[Guide] Install TWRP and Root your Robin

Search This thread

razorj7

Sep 30, 2010
San Jose
Hey everyone!

I am having no progress with getting my Robin rooted. So far, I have unlocked the bootloader and flashed TWRP. However, I am stuck here. When I boot into TWRP, I get prompted for a password to decrypt the system. However, my password doesn't work, and even if I wipe, it stills prompts me for a password.
I have attempted the method of restoring a pre-rooted backup, but because I am unable to decrypt the system, I can't even do that.

Any one have a way around this annoying road block?

Thanks!

DJBhardwaj

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 23, 2011
Delhi
GT-i9020
Google Nexus 4
Hey everyone!

I am having no progress with getting my Robin rooted. So far, I have unlocked the bootloader and flashed TWRP. However, I am stuck here. When I boot into TWRP, I get prompted for a password to decrypt the system. However, my password doesn't work, and even if I wipe, it stills prompts me for a password.
I have attempted the method of restoring a pre-rooted backup, but because I am unable to decrypt the system, I can't even do that.

Any one have a way around this annoying road block?

Thanks!

You will need to disable encryption. You can try by going to fastboot mode and using the following commands:
fastboot format userdata
fastboot format cache

The process will completely wipe the internal storage.

Reactions: asj2583

razorj7

Sep 30, 2010
San Jose
You will need to disable encryption. You can try by going to fastboot mode and using the following commands:
fastboot format userdata
fastboot format cache

The process will completely wipe the internal storage.

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately that did not work. I get a FAILED error because the partition does not exist, neither cache nor userdata.

singh029

Mar 17, 2016
Yeah same here. I hope someone can figure out a fix soon. I can't even flash it via OTG.

I finally got it!
The following guide assumes you have twrp recovery installed and your bootloader is unlocked.
1. Boot into twrp recovery
2. Tap Wipe
3. Tap Format Data and type yes
4. Tap Reboot > Recovery
5. Your encryption should be removed and you should now be able to see the internal storage.
6. While on the main screen of twrp, plug your robin into your computer.
7. Type
Code:
adb devices
into the command prompt and make sure your device is listed.
8. Put your supersu.zip in your platform-tools folder (same place adb.exe resides)
9. In the command prompt type
Code:
adb push supersu.zip /sdcard/
This will push the super user zip into /sdcard
10. Now tap Install and find your supersu.zip file and install it!

YAY! you did it! hopefully.

Reasons why this was neccessary:
-cant decrypt. so you must format data to remove encryption and install supersu because once you setup your phone (even without a password) it automatically gets encrypted.
-when trying to adb sideload, phone wont connect to computer to install supersu (im assuming because usb debugging is off). Hence, the reason for running adb push while encryption is removed.

I used step 3 on this guide

Last edited:

IAvariciousI

Mar 17, 2016
Las Vegas
I finally got it!
The following guide assumes you have twrp recovery installed and your bootloader is unlocked.
2. Tap Wipe
4. Tap Reboot > Recovery
5. Your encryption should be removed and you should now be able to see the internal storage.
7. Type
Code:
adb devices
8. Put your supersu.zip in your platform-tools folder (same place adb.exe resides)
Code:

-cant decrypt. so you must format data to remove encryption and install supersu because once you setup your phone (even without a password) it automatically gets encrypted.
-when trying to adb sideload, phone wont connect to computer to install supersu (im assuming because usb debugging is off). Hence, the reason for running adb push while encryption is removed.

Nice man! I figured it out earlier today finally and now I have Xposed flashed with all my modules so I'm happy. You should post that on the Nextbit forums if anyone needs help.

Nice man! I figured it out earlier today finally and now I have Xposed flashed with all my modules so I'm happy. You should post that on the Nextbit forums if anyone needs help.

I can't get past the oem unlock. Keeps getting stuck at <waiting for device> any ideas?

Developer Options are enabled as is USB Debugging and have adb/fastboot setup on win10. Was the same on OS X.

IAvariciousI

Mar 17, 2016
Las Vegas
I can't get past the oem unlock. Keeps getting stuck at <waiting for device> any ideas?

Developer Options are enabled as is USB Debugging and have adb/fastboot setup on win10. Was the same on OS X.

I can suggest a few things:

1. Make sure your adb drivers, usb drivers and Robin drivers are up to date. That's usually the main cause of this problem.

2. If you believe they're up to date then try uninstalling them and reinstalling them

Those are usually the main reasons why this happens but if those don't work try these:

- Downloading the fastboot and adb SDK tools from "http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html".
- Make sure your Robin isn't on the "charge only" option in your notification drawer.
- This one might be silly but make sure your USB cable is plugged in correctly. I made the mistake of plugging it in backwards haha.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: mnp
I can suggest a few things:

1. Make sure your adb drivers, usb drivers and Robin drivers are up to date. That's usually the main cause of this problem.

