FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Guide] Install TWRP and Root your Robin

2,147 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,713
 
By deadman96385, Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer on 11th March 2016, 04:52 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
15th March 2016, 02:50 PM |#21  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadman96385

Here is a rooted twrp backup:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/next...8#post65843511

Thaaanks!!! My Robin is up and running again.
 
 
16th March 2016, 07:37 AM |#22  
Member
Flag San Jose
Thanks Meter: 17
 
More
Hey everyone!

I am having no progress with getting my Robin rooted. So far, I have unlocked the bootloader and flashed TWRP. However, I am stuck here. When I boot into TWRP, I get prompted for a password to decrypt the system. However, my password doesn't work, and even if I wipe, it stills prompts me for a password.
I have attempted the method of restoring a pre-rooted backup, but because I am unable to decrypt the system, I can't even do that.

Any one have a way around this annoying road block?

Thanks!
16th March 2016, 08:26 AM |#23  
DJBhardwaj's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Delhi
Thanks Meter: 2,638
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorj7

Hey everyone!

I am having no progress with getting my Robin rooted. So far, I have unlocked the bootloader and flashed TWRP. However, I am stuck here. When I boot into TWRP, I get prompted for a password to decrypt the system. However, my password doesn't work, and even if I wipe, it stills prompts me for a password.
I have attempted the method of restoring a pre-rooted backup, but because I am unable to decrypt the system, I can't even do that.

Any one have a way around this annoying road block?

Thanks!

You will need to disable encryption. You can try by going to fastboot mode and using the following commands:
fastboot format userdata
fastboot format cache

The process will completely wipe the internal storage.
The Following User Says Thank You to DJBhardwaj For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DJBhardwaj Ad-Free
16th March 2016, 08:40 AM |#24  
Member
Flag San Jose
Thanks Meter: 17
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBhardwaj

You will need to disable encryption. You can try by going to fastboot mode and using the following commands:
fastboot format userdata
fastboot format cache

The process will completely wipe the internal storage.

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately that did not work. I get a FAILED error because the partition does not exist, neither cache nor userdata.
16th March 2016, 09:31 AM |#25  
DJBhardwaj's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Delhi
Thanks Meter: 2,638
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorj7

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately that did not work. I get a FAILED error because the partition does not exist, neither cache nor userdata.

Have you tried formatting data from TWRP > Wipe > FORMAT DATA ?
16th March 2016, 06:33 PM |#26  
deadman96385's Avatar
OP Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag Saint Paul, Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 7,713
 
Donate to Me
More
You do not need to disable encryption all you need to do is click enter on that screen it will then use the default password.
17th March 2016, 01:39 AM |#27  
Junior Member
Flag Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadman96385

You do not need to disable encryption all you need to do is click enter on that screen it will then use the default password.

I've tried that and it doesn't work. I've tried using pins and patterns and your method but still nothing.
17th March 2016, 08:19 AM |#28  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadman96385

You do not need to disable encryption all you need to do is click enter on that screen it will then use the default password.

Im having the same issue. I cant even install the prerooted rom because it wont mount my storage because its encrypted.
17th March 2016, 07:27 PM |#29  
Junior Member
Flag Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by singh029

Im having the same issue. I cant even install the prerooted rom because it wont mount my storage because its encrypted.

Yeah same here. I hope someone can figure out a fix soon. I can't even flash it via OTG.
18th March 2016, 06:08 AM |#30  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAvariciousI

Yeah same here. I hope someone can figure out a fix soon. I can't even flash it via OTG.

I finally got it!
The following guide assumes you have twrp recovery installed and your bootloader is unlocked.
1. Boot into twrp recovery
2. Tap Wipe
3. Tap Format Data and type yes
4. Tap Reboot > Recovery
5. Your encryption should be removed and you should now be able to see the internal storage.
6. While on the main screen of twrp, plug your robin into your computer.
7. Type
Code:
adb devices
into the command prompt and make sure your device is listed.
8. Put your supersu.zip in your platform-tools folder (same place adb.exe resides)
9. In the command prompt type
Code:
adb push supersu.zip /sdcard/
This will push the super user zip into /sdcard
10. Now tap Install and find your supersu.zip file and install it!

YAY! you did it! hopefully.

Reasons why this was neccessary:
-cant decrypt. so you must format data to remove encryption and install supersu because once you setup your phone (even without a password) it automatically gets encrypted.
-when trying to adb sideload, phone wont connect to computer to install supersu (im assuming because usb debugging is off). Hence, the reason for running adb push while encryption is removed.

I used step 3 on this guide
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to singh029 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift singh029 Ad-Free
18th March 2016, 06:24 AM |#31  
Junior Member
Flag Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by singh029

I finally got it!
The following guide assumes you have twrp recovery installed and your bootloader is unlocked.
1. Boot into twrp recovery
2. Tap Wipe
3. Tap Format Data and type yes
4. Tap Reboot > Recovery
5. Your encryption should be removed and you should now be able to see the internal storage.
6. While on the main screen of twrp, plug your robin into your computer.
7. Type

Code:
adb devices
into the command prompt and make sure your device is listed.
8. Put your supersu.zip in your platform-tools folder (same place adb.exe resides)
9. In the command prompt type
Code:
adb push supersu.zip /sdcard/
This will push the super user zip into /sdcard
10. Now tap Install and find your supersu.zip file and install it!

YAY! you did it! hopefully.

Reasons why this was neccessary:
-cant decrypt. so you must format data to remove encryption and install supersu because once you setup your phone (even without a password) it automatically gets encrypted.
-when trying to adb sideload, phone wont connect to computer to install supersu (im assuming because usb debugging is off). Hence, the reason for running adb push while encryption is removed.

I used step 3 on this guide

Nice man! I figured it out earlier today finally and now I have Xposed flashed with all my modules so I'm happy. You should post that on the Nextbit forums if anyone needs help.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes