FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[MOD] Disable Forced Encryption on Robin [Updated 2016-10-09]

468 posts
Thanks Meter: 165

By [deXter], Senior Member on 25th March 2016, 01:14 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I've modified Robin's boot.img to disable forced encryption.
With encryption gone, you'll be able to use TWRP to flash mods etc, without having to wipe your data every single time.
Other benefits include faster performance and better battery life.

Unfortunately, to actually remove the encryption - you will need to format one last time.
But once done and set up, you'll see that your phone is no longer encrypted.

Requirements:
- Unlocked bootloader
- PC / Mac
- fastboot (+ USB drivers if needed) -or- existing TWRP install

Instructions:

If you're using TWRP:
1. Perform a factory reset from within TWRP and reboot back into it (Note: This isn't required if your upgrading from an existing unencrypted stock install).
2. Flash the included zip file
3. Reboot

Manual flash using fastboot:
1. Download the zip and extract the boot.img file
2. Reboot your Robin into fastboot mode
3. Flash using the command:
Code:
fastboot -i 0x2c3f flash boot boot.img
4. Factory reset. (This isn't required if your Robin is already unecrypted and you simply want to update your /boot)
Note: If you skip this step, your phone will remain encrypted.
5. Reboot

Rollback:
1. Re-Enable encryption from Settings -> Security -> Encrypt Phone
2. Flash the stock boot.img

Credits:
@reddv1 for the original modification instructions (adapted from Nexus 5X) and @osm0sis for AIK

----
Disclaimer: Disabling encryption on your phone *will* reduce it's security. These files / instructions are provided only for those who understand and accept the risks of using an un-encrypted device, and are comfortable with modifying the internals of their phone. I will not be held responsible for any loss or damages occurred as a result of following the instructions and/or downloading the files listed on this page.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to [deXter] For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift [deXter] Ad-Free

26th March 2016, 07:39 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks, worked well!
Thank tested, will se if it gets any faster. Have been having some problem with lag that comes from time to time that I haven't seen on other devices.

Otherwise, great to see support for such a small phone!
27th March 2016, 07:17 AM |#3  
Flag Dubai
Thanks Meter: 110

More
The Robin devs are trying to be Community friendly as much as possible its good to see.
31st March 2016, 08:36 PM |#4  
Flag Medan
Thanks Meter: 56

Donate to Me
More
can it still be updated using this mod boot ?
2nd April 2016, 09:00 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanded

can it still be updated using this mod boot ?

Unfortunately no, because the OTA includes an updated delta for the kernel as well (which means the /boot needs to be 100% stock).
If you want to install via the OTA, you need to restore the stock boot.img (and the system partition - if you're rooted or modified it in any way, and the recovery too, if you have TWRP installed).

Alternatively, you may simply flash the updated stock ROM zip on top of your existing install - just be sure to flash the new boot.img zip immediately after (as well as SuperSU and any other mods you may have, if you want to preserve your current setup).
30th April 2016, 03:52 AM |#6  
Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 152

More
Thank you for this [deXter] it works great.
However does anyone have a solution for how to get rid of the 5 sec nag screen popping up at reboot?
Thanks in advance/arc.
15th June 2016, 07:47 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
For June update 350 please.
25th June 2016, 06:28 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I need help!
When I boot up and finish setup ,my battery percentage said : 3.0858 % and Wi-Fi wasn't turning on did I do something wrong?
25th June 2016, 09:04 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeldgaf

When I boot up and finish setup ,my battery percentage said : 3.0858 % and Wi-Fi wasn't turning on did I do something wrong?

This mod only allows you to use your phone unencrypted - it shouldn't affect your battery or WiFi. Are you sure you flashed the correct version?
Goto Settings - About. If you're on the June 1 ROM (Build 00WW_1_350) then your kernel version should say 3.10.84 Wed Jun 1. If these numbers do not match then restore to the latest factory image/ROM and start over. Also, have you tried a factory reset yet?
6th October 2016, 08:39 PM |#10  
Flag DW
Thanks Meter: 28

More
For 450 Please
The Following User Says Thank You to xmyszka For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xmyszka Ad-Free
9th October 2016, 09:36 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Updated for build 450.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to [deXter] For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift [deXter] Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
disable, encryption, forced, nextbit, robin

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)