FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Review - Gadgetshieldz screen protector for Nexus 4

93 posts
Thanks Meter: 236

By bagmar.rakesh, Member on 7th March 2013, 11:24 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have been looking around for a screen protector that covers even the curved edges of the Nexus 4 screen, offers best clarity and best protection. Heard a lot about Gadgetshieldz being a very good option for the Nexus 4 screen protection as well as the glass back. And now that I have installed it, I can vouch for the fact that indeed its a great protector to have for the Nexus 4. I couldn't see a proper review of gadgetshieldz for the nexus 4. Thought I should post a short review with some pictures as requested by a fellow member on the Nexus 4 Indian thread.

It's a wet install screen protector and applies exactly like the zagg invisible shield (very good reviews but very expensive), xtremeguardz (was looking at this option before ordering gadgetshieldz), skinomi etc. Now, the wet install screen protectors tend to remain scratch free and clear over a period of time compared to their dry counterparts. Also they cover even the curved areas of a phone. Among the options that I looked at, gadgetshieldz seemed the best bet in terms of coverage, price and shipping. Xtremeguardz was another option that I was looking at but saw a few mixed reviews that complained about 'orange peel' effect and rubbery kind of feeling. So gave it a miss. Also, with gadgetshieldz shipping from within India I was able to get the protectors within 2 days of ordering whereas the other options would have taken at least 15-20 days to arrive from outside India.

I ordered gadgetshieldz for the nexus 4 through their site www.gadgetshieldz.in although they have one separate online store for their International customers www.gadgetshieldz.com. Apparently I was redirected to their local site when I tried to acess their international site. I chose to order the Maximum protection version (screen and body to put in simple words).

Direct linky to the product http://www.gadgetshieldz.in/google-l...protector.html

The skins include protection for the front, back and sides although I didn't bother to apply them on the sides due to the rubber finishing. The front screen protector looked a little different and thinner than the back. I don't know the reason but I am not complaining since the results were great. There were quite a number of bubbles after the installation on the front and it did give me a scare but the next morning, most of them were gone. The back was almost clear within 3-4 hours of installation. The curved edges went on perfectly and in fact were almost invisible. I tried to capture them in some of the pics.

The screen protector looks fabulous on both the screen and the back. The clarity is awesome and does not compromise even a bit on the superb HD display of the Nexus 4. Look at the pics with Angie staring at me. Hehe. Looks absolutely stunning. The touch feeling is also very smooth and almost feels like glass which I think is the best feature of this shield.

Mind you, there is nothing in the package, no spray, no squeezing card, no lint free cloth, just the high quality shields. I was really surprised with the high quality of the shields considering the price I had paid. I don't know how much better the other brands can be with this one being almost perfect. In fact, I have already ordered another one for my Nexus 10 which was on the stock screen protector all these days. Really aussum quality.

I would highly recommend this shield for any one looking to protect their Nexus 4, screen or back. Checkout the pics below.

Has a perfect cutout for the proximity sensor and the front cam. All the cuts are precise.

Nexus logo and the patterns on the glass..Loving it since I got the phone..

The colors look as rich as they are meant to be on the brilliant N4 display.

The Following 210 Users Say Thank You to bagmar.rakesh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bagmar.rakesh Ad-Free

7th March 2013, 11:54 AM |#2  
OP Member

More
Guys, please hit the "Thanks" button if you liked the review.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bagmar.rakesh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bagmar.rakesh Ad-Free
7th March 2013, 12:05 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Re: Review - Gadgetshieldz screen protector for Nexus 4
Nice review

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
7th March 2013, 01:17 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Great pics. can you plz tell us how to get rid of the bubbles while application. little more about your experience while applying the films ??
7th March 2013, 01:21 PM |#5  
Flag Belfast
Thanks Meter: 855

More
Pleasantly surprised that they do free shipping to the UK, and they seem pretty cheap. I'm happy with my BSE though and have ordered an XG (because it was ridiculously cheap) so I have no need for one right now, but I'll definitely try them in the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to Michealtbh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Michealtbh Ad-Free
7th March 2013, 02:20 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Ty Man awesome revieuw but how much bubles where there in the first place
ordered a Spigen sgp before and it terrible and expensive

the one you linked cost only 1/3 of theyre price so thats a deal.
7th March 2013, 02:58 PM |#7  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by uumeshh

Great pics. can you plz tell us how to get rid of the bubbles while application. little more about your experience while applying the films ??

