FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM][EOL][CARBON][KK 4.4.4] CarbonROM (MT4GS)

2,732 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,367

Thread Closed Email Thread
14th November 2015, 06:24 PM |#21  
OP Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Sunnyvale

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukenukemx

This rom is still being worked on? Does it fully work? Can I finally go back to a QWERTY phone?

The two glitches I am noticing is there is still no functional camcorder, and the stock launcher has difficulties with the OK Google decorations.

Other than that, (if that's not a deal breaker) then it's quite the solid ROM. Worth trying out.

8th December 2015, 02:03 PM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 106

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerJimLahey

The two glitches I am noticing is there is still no functional camcorder, and the stock launcher has difficulties with the OK Google decorations.

Other than that, (if that's not a deal breaker) then it's quite the solid ROM. Worth trying out.

Can the in-call volume be adjusted while using headphones? A typical mt4gs bug since CM9.
8th December 2015, 02:29 PM |#23  
Flag Sunnyvale

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKAm69

Can the in-call volume be adjusted while using headphones? A typical mt4gs bug since CM9.

Would probably be one of those gems buried in the device tree somewhere. I'm not sure where to look nor if it would interact with something else.

I realize it's a common complaint over the years, which leads me to be believe that (a) nothing can be done about it or (b) it's just been overlooked since CM9 due to the complexity of what is all there (and the priority of the time was to make sure the tree was still build-able due to newer CM code).

I am a bit overwhelmed by what all gets defined there, and I don't know where to start.

Did the problem morph over the years? At one point I remember it always full blast...

EDIT: I did find we are not the only one. The T-Mo S3 uses the msm8960 chipset, so I am looking at commits around that time. Had to dive into CM-11.0 branch since 10.2 petered off around that time, yet I still don't see anything relevant.

Unless "BOARD_USES_ALSA_AUDIO := true" has some significance for us.

UPDATE:

Probably not. If it does, it requires more work than setting one flag...
Code:
[email protected]:~/carbon$ make carbon -j5
============================================
PLATFORM_VERSION_CODENAME=REL
PLATFORM_VERSION=4.4.4
CARBON_VERSION="CARBON-KK-UNOFFICIAL"-20151212-2303
TARGET_PRODUCT=carbon_doubleshot
TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT=userdebug
TARGET_BUILD_TYPE=release
TARGET_BUILD_APPS=
TARGET_ARCH=arm
TARGET_ARCH_VARIANT=armv7-a-neon
TARGET_CPU_VARIANT=scorpion
HOST_ARCH=x86
HOST_OS=linux
HOST_OS_EXTRA=Linux-3.16.0-4-amd64-x86_64-with-debian-8.0
HOST_BUILD_TYPE=release
BUILD_ID=KTU84Q
OUT_DIR=/home/joel/carbon/out
============================================
Checking build tools versions...
/home/joel/carbon/out/target/product/doubleshot/obj/APPS/SignatureTest_intermediates
find: `src': No such file or directory
build/core/dynamic_binary.mk:44: *** hardware/qcom/audio-caf/legacy/alsa_sound: LOCAL_MODULE not defined before call to local-intermediates-dir.  Stop.
[email protected]:~/carbon$
The Following User Says Thank You to OfficerJimLahey For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift OfficerJimLahey Ad-Free
18th December 2015, 02:01 PM |#24  

More
Quote:

EDIT: I did find we are not the only one. The T-Mo S3 uses the msm8960 chipset, so I am looking at commits around that time. Had to dive into CM-11.0 branch since 10.2 petered off around that time, yet I still don't see anything relevant.

As I remember, the msm8960 is built with Krait cores and is a part of Snapdragon S4 Plus family, while Doubleshot uses msm8260 with Scorpion cores. But T-Mobile S2 has same msm8260 chipset as Doubleshot has.
The Following User Says Thank You to SKAm69 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SKAm69 Ad-Free
18th December 2015, 03:07 PM |#25  
Flag Sunnyvale

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

As I remember, the msm8960 is built with Krait cores and is a part of Snapdragon S4 Plus family, while Doubleshot uses msm8260 with Scorpion cores. But T-Mobile S2 has same msm8260 chipset as Doubleshot has.

You are right, they (T-Mo S2 and MT4GS) share the same chipset, which is actually msm8660.
I will take a look at their issues and device tree at some point, to see if I can find any clues.

UPDATE:

From What I see, the T-Mo S2 does not have the issue. There is also nothing glaring from the Common Board Configs.

