25 reasons why the Nexus 4 is better than the iPhone

Search This thread

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
More affordable, more customizable OS, bigger screen, led notification, google integrated services, better notification system, faster, bigger battery, factory unlocked and pentaband, easier apn input, more features, more ram, better SoC, root >>> jailbreak, and I believe much more but it might be subjective.

iphone 5 pros over nexus 4:

LTE, thinner, lighter, more pocketable although depends on people ( I don't wear skinny jeans personally), better overall build quality, crisper screen(slightly more Ppi), better overall support ( software and hardware), better value, iTunes, huge ecosystem, more storage options.

Last edited:
Reactions: Androidclub

big_b0sss

Feb 17, 2012
Belfast
Well want to share something here as a person I like Steve job but I always wonder about a statement of job, he said he would spend every penny to destroy android phone. Don't know why may be he never tried an android phone before.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Androidclub

theoneofgod

Dec 1, 2011
Xiaomi Poco F3
More affordable, more customizable OS, bigger screen, led notification, google integrated services, better notification system, faster, bigger battery, factory unlocked and pentaband, easier apn input, more features, more ram, better SoC, root >>> jailbreak, and I believe much more but it might be subjective.

iphone 5 pros over nexus 4:

LTE, thinner, lighter, more pocketable although depends on people ( I don't wear skinny jeans personally), better overall build quality, crisper screen(slightly more Ppi), better overall support ( software and hardware), better value, iTunes, huge ecosystem, more storage options.

Did you just say Apple iPhone is better value than the Nexus 4?

NienorGT

Sep 12, 2008
1. $299 contract free >>> $650 contract free
You are comparing an 8GB model to a 16GB model... Sure you still right in the end, but when you compare phone, compare the right equivalent phone...
2. Larger screen >>> Smaller screen.
Really? You know, this is NOT something you can compare, otherwise the Note II would be the best phone ever. Screen size importance is linked to phone and hand size. Someone with small hands (ie: a woman) will likely like more a smaller screen where everything is at reach without stretching all over. Phone size is a different debate, some people do prefer smaller phones.

That Lightning vs MicroUSB thing is quite a debate actually. Where the USB is universal, compatible to other devices and cheap, the lightning isn't without it's advantages actually. The fact you can put it in both way is just mind blowing, specially if you are like me and have two phones that have the MicroUSB port inverted. It's just enraging to always trying to plug it the wrong way... Finally, the proprietary connector on the iPhone wont stop it from being MUCH more supported with accessories than any Android phones out there.

That whole customization thing and "openness" is totally overblown actually. Only geek and techies are really caring about such features. It's REALLY rare for me to see a customized phone in the wild, I only see stock stuff. Hell, it's not even only customization actually, it's really rare that I would see someone with album arts on their music, I always see people with blank albums.

3. Amount of apps (both have tons of apps and all the major ones)
Actually, iOS still dominate in term of App quality and stability. Compatibility is also a problem, but at least, the Nexus is always one of the best for compatibility. Still, games are a huge win for iOS, you don't know how many games I tried on Android but didn't work on my phone.

Reactions: ap3604

ap3604

Feb 20, 2010
You are comparing an 8GB model to a 16GB model... Sure you still right in the end, but when you compare phone, compare the right equivalent phone...

I went ahead and changed the first post, thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Really? You know, this is NOT something you can compare, otherwise the Note II would be the best phone ever. Screen size importance is linked to phone and hand size. Someone with small hands (ie: a woman) will likely like more a smaller screen where everything is at reach without stretching all over. Phone size is a different debate, some people do prefer smaller phones.

I went ahead and moved the large vs small screen to the "personal preference" section.

That Lightning vs MicroUSB thing is quite a debate actually. Where the USB is universal, compatible to other devices and cheap, the lightning isn't without it's advantages actually. The fact you can put it in both way is just mind blowing, specially if you are like me and have two phones that have the MicroUSB port inverted. It's just enraging to always trying to plug it the wrong way... Finally, the proprietary connector on the iPhone wont stop it from being MUCH more supported with accessories than any Android phones out there.

Being able to plug in a charging cable both ways doesn't seem that "mind blowing" to me. I don't find having to plug things in the right way "enraging" either. Both mine and yours above mainly seem like personal opinions.

As for facts... there's not a chance in hell of a proprietary plug like the lightning connection becoming an industry standard like MicroUSB is.

That whole customization thing and "openness" is totally overblown actually. Only geek and techies are really caring about such features. It's REALLY rare for me to see a customized phone in the wild, I only see stock stuff. Hell, it's not even only customization actually, it's really rare that I would see someone with album arts on their music, I always see people with blank albums.

This is just your personal opinion. My personal opinion is that I could see customization being a major draw for certain people. The fact that at least the option is there on the Nexus 4 whereas totally lacking on the iPhone makes this a plus for the android device.

