FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

3D Printed Qi Charging Dock

32 posts
Thanks Meter: 37

By charlie_su1986, Member on 23rd June 2013, 07:19 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I prefer having my phone sitting up right, so here's what I did couple days ago

This is one of those cheap ebay Qi charging pad. Crack it open, move everything from here...

...to my 3D printed dock.

Slide coil in, PCB is held with double sided tape. Pretty straightforward.
A bit of PCB is trimmed off to make space for the connector. I did cut off the speaker, it's too loud for me.

Messy inside but hey, you can't see them!

Result:

And the back:

I have my SKP (Google SketchUp) files attached below, feel free to use or modify!
If you're actually going to send these files in for printing, make sure you double check all measurements!

-----EDIT-----
It appears that some of you may be interested in making one. I just made this model public at Shapeways http://shpws.me/oi3O.
This is designed to fit parts from "GMYLE (TM) Wireless Charging Pad Powermat Mat Charger". Other models may not fit and you'll have to modify.
You can download the model and make the walls thinner, engrave some text/logo, etc. The less material the cheaper it is.

Putting it together is very straightforward once you have the parts in your hand and use the the pics above as references.
Attached Files
File Type: zip N4Dock.zip - [Click for QR Code] (60.8 KB, 280 views)
The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to charlie_su1986 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift charlie_su1986 Ad-Free

23rd June 2013, 07:39 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 346

More
...BEAUTIFUL. The routing hole for the speaker is also really well-done and subtle. Is there a cover for the bottom to protect the PCB? I'd be slightly worried about the exposed copper from the cut, unless there isn't any.
23rd June 2013, 07:43 PM |#3  
Flag Cranston, RI
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Wow...that's amazing. Far better than anything else I've seen.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
23rd June 2013, 07:50 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Can I get one in black? Pretty please!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
23rd June 2013, 08:35 PM |#5  
Flag Livingston
Thanks Meter: 2,253

More
Very nice, you should sell the empty dock along with instructions of how to transfer the innards, that way I think you'd be safe from copyright infringement cos you're actually encouraging people to buy the other product and not copying any of the manufacturing process.

How is the coil held in place?
23rd June 2013, 08:54 PM |#6  
OP Member
Flag Calgary

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysj

...BEAUTIFUL. The routing hole for the speaker is also really well-done and subtle. Is there a cover for the bottom to protect the PCB? I'd be slightly worried about the exposed copper from the cut, unless there isn't any.

Hey thanks, I did not make a cover, 3D printing gets expensive real quick
It's sitting on a wooden nightstand so I'm not too worried about anything shorting out.

If i ever need to place this on some metallic surface the plan is to stick a transparency sheet below with some double sided tape on the edge, this should do the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy`

Can I get one in black? Pretty please!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I was gonna get it in black but for some reason black cost more, so I thought forget it.
You are free to send the files to any shop; I did it at shapeways:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/11461...ging-dock.html

This is the first time I have a model printed in that material, wasn't sure about its strength so the I made walls quite thick.
With some modification to the model the cost could go down to $40 something.
23rd June 2013, 08:57 PM |#7  
Flag Mars
Thanks Meter: 9

More
RESPECT ++
23rd June 2013, 09:08 PM |#8  
OP Member
Flag Calgary

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsubterrain

Very nice, you should sell the empty dock along with instructions of how to transfer the innards, that way I think you'd be safe from copyright infringement cos you're actually encouraging people to buy the other product and not copying any of the manufacturing process.

How is the coil held in place?

It's a public model on shapeways, please see the link from #6!

Coil is held in place with friction, no glue used so I can pull it out of that slot if needed.
PCB held with some double sided tape

Yes, how I put the parts together is nowhere near professional but good enough for personal use
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie_su1986 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift charlie_su1986 Ad-Free
23rd June 2013, 09:14 PM |#9  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 404

More
Wow, very nice! Looks like a premium build, maybe you should start selling these...I'd pre-order.
23rd June 2013, 10:08 PM |#10  
OP Member
Flag Calgary

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeco7

Wow, very nice! Looks like a premium build, maybe you should start selling these...I'd pre-order.

Original post updated with more info, you may order if you don't mind the price
24th June 2013, 10:00 AM |#11  
Flag Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Wow, it is a pretty cool product. Any thought on heat sinking?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)