Android 5.X Lollipop Discussions.....

Search This thread

stuffynet

Aug 31, 2010
nexus2cee_4l.png

[URL="https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images"]ANDROID 5.x Lollipop for N4[/URL]
Android 5.x Lollipop is here

About Android 5.x Lollipop

nexus2cee_image_thumb30.png

Features:
HTML:
[LEFT]Material Design

A bold, colorful, and responsive UI design for consistent, intuitive experiences across all your devices

Responsive, natural motion, realistic lighting and shadows, and familiar visual elements make it easier to navigate your device
Vivid new colors, typography, and edge-to-edge imagery help to focus your attention
Notifications

New ways to control when and how you receive messages - only get interrupted when you want to be

View and respond to messages directly from your lock screen. Includes the ability to hide sensitive content for these notifications
For fewer disruptions, turn on Priority mode via your device’s volume button so only certain people and notifications get through. Or schedule recurring downtime like 10pm to 8am when only Priority notifications can get through
With Lollipop, incoming phone calls won’t interrupt what you’re watching or playing. You can choose to answer the call or just keep doing what you’re doing
Control the notifications triggered by your apps; hide sensitive content and prioritize or turn off the app’s notifications entirely
More intelligent ranking of notifications based on who they’re from and the type of communication. See all your notifications in one place by tapping the top of the screen
Battery

Power for the long haul

A battery saver feature which extends device use by up to 90 mins
Estimated time left to fully charge is displayed when your device is plugged in
Estimated time left on your device before you need to charge again can now be found in battery settings
Security

Keep your stuff safe and sound

New devices come with encryption automatically turned on to help protect data on lost or stolen devices
SELinux enforcing for all applications means even better protection against vulnerabilities and malware
Use Android Smart Lock to secure your phone or tablet by pairing it with a trusted device like your wearable or even your car
Device Sharing

More flexible sharing with family and friends

Multiple users for phones. If you forget your phone, you still can call any of your friends (or access any of your messages, photos etc.) by simply logging into another Android phone running Lollipop. Also perfect for families who want to share a phone, but not their stuff
Guest user for phones and tablets means you can lend your device and not your stuff
Screen pinning: pin your screen so another user can access just that content without messing with your other stuff
New Quick Settings

Get to the most frequently used settings with just two swipes down from the top of the screen

New handy controls like flashlight, hotspot, screen rotation and cast screen controls
Easier on/off toggles for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and location
Manually adjust your brightness for certain conditions. Then, adaptive brightness will kick in based on ambient lighting
Connectivity

A better internet connection everywhere and more powerful Bluetooth low energy capabilities

Improved network handoffs resulting in limited interruption in connectivity. For example, continue your video chat or VoIP calls without interruption as you leave the house and switch from your home Wi-Fi back to cellular
Improved network selection logic so that your device connects only if there is a verified internet connection on Wi-Fi
Power-efficient scanning for nearby Bluetooth low energy (“BLE”) devices like wearables or beacons
New BLE peripheral mode
Runtime and Performance

A faster, smoother and more powerful computing experience

ART, an entirely new Android runtime, improves application performance and responsiveness
Up to 4x performance improvements
Smoother UI for complex, visually rich applications
Compacting backgrounded apps and services so you can do more at once
Support for 64 bit devices, like the Nexus 9, brings desktop class CPUs to Android
Support for 64-bit SoCs using ARM, x86, and MIPS-based cores
Shipping 64-bit native apps like Chrome, Gmail, Calendar, Google Play Music, and more
Pure Java language apps run as 64-bit apps automatically
Media

Bolder graphics and improved audio, video, and camera capabilities

Lower latency audio input ensuring that music and communication applications that have strict delay requirements provide an amazing realtime experience
Multi-channel audio stream mixing means professional audio applications can now mix up to eight channels including 5.1 and 7.1 channels
USB Audio support means you can plug USB microphones, speakers, and a myriad of other USB audio devices like amplifiers and mixers into your Android device
OpenGL ES 3.1 and Android extension pack brings Android to the forefront of mobile graphics putting it on par with desktop and console class performance
A range of new professional photography features for Android Lollipop that let you
Capture full resolution frames around 30 fps
Support raw formats like YUV and Bayer RAW
Control capture settings for the sensor, lens, and flash per individual frame
Capture metadata like noise models and optical information
State of the art video technology with support for HEVC main profile to allow for UHD 4K 10-bit video playback, tunneled hardware video decoding to save power and improved HLS support for streaming
OK Google