2. If you believe they're up to date then try uninstalling them and reinstalling them

Those are usually the main reasons why this happens but if those don't work try these:

- Downloading the fastboot and adb SDK tools from "http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html".
- Make sure your Robin isn't on the "charge only" option in your notification drawer.
- This one might be silly but make sure your USB cable is plugged in correctly. I made the mistake of plugging it in backwards haha.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the quick help dude. I was using an Android.zip adb/fastboot package, so will try the full SDK. I think there might be an issue with my JDK version so just updating that first. Robin was on MTP mode and double checked the cable so hopefully it will work now. Will let you know :)

IAvariciousI

Mar 17, 2016
Las Vegas
Thanks for the quick help dude. I was using an Android.zip adb/fastboot package, so will try the full SDK. I think there might be an issue with my JDK version so just updating that first. Robin was on MTP mode and double checked the cable so hopefully it will work now. Will let you know :)
Haha no problem man. Yeah definitely do that. Also when you download the SDK (make sure it's just the SDK package and it's the zip not the exe) you run the SDK manager and install the necessary files.

Haha no problem man. Yeah definitely do that. Also when you download the SDK (make sure it's just the SDK package and it's the zip not the exe) you run the SDK manager and install the necessary files.

Done! Thanks again. Installed new JRE and JDK and ran the full on Android SDK Manager and got it going with ./adb commands on OS X. Had to delete the DATA partition to get round the encryption issue in TWRP and then sideload supersu.zip. Then all good :) Now just need to reinstall everything again!

singh029

Mar 17, 2016
So i guess Android Pay will not work on Robin until TWRP decrypting is fixed.

Android Pay doesnt work when rooted. And if you try to fix it by doing a full unroot and try to setup android pay, then you can't reinstall supersu.zip because your phone will become encrypted again. Then you have to Format Data to remove encryption and that will wipe everything (including your card you just setup with android pay).

But maybe Robin can backup android pay data. I haven't tried it and I dont plan on it because im tired of wiping my phone. :(

Last edited:

micro2112

Aug 25, 2010
Columbus, OH
I cannot get past the fastboot stage.
Code:
ADB reboot bootloader
worked as expected. but
Code:
 fastboot devices
comes up empty but under device manager, there is a fastboot device shown. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Last edited:

DJBhardwaj

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 23, 2011
Delhi
GT-i9020
Google Nexus 4
Im having the same issue. I cant even install the prerooted rom because it wont mount my storage because its encrypted.
It will not mount because it has forced-encryption. To permanently disable it, you will have to use a custom kernel with Verity Check (dm-verity) disabled. For now, you can simply decrypt it, and go ahead with installing your ROM.
Here is a tutorial I wrote. It will help you install TWRP, decrypt your Robin, and finally root it.
How to Install TWRP and Root Nexbit Robin

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

I cannot get past the fastboot stage.
Code:
ADB reboot bootloader
worked as expected. but
Code:
 fastboot devices
comes up empty but under device manager, there is a fastboot device shown. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Could be multiple causes.
First of all, restart your PC. The port you connected to, might have too many links running (happens a lot on Windows).
If it still doesn't work, try switching the port, and connect your phone to a different one. Still doesn't? Try using a different USB cable, or PC.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am not responsible if you damage your device in any way you are the one that has decided to modify your device.

Guide

1. Download the Beta 2.68 SuperSU zip

2. Make sure you have adb and fastboot and robin usb drivers installed there are tons of guides just google it if you need to install them.

3. In cmd line type the following after connecting robin to your computer (and accepting the computer on robin if first time)

Code:
    adb devices

It should start adb and you should see a device listed if it properly connected with developer options enabled, if not go back and make sure you have the proper drivers installed and USB debugging is indeed enabled.

4. Next we are going to unlock the bootloader, if you already have then skip this step.

-It will wipe ALL you data if you are coming from a locked bootloader so back up your internal storage
    - You will need to enable developer options in your settings, this is done by going Settings->About phone and tapping Build number 7 times or until you "become a developer". Then you will need to go back to Settings->Developer options and enable USB debugging

First you must reboot to bootloader use the following command to do that:

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

Then after the device has rebooted into the bootloader screen you need to type this command

Code:
    fastboot oem unlock

6. Now that we are still in bootloader you can install twrp download the latest twrp img from here
    https://twrp.me/devices/nextbitrobin.html

7. Run the following command to flash twrp:

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.0.0-0-ether.img

8. Now the easiest way to root it with out having to time mashing the buttons to reboot to recovery again is to fastboot boot the recovery image and install your SuperSU zip then.

Code:
    fastboot boot twrp-3.0.0-0-ether.img

9. MTP does work so if you forgot to move your SuperSU zip over you can do it in recovery. Now you just do the normal proccess to flash a zip.

Troubleshooting
    1. Some fastboot binarys do not recognize the Robin's fastboot id so if your device is not showing up please add the following to your fastboot commands -i 0x2c3f so a command would look like this
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x2c3f flash recovery twrp-3.0.0-0-ether.img
    Yeah same here. I hope someone can figure out a fix soon. I can't even flash it via OTG.

I finally got it!
    2. Tap Wipe
    4. Tap Reboot > Recovery
    7. Type
    Code:
    adb devices
    Code:

I was on 7.1.1 stock and flashed TWRP, the latest version. It asked me for my encryption password. I didn't have any password at all on the phone. I wiped data and then tried to boot back into stock and it just got stuck at the boot logo. Nextbit has a 1.3gb package that reinstalls everything just by typing flash-all.bat on your cmd prompt. I just wanted stock with root, I guess that won't be happening right now. :(

Boot into fastboot, flash TWRP, boot TWRP, wipe data to decrypt, reboot TWRP, put magisk or supersu into your storage (you only see a TWRP folder on your pc), flash it, wipe caches, reboot (it takes some time), boom you are decrypted and rooted.
    Mine just in case