Thanks. Well, I am not a pro myself since I have been a fan of dry screen protectors all these years. Only recently I have started using wet screen protectors. But I can tell you what I did.

I had wet the film fully. Didn't keep any areas dry since I think that might be the reason for all the bubbles. I used 2 drops of Jhonsons shampoo in 300 ml of water (approx) as suggested in the application instructions. Used pure mineral water.

Squeezed out as much solution as possible once the alignment was right. I was a little scared of the water seeping into the side gaps but I used a spare cloth from one of the dry screen protectors package I had used earlier. I used a card to squeeze out the film and kept the cloth on the edges so that as soon as any moisture came out from the film the cloth was there to absorb it. If I squeezed down, I had the cloth waiting on the downside to absorb. I think gadgetshieldz guys should include these tricks in their instructions. I avoided squeezing up side to prevent water from going into the earpiece.

Now I did have bubbles, around 9-10 of various sizes (smaller ones) but they were gone within 12-16 hours (dont know the exact period) but I would suggest being patient. Most of these wet protectors will have bubbles no matter how well you install them. The trick is to be patient. Leave the device under the fan for the entire night.

Let me know guys if you need any additional help. I will try to help you in whatever little way I can.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bagmar.rakesh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bagmar.rakesh Ad-Free
7th March 2013, 03:06 PM |#8  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michealtbh

Pleasantly surprised that they do free shipping to the UK, and they seem pretty cheap. I'm happy with my BSE though and have ordered an XG (because it was ridiculously cheap) so I have no need for one right now, but I'll definitely try them in the future.

Yup, even I was surprised by the quality although I have seen quite a lot of reviews on Gadgetshieldz and they have been around for quite some time now. I saw a review which dated around 4-5 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elh0mbreloco

Ty Man awesome revieuw but how much bubles where there in the first place
ordered a Spigen sgp before and it terrible and expensive

the one you linked cost only 1/3 of theyre price so thats a deal.

Yup, def a deal. But I guess you could have been a bit more patient with the bubbles in the Spigen. They all have bubbles and go away in 1-2 days. What was the issue with the Spigen sgp?
7th March 2013, 03:18 PM |#9  
Recovery Mode
Thanks Meter: 1,666

More
OP, new with the wet method.

What solution do you have to use for wetting the protector, as gadgetzsheild don't provide for one.
7th March 2013, 03:18 PM |#10  
Orlando, FL
Thanks Meter: 347

More
I never had bubbles with the spigen crystal ultra..

By the way nice review... How does the screen protector hold up with a case on it since it goes to the edges

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
7th March 2013, 03:24 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 696

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagmar.rakesh

Thanks. Well, I am not a pro myself since I have been a fan of dry screen protectors all these years. Only recently I have started using wet screen protectors. But I can tell you what I did.

I had wet the film fully. Didn't keep any areas dry since I think that might be the reason for all the bubbles. I used 2 drops of Jhonsons shampoo in 300 ml of water (approx) as suggested in the application instructions. Used pure mineral water.

Squeezed out as much solution as possible once the alignment was right. I was a little scared of the water seeping into the side gaps but I used a spare cloth from one of the dry screen protectors package I had used earlier. I used a card to squeeze out the film and kept the cloth on the edges so that as soon as any moisture came out from the film the cloth was there to absorb it. If I squeezed down, I had the cloth waiting on the downside to absorb. I think gadgetshieldz guys should include these tricks in their instructions. I avoided squeezing up side to prevent water from going into the earpiece.

Now I did have bubbles, around 9-10 of various sizes (smaller ones) but they were gone within 12-16 hours (dont know the exact period) but I would suggest being patient. Most of these wet protectors will have bubbles no matter how well you install them. The trick is to be patient. Leave the device under the fan for the entire night.

Let me know guys if you need any additional help. I will try to help you in whatever little way I can.

great review. I've tried the xtremeguards with my nexus but I have to say, the rubber feeling doesn't convince me

quick question: do you have a promo/discount code for me/us?

Many thx
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
gadgetshieldz, screen protector, xtremeshieldz, zagg invisible shield

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)