-based ROM and replace batteries where needed.

I have been looking at Lineage 13.0 as it appears someone started the process there but I don't seem to see any discussion or progress. I saw there was a MM ROM that @Schischu was working on, but all the binaries were on a server that is no longer operating (duckbox). I see a thread started this week with a 4.4.4 build by @Manuellama but that's not exactly recent. But, it's better than 4.1.2.

I don't mind going through the bigPart process. I did this several years ago on my personal wingray and CM 11.0 runs fine on it. I'm not sure about doing this on 150 devices though. I'm sure I'll lose a few of them to failures in partitioning, but it's probably worth the risk.

I would like a ROM that I can build. I have some experience with this, but I'm not a pro at customizing the experience. I would like a couple apps used by the district to get into the ROM as well as a custom gApps package. I'd like to replace the boot animation to use our school imagery. I know space on /system is tight. Some gApps aren't necessary (Play games, Play music, Hangouts) while others are (Docs, Sheets, Drive). Also, the standard ROM builds I've seen tend to include apps like Apollo, QuickOffice and Movie Studio, which aren't necessary for our use case.

I'm looking for ideas on how to keep this project from going completely overboard. It's one thing to have one or two devices, but it's another when there are 150 devices.

Manuellama

Dec 24, 2014
Hello. I can help you with the build process. You can try the rom first in my dropbox folder for wingray.
If you like it, I will build it again with the steps needed to make it work, since some patches have to be done first, and I will describe the process to make the build in a pdf.
As I tell you, I can help you making the necessary modifications after you test the rom and see if it is good for you.
I think everything works well. Camera etc. Schischu did a great job in the past.
I could build lollipop omni but camera and hw videodecoding do not work yet.
My skype is manuel.lama.paniagua in case you need to discuss it further.

Reactions: ericcl

ericcl

Oct 8, 2010
I managed to get a stock wingray through the process

* OEM unlock
* Flash TWRP 2.6.3
* Flash TWRP 2.6.3 bigpart
* Wipe /system, /data, /cache
* Reboot
* Flash CM11 and gApps images from Manuellama
* Reboot to new /system
* Success!
* Reboot to fastboot
* Flash TWRP 3.0.2 img
* Reboot
* Confirm boot into /recovery and /system

It took about an hour going through the steps, but I think I can get several going at a time. When I mount /system I show I have 41% used (420572 of 1032088 blocks). I need some other gApps in there so when the devices are reset the students and staff don't have to reinstall Drive, Docs, Sheets, etc. from the Play Store.

Appreciate the help.

Manuellama

Dec 24, 2014
Sorry for the delay in answering.
I thought I had subscribed to the forum thread.
Can you send me a text file with the specific things you need via private message?
I can try to compile the rom again with your requirements.
Ask everything you need, do not get short on requirements. This way, I can check it better and tell you.

getyroks

Apr 5, 2011
would you be able to upload those files you used to a drive so i could download them? Im am having a hard time finding all the required files for BigPart.

I managed to get a stock wingray through the process

* OEM unlock
* Flash TWRP 2.6.3
* Flash TWRP 2.6.3 bigpart
* Wipe /system, /data, /cache
* Reboot
* Flash CM11 and gApps images from Manuellama
* Reboot to new /system
* Success!
* Reboot to fastboot
* Flash TWRP 3.0.2 img
* Reboot
* Confirm boot into /recovery and /system

It took about an hour going through the steps, but I think I can get several going at a time. When I mount /system I show I have 41% used (420572 of 1032088 blocks). I need some other gApps in there so when the devices are reset the students and staff don't have to reinstall Drive, Docs, Sheets, etc. from the Play Store.

Appreciate the help.

ericcl

Oct 8, 2010
would you be able to upload those files you used to a drive so i could download them? Im am having a hard time finding all the required files for BigPart.

The files are here. You have to flash the 2.6.3 TWRP first, then the bigpart. After that, you can flash TWRP 3.x. The directions on the bigPart thread worked more or less correctly for me. The one thing I didn't catch the first time was wiping /system, /data and /cache after the bigpart. But I was able to recover easily enough.

Be sure to check the MD5's against the original post.

Reactions: getyroks

getyroks

Apr 5, 2011
ill try these, I have done this before to 2 Xooms, that was a while ago. I somehow lost all my Motorola files in computer OS upgrades....

The files are here. You have to flash the 2.6.3 TWRP first, then the bigpart. After that, you can flash TWRP 3.x. The directions on the bigPart thread worked more or less correctly for me. The one thing I didn't catch the first time was wiping /system, /data and /cache after the bigpart. But I was able to recover easily enough.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello. I can help you with the build process. You can try the rom first in my dropbox folder for wingray.
    If you like it, I will build it again with the steps needed to make it work, since some patches have to be done first, and I will describe the process to make the build in a pdf.
    As I tell you, I can help you making the necessary modifications after you test the rom and see if it is good for you.
    I think everything works well. Camera etc. Schischu did a great job in the past.
    I could build lollipop omni but camera and hw videodecoding do not work yet.
    My skype is manuel.lama.paniagua in case you need to discuss it further.
    Hello. I can help you with the build process.

Awesome. Thanks! I'll skype you shortly. I have to recover my account (starts with 'ehc').