Search This thread

Thibaultvw

Sep 2, 2012
Ghent
Yes

It is just as easy to any of the three:
1) Update using an OTA update file;
2) Flash the stock images using fastboot;
3) Flash a recovery-flashable stock ROM zip.

I prefer number 2.

Fastboot is an important tool, and users should get familiar with using it.

Yeah I use fastboot myself for flashing recoveries & stuff but why'd you flash the whole image with data loss if you can update by just flashing some zip files in recovery?

And for 7-zip, it extracts all files except for radio and bootloader. Am I doing things wrong if I just copy them to the directory with my fastboot files?

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
Yeah I use fastboot myself for flashing recoveries & stuff but why'd you flash the whole image with data loss if you can update by just flashing some zip files in recovery?
As long as you don't flash the userdata.img file, there is NO data loss. It's just an upgrade.

And for 7-zip, it extracts all files except for radio and bootloader. Am I doing things wrong if I just copy them to the directory with my fastboot files?
If you are talking about the factory image, no, you are not doing anything wrong.

Thibaultvw

Sep 2, 2012
Ghent
As long as you don't flash the userdata.img file, there is NO data loss. It's just an upgrade.

If you are talking about the factory image, no, you are not doing anything wrong.

No data loss even if you come from a custom rom?

And yes talking about factory image. And if I take a look at the recovery.img it says: "last modified 31-12-2008"
Quite strange?

efrant

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
No data loss even if you come from a custom rom?
If you do not flash the userdata image, all your data will still be there.

That being said, anytime you swich ROMs, whether it is custom to custom, or custom to stock, stock to custom, there is always a chance that you may need to boot into recovery and do a factory reset and re-install your apps.

Thibaultvw

Sep 2, 2012
Ghent
If you do not flash the userdata image, all your data will still be there.

That being said, anytime you swich ROMs, whether it is custom to custom, or custom to stock, stock to custom, there is always a chance that you may need to boot into recovery and do a factory reset and re-install your apps.

When I switch roms (what doesnt happen often, the only I ran on N4 yet are CM10.1, PA and stock) but when I do I do factory reset in recovery, cache, dalvik cache, flash rom and gapps and reboot.
This is always 100% right I guess?
And if CM10.2 official nightlies come out I will install it. But if there comes android 4.3.1 a dirty flash will suffice, just like updating nightlies like always?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

efrant

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
When I switch roms (what doesnt happen often, the only I ran on N4 yet are CM10.1, PA and stock) but when I do I do factory reset in recovery, cache, dalvik cache, flash rom and gapps and reboot.
This is always 100% right I guess?
Yes.

And if CM10.2 official nightlies come out I will install it. But if there comes android 4.3.1 a dirty flash will suffice, just like updating nightlies like always?[/QUOTE]
Probably.

This is getting off-topic now. Let's keep the discussion related to the OP please.

Reactions: Thibaultvw

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just put this together. Here it is for anybody that wants it.

Got the leak from: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17683783/Mako-4-3.torrent

And here's the download: mako-4.3-rooted-signed.zip

Deodex download: http://goo.im/devs/gmillz/mako-4.3-rooted-deodexed-signed.zip

Root may or may not work. If it doesn't flash this

XDA:DevDB Information
    Android 4.3 for Mako (leak) rooted, a ROM for the Google Nexus 4

Contributors
    gmillz

Version Information

Created 2013-07-18
    Last Updated 2013-08-06
    My mind is blown at the whining. This is a leaked version, for all intents and purposes it's a beta. I really thought people would happier about this. I lost a lot of sleep and dragged a$$ at work. We spent a lot of time working with Jeff, poor dude got in trouble with the wife.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Deodexed is out
    Seriously. Sometimes I read through this thread and I'm not surprised as to why the op doesn't reply. Some of the topics are absolutely looped. The OP has it saying to download the root zip there but every page has it pasted atleast 5-6 times. Seriously? The spoon feeding is just way too much, this is xda, reading is everything you need. To top it off there's no official 4.3 support for apps, kernels, roms and yet the never ending questions to 'why doesn't it work?' like holy Jesus it's a leak! Therefore it isn't out yet! It's not meant to be a daily driver atleast till proper api support is added.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta