Orb now available

Search This thread

nivlac978

May 26, 2010
Hudson
Please excuse my ignorance - how is this more convenient than a regular charger? You still need to plug in the orb to the wall socket when you want to charge the phone, don't you? So isn't the orb really just a fancy replacement of the micro usb plug, without any real added value?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

This has been talked about to death. If you can't or won't see the value in this, don't buy it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

dispatch

May 28, 2008
Please excuse my ignorance - how is this more convenient than a regular charger? You still need to plug in the orb to the wall socket when you want to charge the phone, don't you? So isn't the orb really just a fancy replacement of the micro usb plug, without any real added value?

You're editorializing and that's not the same as ignorance. Some of us see added value in not ****ing around with a micro USB port in the dark. And it looks cool. And it's a dock (holds the phone).

turbodroid

Feb 15, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
$60 for this, plus tax/shipping? Sorry to say, but that is a massive rip off. I'll stick with my USB wall chargers that I already own and do the same thing. I don't mean to be a hater or anything, it's cool technology, but damn that's a lot of coin just to simply charge a phone.

yahoowizard

Aug 26, 2010
Yeah, no, it's k. I'll continue to plug my wire into the phone, and keep my 70 bucks for doing so =D. Wonder how Palm got their wireless chargers to get to such a cheap price. Perhaps it's because of the different technology...

Duncank

Dec 16, 2008
Rotterdam
www.projectfive.nl

czaplin

Oct 7, 2008
Chicago
That's what I think! With shipping and Chicago tax it goes up to $71.84 for me. I'd rather get not-so-fancy Energizer from Amazon for $68 and would charge two phones at once.

d_phekt

Oct 23, 2006
Minneapolis, Minnesota
It looks like there's a corresponding app or screen layout when placed on the orb. Either that, or it's a setting or status that I've never seen before. Take a look at the image on the google play store for reference.

https://play.google.com/store/devic...iZGV2aWNlLW5leHVzXzRfd2lyZWxlc3NfY2hhcmdlciJd

I noticed and wondered the same thing about that image. I wonder if it is something new in the possible 4.2.2 update.

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
It looks like there's a corresponding app or screen layout when placed on the orb. Either that, or it's a setting or status that I've never seen before. Take a look at the image on the google play store for reference.

https://play.google.com/store/devic...iZGV2aWNlLW5leHVzXzRfd2lyZWxlc3NfY2hhcmdlciJd

I noticed and wondered the same thing about that image. I wonder if it is something new in the possible 4.2.2 update.

It's this app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.hubalek.android.reborn.beta

Reactions: d_phekt

M0D3RNAFR0

Nov 13, 2012

Do you unplug the charger each time you're done using it?

maghig

Dec 6, 2010
Google Pixel 3
Samsung Galaxy S21
When yall get it, could you post on how how strong it holds to the charger? I'm assuming it's going to be magnetic. Looking to modify one into a car mount.

Or if anyone has had any luck with other wireless car chargers, I'd appreciate it.

fro5tie

Sep 3, 2009
Place it on my desk at work, set Daydreams to run when on charge, its angled perfectly for me to see and also effortless to pick up and go when im out and about

What's not to like? Its new technology it will always have a premium price

Reactions: FallN

kioshi

Feb 9, 2011
Fremont, CA
$60 for this, plus tax/shipping? Sorry to say, but that is a massive rip off. I'll stick with my USB wall chargers that I already own and do the same thing. I don't mean to be a hater or anything, it's cool technology, but damn that's a lot of coin just to simply charge a phone.

Okay, you go ahead and loosen your usb port while we extend the life of ours.

FYI, its about the same price as Panasonic qi charger. But those come from Japan, built quality. I'll take this one, since it comes straight from South Korea > better than coming from China.

I bought one. This will be perfect when I'm in Hong Kong.

FatalityBoyZahy

Jan 11, 2010
Camp Lejeune, North Carolina
www.YouTube.com
Okay, you go ahead and loosen your usb port while we extend the life of ours.

FYI, its about the same price as Panasonic qi charger. But those come from Japan, built quality. I'll take this one, since it comes straight from South Korea > better than coming from China.

I bought one. This will be perfect when I'm in Hong Kong.

USB ports don't get messed up that easily... lol

But damn, I want this thing so badly :(

Dec 2, 2012
DE
Gtfooh with that!! buy it to use it not make profit whoever trys to sell these for $100-$200 is a douche, and whoever buys it are dumbass's...

NEXUS 4 USER

Reactions: kioshi

FallN

Apr 11, 2006
$71.84 total.

That's kinda steep but I had mentally set aside up to $70 (total) in my head for the Orb when the Nexus 4 was first announced so... What's two more dollars, right? LOL

Funny how a $350 phone has turned into a $700+ purchase, LOL...

/sigh

Sent from my Nexus 7

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This has been talked about to death. If you can't or won't see the value in this, don't buy it.

Seeing them in the US play store from here as well, damn that's expensive though, I won't be purchasing one.
    The Verge are reporting that the Orb is now for sale on the play store. Not here in the UK atm...
    Thought I'd add some photos for those that are tired of looking at text only :silly:

IMG_20130215_173030.jpg

IMG_20130215_173120.jpg

IMG_20130215_173139.jpg

IMG_20130215_173305.jpg

IMG_20130215_173330.jpg

IMG_20130215_173335.jpg

IMG_20130215_173341.jpg

IMG_20130215_173406.jpg

IMG_20130215_173446.jpg

IMG_20130215_183235.jpg

IMG_20130215_182528.jpg

IMG_20130215_182557.jpg

IMG_20130215_182611.jpg

IMG_20130215_182631.jpg

Too low on the charger - no charging:
    IMG_20130215_182658.jpg

The lowest you can put it on the charger and have it charge:
    IMG_20130215_182707.jpg

It actually charges even without the phone having to touch it (I have only the official bumper on it):
    IMG_20130215_183010.jpg

An IMPOSTER trying to charge wirelessly. Grip on charger holds it in place, but no magnet action for my Sensation 4G!
    IMG_20130215_183423_(1).jpg

Overall, I like it but I don't think it's a good deal for the price (not that that will stop me from keeping it). I wish the magnet holding the phone were stronger (so that the phone would "snap" into place), and also that the charger itself were weightier (it is heavier than you might expect, but not heavy enough to not move slightly when you're lifting the phone off of it).
    saw the UPS truck park on the side of my house. Got all excited and confused.....oh well, maybe it will be shipped on V-Day.

Def showing 16th as shipping for me. Thats fine, as long as i get it before March.
    Mine better not show up on Valentines day! Any package shows up that day that is not for my wife and I am a dead man!