Actually, iOS still dominate in term of App quality and stability. Compatibility is also a problem, but at least, the Nexus is always one of the best for compatibility. Still, games are a huge win for iOS, you don't know how many games I tried on Android but didn't work on my phone.

Do you have a study showing these "quality and stability" claims? I'd be happy to put this into the original post if there is anything out there supporting your claim but this mainly just seem like personal opinions to me.

Also can you come up with a list of major games essential to the OS user experience that Android is lacking vs iOS? I'll add this to the OP if this is true.

Last edited:

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA

youre saying that the android "openness" is overblown but you call the lightning connector mind blowing........

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nexus advantages:
    1. $349 contract free >>> $649 contract free

2. Cheaper $299 contract free version >>> No cheaper version of latest gen phone

3. Google maps >>> Apple maps.

4. 3G radios for two different carriers >>> 3G radio for only 1 carrier

5. Customization of home screens >>> No customization of home screens

6. Notification LED >>> No notification LED

7. Quick Settings >>> No quick settings

8. Not needing a clunky program >>> Relying on iTunes

9. Widgets >>> No widgets

10. Ability to set default programs >>> No ability to set default programs

11. Company that preaches openness >>> Company that is closed minded

12. Voice to text even if you don' t have data >>> Always needing data to use voice to text

13. Gaming emulators >>> No emulators

14. File system >>> No file system

15. NFC >>> No NFC

16. Refund window of 15 minutes for apps >>> No refund window

17. Wireless charging vs No wireless charging

18. Photo sphere >>> Regular panorama

19. Industry standard micro USB >>> Proprietary lightning connector (Thanks Zurginator!)

20. Full updates >>> Feature-stripped updates (Thanks Zurginator!)

21. Customizable keyboard >>> Non-customizable keyboard (Thanks GiantJay!)

22. Android beam for super easy sharing of photos, videos, apps, and more >>> No android beam (Thanks coolbiza!)

23. USB-OTG to use with storage drives >>> No ability to work with storage drives (Thanks wurzelsepp3!)

24. Ability to easily root / flash roms >>> Jailbreaking getting harder and harder for hackers to accomplish over time (Thanks wurzelsepp3!)

25. Oh... and did I mention $349 contract free >>> $649 contract free? (with a $299 option if you want) ;)

And of course I don't want to be biased in this thread so here are the iPhone advantages below...

iPhone advantages:
    1. LTE >>> No LTE

2. CDMA + GSM options >>> Only GSM

3. Apple store customer service >>> Sending through mail for repairs

4. Easier to sell >>> Harder to sell (not as many people know the Nexus)

5. No thinking required >>> Thinking required (for the tech challenged)

6. 32 and 64 gb options available >>> 8 and 16 gb options only

7. Almost zero chance of malware >>> Very small chance of malware

8. More accessories >>> Less accessories (Thanks Zurginator!)

Washes:
    1. OS smoothness (both are very smooth ever since project butter)

2. Housing materials (both have issues... soft aluminum scuffgate on the iphone but glass back on the nexus 4)

3. Amount of apps (both have tons of apps and all the major ones)

4. Non-removable batteries

5. Great IPS screens in HD

6. $199 price on contract

7. Fragmentation (both platforms have this now since 3gs, 4/4s, and 5 all have different resolutions for apps)

Personal preference:
    1. Larger screen vs Smaller screen.

Did I miss anything?
    I find microusb a disadvantage. I hate microusb ports. They are fragile and difficult to plug in. That lightning port is great and wish we had that... Or something that is easy to use at night without seeing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Then bam! came wireless charging and no more frustration over wired cables :rolleyes:
    Wow, I thought we were at a point where both phones could exist cohesively. Why do we need posts like these?

Now, just to prove a point: (from AnandTech)

gjqgq.png

wvMnL.png

cNd9c.png

orE6W.png

XUhmd.png

3b3Lz.png

1WO0w.png

Byopl.png

For one phone to be good/or exist, the other does not need to be bad/or banned. Let's get over this childish Apple vs Google arguments.

I went ahead and changed the first post, thank you for bringing it to my attention.

I went ahead and moved the large vs small screen to the "personal preference" section.

Being able to plug in a charging cable both ways doesn't seem that "mind blowing" to me. I don't find having to plug things in the right way "enraging" either. Both mine and yours above mainly seem like personal opinions.

As for facts... there's not a chance in hell of a proprietary plug like the lightning connection becoming an industry standard like MicroUSB is.

This is just your personal opinion. My personal opinion is that I could see customization being a major draw for certain people. The fact that at least the option is there on the Nexus 4 whereas totally lacking on the iPhone makes this a plus for the android device.

Do you have a study showing these "quality and stability" claims? I'd be happy to put this into the original post if there is anything out there supporting your claim but this mainly just seem like personal opinions to me.

Also can you come up with a list of major games essential to the OS user experience that Android is lacking vs iOS? I'll add this to the OP if this is true.
    Tell ya mates to get a grip ffs!

This made me LOL

I agree and idk why iPhone heads are on xda in the first place..

+1