Soft Bricked Device - I've tried every suggestion on every thread

Search This thread

luckyheel

Mar 31, 2011
So, about 6mos ago, my Nexus 10 stopped working and I couldn't get it back working...eventually moved onto a new tablet, which now I hate....
Anyway, I figured I'd head back to my N10 because I loved it. However, one of the reasons I left it was because it was stuck in bootloop and I was pretty sure it was bricked.

The bad news, I have followed MANY, if not ALL, of the suggestions on getting it back, I just cannot get it to boot. The good news, fastboot connects with the tablet. So, some specifics:

The tablet WILL boot into fastboot and I can send commands and the tablet is unlocked (also, I believe someone said they had issues because they had an older version of ADB and Fastboot. I'm pretty sure I downloaded the 'most current' version 1.4.3). So, with that, I was able to do the fastboot erase functions, such as cache, userdata, system, etc... and then also load the bootloader (mantafm01) and also send the stock .zip file (image-mantaray-....) and the tablet appears to load everything fine. Thumbs up, right? However, when it reboots it stops at the 'erasing' android bot and will not pass that. I left the tablet in that state for a few minutes all the way up to 3 days...no success.

I also tried the above using Wugfresh only to have the same thing occur. So, basically, I am stuck at 'erasing' and I don't know what to do. I feel confident that the tablet has the ability to be brought back to life, I just cannot figure out how/why all of the attempts lead to the same issue.

What I can also tell you is that while fastboot 'sees' the tablet, the tablet does not appear as a device in "My Computer" like it normally did when connecting via USB. I am using the original USB cable and have tried on multiple computers, all to no avail. I've downloaded/installed the drivers, as instructed on many links. Also, while I can get to the 'Recovery Mode' by pressing Power, Volume Up, Volume Down, if I choose "Recovery Mode" on the tablet, it reboots and goes to the 'erasing' screen. I have tried flashing TWRP on the tablet using fastboot as well. And, sometimes, not all the time, the TWRP blue/black screen appears but it will not progress past that screen (i.e., it doesn't go into recovery).

So, if you can, please help. I believe I have followed all of the instructions, but I have to be missing something or not following something correctly. I'm stoked that it looks like it's only soft-bricked, I just can't get it un-bricked.

Thanks in advance!

peterk-1

Jan 15, 2012
Google Pixel 4a
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Looks like you are trying hard to find a solution. I think it may be helpful if you try to manually install the o/s rather that using Wugfresh and report back any errors. See
https://androidforums.com/threads/guide-how-to-flash-a-nexus-factory-image-manually.706533/ At step 11 I would flash the individual image files and also follow the instructions re erasing and flashing userdata.
AFAIK you will not see an Android device when using Fastboot - Android hasn't loaded at this stage.

luckyheel

Mar 31, 2011
Thanks peterk-1. Unfortunately, this does not work. I followed the steps, with the exception of the radio file as my Nexus 10 is wi-fi only. It goes through the stock image update perfectly fine and reboots itself. At that point, it's back to the moving android at the 'erasing' screen.
One thing to note with the link you provided; no where does it indicate flashing a recovery, stock or custom. Now, I've tried flashing stock, TWRP and CWM and none seem to work. TWRP comes closest with the black/blue splash screen, but will not open further.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

peterk-1

Jan 15, 2012
Google Pixel 4a
Google Pixel 7 Pro
You did go to the posted link? I quote:
Step 8: We now want to wipe the device. Use the following commands in order:
fastboot erase recovery

Step 11: We will now flash the system, boot, and recovery ..........................................
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img