Easy access to information and performing tasks

Even if your screen is off, you can say "OK Google" on devices with digital signal processing support such as Nexus 6 and Nexus 9
Talk to Google on the go to get quick answers, send a text, get directions and more
Android TV

Support for living room devices

User interface adapted for the living room
Less browsing, more watching with personalized recommendations for content like movies and TV shows
Voice search for Google Play, YouTube and supported apps so you can just say what you want to see
Console-style Android gaming on your TV with a gamepad
Cast your favorite entertainment apps to your big screen with Google Cast support for Android TV devices
Accessibility

Enhanced low vision and color blind capabilities

Boost text contrast or invert colors to improve legibility
Adjust display to improve color differentiation
Now in 68+ languages

15 new additions

Basque, Bengali, Burmese, Chinese (Hong Kong), Galician, Icelandic, Kannada, Kyrgyz, Macedonian, Malayalam, Marathi, Nepali, Sinhala, Tamil, Telugu
Device set up

Get up and running in no-time

Tap & go: instant set up of your new Android phone or tablet by simply tapping it to your old one (requires NFC)
Whenever you get a new Android phone or tablet, you can bring over your apps from Google Play automatically from any of your old Android devices
And a whole lot more

Tap & pay: easily manage multiple payment apps by quickly switching between them
Print preview and page range support
Revamped display for battery, Bluetooth, data usage, and Wi-Fi settings and new search functionality
New device level feedback for Nexus devices in Settings > about phone > send feedback
Easier sharing with
Improved ranking of your options within the share menu
Android Beam: lets you share a file with someone nearby by gently tapping the two devices together
Where supported by the hardware, your device will wake up as soon as you pick it up or tap the screen twice
Improved hardware keyboard accessory support including support for multilingual, emoji input, search key, and improved app and system key chords[/LEFT]

Attachments

• nexusae0_wm_1.jpg
    nexusae0_wm_1.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 29,179
  • nexusae0_wm_2.jpg
    nexusae0_wm_2.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 28,555
  • nexusae0_wm_Bluetooth.jpg
    nexusae0_wm_Bluetooth.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 26,203
  • nexusae0_wm_data.jpg
    nexusae0_wm_data.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 24,480
  • nexusae0_wm_WiFi1.jpg
    nexusae0_wm_WiFi1.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 22,657
Last edited:

xtatsh

Sep 12, 2012
Cavite
So here is the deal.

Over the past releases of android Google maid a habit of teasing next android versions using the phone clock (see attachment). So I guess that this year at Google I/O we will really see a new version and that is 5.0. Hope it is something breath taking as it was with the Ice Cream S.
I am really confident that our beloved Nexus will get it.

Source

i think the IO would focus on ANdroid Wear, there would be a low chance of seeing any android update announcement on the coming event,
looking here
http://techyneko.blogspot.fr/2014/06/lg-g-watch-to-be-given-away-at-google.html

you notice that the event would go highlight the G watch and Moto 360, though i wish there would be somewhat a teaser or something

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
The new version is being tested on a nexus 4, so why shouldn't they release it for our device?

Goog generally builds most builds for every device, even ones that they have no intention at all of releasing for.

If you look at Source code tags and builds - XDA wiki at all the JRO03x builds, and then look at the individial pages and the beta rom list, you'll see that even though most build of it were for a specific device, they generally build them for every one they actively support and never release them except for the intended device.

If they decide to both:
  1. Move down to 1 major update a year, and do it in the fall
  2. Not change their ~18 months of major updates (with wiggle room for minor patches)
Then N4 won't see "L", at least not officially. If they do decice to do a major release (KK 4.5 even, doesnt have to be L), it will be the last expected major update for the N4.

We dont know what google is thinking though, nor can even they themselves know.
They dont actually make any formal statement on exactly how long they support a device

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705?hl=en&ref_topic=3415518 said:
Devices may not receive the latest version of Android if they fall outside of the update window, traditionally around 18 months after a device release.
They could drop support for the N4 tomorrow if they wanted, or extend it so it gets "L" also, or even pick one and change their minds afterwards.

