FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

cheap DIY wrist strap/ lanyard solution

244 posts
Thanks Meter: 36

By theabsurdman, Senior Member on 1st February 2013, 11:20 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Once upon a time smartphones all used to come with fixing holes on the bottom to attach a safety wriststrap/ lanyard. now they don't.
Why are manufacturers denying their users the insurance policy of a safeguard against dropping their phone, or having it knocked from their hand? Doesn't make sense to me.

My previous phone: the HTC HD2 was no exception (no fixing holes) but I was able to get around this limitation by attaching a strap to a loop of duct tape under the battery cover, as demonstrated in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL3owsWT3E4

the Nexus 4 likewise has no wrist strap option but also alas! no battery cover so the HD2 hack won't work. the only option left is to fit a slim hard case and attach the strap to that, altho. most hard cases, like the phones seem also to regard wriststraps as passé. There is one hard case that I've found that does have the holes to allow the fixing of a wrist strap: the "Rearth Ringke Nexus 4 Slim", but it's a premium priced case, and currently hard to get in the UK.

I decided to go instead for a cheaper DIY approach. The cheapest hard case that i could find on ebay UK was one by e-cell: "PROTECTIVE SNAP-ON HARD MATT FINISH BACK CASE COVER FOR LG NEXUS 4 E960" #200876235150 @ £2.65 with free shipping.

It's a nice case for the price with a non-slip surface; stiff and not too bulky, it fits the phone tightly but as expected doesn't have the holes. I was however able to drill my own with about 1 minute's work using a dremel. I was careful to leave a generous gap between the 2 holes i drilled so as not to overstress the case material. I also made sure the holes were in a "corner" so that the wristrap would not obstruct the fit of the case.

Here's the result. I'm very pleased with it. Unfortunately the only colour that they don't supply is my preferred black! but the red is growing on me.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to theabsurdman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift theabsurdman Ad-Free

1st February 2013, 11:31 PM |#2  
Flag Cranston, RI
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Re: cheap DIY wrist strap/ lanyard solution
Cool. But I believe think the rearth slim case has lanyard holes.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
2nd February 2013, 10:41 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanJ18

Cool. But I believe think the rearth slim case has lanyard holes.

Don't see it?

And, I too, wish manufacturers would include a fix point.
2nd February 2013, 02:59 PM |#4  
Flag Cranston, RI
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by croques

Don't see it?

And, I too, wish manufacturers would include a fix point.

Its there. If you check out YouTube videos you can see it.

2nd February 2013, 06:08 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanJ18

Its there. If you check out YouTube videos you can see it.

the rearth case does have lanyard holes. i said as much in the OP!
2nd February 2013, 06:31 PM |#6  
Richardson, TX
Thanks Meter: 5

More
I don't get it, do you really put your wrist through the lanyard every time you use your phone?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
2nd February 2013, 06:45 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTatenza

I don't get it, do you really put your wrist through the lanyard every time you use your phone?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

not every time, and not always my wrist -- sometimes just a finger or 2.
mostly i use it when taking photos/ videos and juggling between portrait and landscape, or if i give the phone to one of my kids to take a picture.

the strap saved my hd2 a couple of times and so far (touches wood) i've never smashed any of my phones.

i also use the strap to brace the phone when holding it landscape in one hand. it takes the strain off so I don't have to grip it tightly.

and there are probably other uses (eg. theft prevention in a crowd?).

point is, the hitching holes are a zero-cost inclusion as far as the phone manufacturers are concerned so it's hard to see why they are all denying users this option now.
The Following User Says Thank You to theabsurdman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift theabsurdman Ad-Free
2nd February 2013, 07:01 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 2,619

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by theabsurdman

not every time, and not always my wrist -- sometimes just a finger or 2.
mostly i use it when taking photos/ videos and juggling between portrait and landscape, or if i give the phone to one of my kids to take a picture.

the strap saved my hd2 a couple of times and so far (touches wood) i've never smashed any of my phones.

i also use the strap to brace the phone when holding it landscape in one hand. it takes the strain off so I don't have to grip it tightly.

and there are probably other uses (eg. theft prevention in a crowd?).

point is, the hitching holes are a zero-cost inclusion as far as the phone manufacturers are concerned so it's hard to see why they are all denying users this option now.

Those "hitching holes" look unattractive and old school to me. They are found on ruggedized devices, not devices with a glass front and back. Perhaps the manufacturers feel the same way?
2nd February 2013, 07:42 PM |#9  
Flag Ogden
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by estallings15

Those "hitching holes" look unattractive and old school to me. They are found on ruggedized devices, not devices with a glass front and back. Perhaps the manufacturers feel the same way?

Also adding "hitching holes" is not a zero-cost inclusion. Adding another step to the manufacturing process will increase cost.
2nd February 2013, 08:21 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoL1m1tZ

Also adding "hitching holes" is not a zero-cost inclusion. Adding another step to the manufacturing process will increase cost.

they wouldn't be adding anything.
that part of the case is an injection mould.
it's a design issue.
2nd February 2013, 08:24 PM |#11  
Flag Ogden
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by theabsurdman

they wouldn't be adding anything.
that part of the case is an injection mould.
it's a design issue.

You obviously have no concept of how much those molds cost, along with the R&D to design and test the mold. For a feature that only a small portion of consumers want it is not worth the incurred cost.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
case, holes, lanyard, strap, wrist

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)