FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Nokia DT-900 Qi charger Teardown & Review

142 posts
Thanks Meter: 55

By rockerrock, Senior Member on 14th January 2013, 06:16 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I picked up the Nokia DT-900 from my local Verizon store for $49. When placing the device on the charger it will charge cycle a number of times before stabilizing into a charge. Last night I had a issue where I had to remove and replace the device because the charger was blinking after failure to charge 10+ times. The positioning doesn't matter as long as it's on the keystone, although the Nexus slides off rather easily.

The stock adapter is +12VDC 0.75A. I tried hacking in a +12VDC 1.75A transformer for faster charging rates but the device failed to do anything. I re-spliced the stock transformer and it still works. With daydream activated the keystone maintains to drains the battery as it cannot provide enough charge to power the device. For $49 this product is a compromise to failure in wireless charging technology due to charging rate and slick surface.

Battery Mix reports +/- 10%/hour charge

Inside the device. The back pops right off with a proper tool. Notice the 3 temp sensors between the coils.

Underside of the circuit
The Following User Says Thank You to rockerrock For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rockerrock Ad-Free

17th January 2013, 07:47 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 36

More
The maximum charge rate is set for 789 mA and at 4ish volts this is less than 4 watts. When the battery gets full the rate goes down, so try again with an empty battery.

There is not much use in a bigger adapter.
The Following User Says Thank You to jutezak For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jutezak Ad-Free
13th August 2013, 05:29 PM |#3  
Flag Naples
Thanks Meter: 29

More
This Qi charger isn't good, I tried it .
Bye!
! !
20th August 2013, 11:10 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Battery Full Nokia Qi charger and magnet
Hi, I'm sorry if the question is a nonsense but.... would a usual magnet, attached to the plastic cover of the charging plate, interfere with charging capabilities of the plate? or is there any Qi standard wireless charger, which would hold the phone with a magnet? would be a good charging accessory of the car.

thank you
22nd August 2013, 10:16 AM |#5  
Flag Erie, PA
Thanks Meter: 148

Donate to Me
More
Ended up returning mind and going with the WCP-300. Had little to no luck with these, zero issues with WCP-300.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
22nd August 2013, 05:01 PM |#6  
Flag NC
Thanks Meter: 53

More
I got one of these.. and the 1st few times I tried it, it was working great.. no issues at all...

now I can't get my N4 to stay charging for more than 5 minutes (then it stops, beeps, tries again, fails, etc)... I leaning towards returning it.
19th September 2013, 01:31 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Does anyone know what the thickness without the casing is?
17th December 2013, 06:28 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I've got some new tear down pics I will post soon. I just ended up using this charger in my car based on your review and a few others. thanks for posting this.
2nd January 2014, 10:43 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukihnio

Hi, I'm sorry if the question is a nonsense but.... would a usual magnet, attached to the plastic cover of the charging plate, interfere with charging capabilities of the plate? or is there any Qi standard wireless charger, which would hold the phone with a magnet? would be a good charging accessory of the car.

thank you

I would also like to know this!
3rd January 2014, 09:46 AM |#10  
Southport
Thanks Meter: 193

More
I've heard no but it goes against the physics, so I'd say yes. It's not a good idea to have magnets next to a phone anyway, unless it's a weak case one. That ought to be OK on the charger too

By backwards engineered alien technology.....
21st September 2016, 04:06 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by feanor3

Does anyone know what the thickness without the casing is?

http://imgur.com/b6S52RE
6 mm

You can open it up like this to make it thinner:
http://imgur.com/x5QyghB
4 mm PCB with power plug
3 mm PCB without power plug (if you solder your own power supply to it from car cigarette lighter for example which also regularly uses same 12 volts as this Qi charger takes as input)
4 mm coil

All measurements are approximate.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)