FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

NABI 2 Rear Panel Replacement

147 posts
Thanks Meter: 80

By SMcC2, Senior Member on 19th September 2014, 02:24 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I know I'm not the first to do this, but I don't think anyone has done any kind of step-by-step.

First thing I did was turn the Nabi off to be sure I didn't hit any buttons while I was working.

After I made sure the device was off

I flipped the device over, removed the protective bumper, and found a small screwdriver.

Remove the six screws holding the grid square panel in place.

Select a material to use for the replacement rear cover. I chose a white lid from a RubberMaid container.

I then traced the grid square panel on the lid with an Xacto knife.

I made my first attempt with a cutting wheel on a Dremel, but it melted the plastic and made the edges too rough.

For the rest of my cutouts I just used the Xacto knife, tracing the lines over and over until it cut through.

I then placed the square grid panel on top of the cutout, marked the holes with a fine tip Sharpie, drilled the holes out with a small drill bit, and rounded out one side of the holes with a round tipped bit on my Dremel.

I then screwed the new rear panels on and decorated them for the kids with some paint markers. (Orange and Black were the only colors I had...)

Other users have used this method in the past to attach velcro straps to the back of their Nabis to use for children in the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katinatez

After purchasing multiple car seat dvd players to entertain my children on long trips, but only last 3-6 months because of lousy materials. The last straw was the RCA DVD player from Target lasted 2 months; every bump and pothole the DVD would skip or jump or all together stop playing.

I decided to find a permanent fix since we are heading on a 5 hour trip. I then looked toward the Nabi and since I have two of them and two kids I tried a few attempts to mount the Nabi to the car seat but found a better solution that turned out to be free. And here are some pictures.

I took a DVD case and cut it to dimensions and drilled 6 holes to screw back in with two slots for velcro straps I removed from previous car seat dvd player. The pictures are self explanatory.

Feel free to post your own rear panel mods in this thread!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SMcC2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SMcC2 Ad-Free

1st October 2014, 02:02 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Texas

Donate to Me
More
New Rear Panel Mod!
Hey guys, was trying to think of something new/different to try with my Nabis last night while not working at work.... came up with this. I didn't pour my heart and soul in to it, it was more of a proof of concept.

I followed the same instructions for cutting out a new rear panel, but then cut out the middle (slightly less than half an inch inward on all sides).
Spray painted.
Cut a piece of plexiglass slightly larger than the hole in the new panel from an old plastic picture frame. (For this I found it was better to use the Dremel than a utility knife or Xacto knife. Using a knife caused the plastic to crack.)
Super glued the two together.
Printed a picture from the computer. (Dimensions for printed image were 5.25 side to side and 2.75 top to bottom, not that it matters how exact you are... the frame covers it up. )
Put back together. (Be careful not to scratch the plastic with your screwdriver)
TA-DA!!!
Attached Files
File Type: zip LicensePlateFont.zip - [Click for QR Code] (18.4 KB, 8 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SMcC2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SMcC2 Ad-Free
1st October 2014, 03:36 PM |#3  
Flag Arizona
Thanks Meter: 359

More
That's very creative. I like that. Now make the nabi look somewhat like a steering wheel and that would be cool for driving games.
2nd October 2014, 12:58 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Texas

Donate to Me
More
New ideas!
Don't have the money to spend on random little things I'm just going to cut apart right now, although who doesn't love taking things apart?!
So I sketched these in paint really quick.

If anyone has any other ideas please share!
And if you like the ideas hit me with a thumbs up!
The Following User Says Thank You to SMcC2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SMcC2 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
nabi-2

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)