Theirs:
Code:
# Audio
BOARD_HAVE_SAMSUNG_AUDIO := true
BOARD_USES_LEGACY_ALSA_AUDIO := true
BOARD_QCOM_TUNNEL_LPA_ENABLED := true
BOARD_QCOM_VOIP_ENABLED := true
TARGET_QCOM_AUDIO_VARIANT := caf
Ours:
Code:
# Audio
COMMON_GLOBAL_CFLAGS += -DHTC_ACOUSTIC_AUDIO -DLEGACY_QCOM_VOICE
TARGET_QCOM_AUDIO_VARIANT := caf
BOARD_QCOM_TUNNEL_LPA_ENABLED := false
BOARD_USES_LEGACY_ALSA_AUDIO := true
BOARD_QCOM_VOIP_ENABLED := true
While googling flags, I think I may have found the problem:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=747
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=753
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=754

Does not seem the solution has been found.
22nd December 2015, 02:33 PM |#26  

More
Isn't msm8660 a CDMA-only chipset? That's not really important but I know that the only difference between msm8260 and msm8660 is the cellular radio support (GSM and CMDA). And Doubleshot happens to be a GSM device, thus it should be using msm8260.

I've seen that the newer Sensation (XE) ROMs (at least CM11 based ones) have up to 630 Mbs of RAM available while we only have 520 Mbs available. And the hardware is identical: 768 RAM, msm8x60. How is this possible?

And Sensation also has CM12 and CM13
22nd December 2015, 03:00 PM |#27  
Flag Sunnyvale

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Isn't msm8660 a CDMA-only chipset? That's not really important but I know that the only difference between msm8260 and msm8660 is the cellular radio support (GSM and CMDA). And Doubleshot happens to be a GSM device, thus it should be using msm8260.

Apparently they can do both.
http://system-on-a-chip.specout.com/...gon-S3-MSM8660
http://system-on-a-chip.specout.com/...gon-S3-MSM8260

Quote:

I've seen that the newer Sensation (XE) ROMs (at least CM11 based ones) have up to 630 Mbs of RAM available while we only have 520 Mbs available. And the hardware is identical: 768 RAM, msm8x60. How is this possible?

And Sensation also has CM12 and CM13

Emman took some out for the kernel. His plans was to return some later on, I may have to see what he did originally and make some tests.

Also, methinks our kernel has to be revamped (get above 3.0) in order for CM12+. I'm not up for that. Besides, I don't know what kind of dirty tricks the Sensation dev's did for CM12/13, but they have less storage space than us, and we are already fighting at the limit without ART. They must have took a page from the HTC Dream book and repartitioned the internal block and offloaded most of the storage to the SD card.

If so, we would have to do a bit of that ourselves, and that is quite dangerous. Anyway, as long as CM keeps maintaining monthly security level updates for CM11 (probably likely until this time next year), I will keep applying them to the Carbon build.
The Following User Says Thank You to OfficerJimLahey For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift OfficerJimLahey Ad-Free
27th December 2015, 01:51 PM |#28  
Flag Sunnyvale

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Quote:

Emman took some out for the kernel. His plans was to return some later on, I may have to see what he did originally and make some tests.

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother...

I found the commit that limited our usable memory to 518MB. I reverted it in a sense, that is, allocated 2/3 of what was taken it back into user-accessible, and built from there. That gives us a new total of...wait for it...524MB!

So if I reverted completely (probably a bad idea as the extra kernel allocation means something on the kernel end), we would have ended up with a whopping 527MB of usable RAM.

So there is something else going on, that was tweaked long ago. At any rate, I put that build up on AndroidFileHost, if you want to grab it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-12-27-09-30-21.png
Views:	52
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	3590187  
19th January 2016, 07:09 PM |#29  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hey, I notice an update to this ROM was uploaded on 01/08...were you able to fix any of the issues mentioned in the first post? I might have to go back to this phone for a bit as my current one is acting all wonky and am trying to decide on a ROM to use.

Thanks!
20th January 2016, 10:26 AM |#30  
Flag Sunnyvale

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posarius

Hey, I notice an update to this ROM was uploaded on 01/08...were you able to fix any of the issues mentioned in the first post? I might have to go back to this phone for a bit as my current one is acting all wonky and am trying to decide on a ROM to use.

Thanks!

Same issues as OP, update was just the January security patches.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD
24th January 2016, 05:28 PM |#31  
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Wow that's cool you are making something for this phone. Keyboard phone love!
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
carbon rom, htc, kitkat
Previous Thread Next Thread