The fact that the GN didnt get KK has everything to do with the update window and nothing to do with the fact that TI stopped the production of OMAP SoCs.
Similar to how they both stated that "any official GB device should be compatable with ICS" and that they themselves didnt update the N1, it was beyond it's ~18mo support for major updates.

The 2012 N7 is already winding down support, when goog decided to start releasing binaries for master branch AOSP, they didnt bother including 2012 N7 binaries for it, as it would be ending support very soon (which likely will be 4.4.5 if they patch the towelroot exploit without holding the fix for 4.5/whatever, and 4.4.4 if they do not patch it for whatever reason)'

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I myself do hope that they keep releasing "look ahead"/beta binaries and stuff for the n4, even if they decide to drop support for it by then.
If they do decide to not extend the N4's update status, having beta binaries is still better then not getting anything, custom roms like CM/what have you will have an easier time then if they had nothing like previous devices.

Last edited:

prog19

Apr 29, 2012
Its really sad, because the nexus 4 have the hardware to handle it. But custom roms will always be there.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: BassBlaster

ekine

Apr 10, 2010
Yes, but I don't lose hope.... I think Google, this time if it will set an example to reduce fragmentation.... I believe.

opssemnik

Account currently disabled
Jun 10, 2013
GB
meettomy.site
gnex didnt got the update to 4.4 because of its really old hardware(it´s gpu its from late 2k9), remember, glass also uses TI soc and its running KK.
also, i dont bet google would allow 3rd parties to have beta androids, so that device was probably a nexus 4.
what i dont think n4 will receive is "K", since by the ss of "L" that looks like 4.5

Reactions: nexuses

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
gnex didnt got the update to 4.4 because of its really old hardware(it´s gpu its from late 2k9), remember, glass also uses TI soc and its running KK.
also, i dont bet google would allow 3rd parties to have beta androids, so that device was probably a nexus 4.
what i dont think n4 will receive is "K", since by the ss of "L" that looks like 4.5

Google glass has native KK, and it uses functionally the same hardware.
It's the form factor on it that makes it different, the SoC on it isnt particularly exotic.

Also it depends on what your definition of "beta" is, goog regularly hands out builds that they themselves dont use (not as final release roms at least),
samsung/dell/lg/many others have had access to builds before they landed on aosp plenty of times in the past, builds that do not have official tags.

Then there's the obvious play edition devices and roms, they can't function without having early access to builds.
Given the critical hotfixes of KRT16S/KOT49H in the past, they too were effectively betatesting roms along with nexii.
In the relatively recent past, the GPE S4 had 4.3 leaked for it before even any nexii.

king231

Feb 11, 2013
Hyderabad
Google Pixel 7
Actually nexus 4 might get the "L" update. Because Google usually stops the updates when the 2nd successor of the phone is launched for example galaxy nexus didn't get the update when nexus 5 launched and Nexus s didn't get am update when nexus 4 was launched.
Anyways I don't we should be the first ones to worry. Google should first end the updates for nexus 7 2012 then ours comes 6 months later.
And nexus 4 didn't launch in every country at the same to time like in India and Pakistan it was launched officially 6 months after the rest of the world so I guess we would still be getting updates.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app

uchihakurtz

Jan 5, 2013
Depok
Samsung Galaxy S21
Naming and numbering confirmed, Android 5.0 Lolipop. Let's gather what we know so far :

-64 bit support
-New design language, Quantum Paper
-Design overhaul with help of Project Hera
-Default ART runtime and death of Dalvik.

What else am I missing?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

olyloh6696

Oct 20, 2009
Manchester
Naming and numbering confirmed, Android 5.0 Lolipop. Let's gather what we know so far :

-64 bit support
-New design language, Quantum Paper
-Design overhaul with help of Project Hera
-Default ART runtime and death of Dalvik.

What else am I missing?

Doesn't seem like there's any new features?

Apart from under the hood changes and minor UI updates, what is new functionality wise?

I really hope this Nexus gets the update or I will be truly gutted.

uchihakurtz

Jan 5, 2013
Depok
Samsung Galaxy S21
Doesn't seem like there's any new features?

Apart from under the hood changes and minor UI updates, what is new functionality wise?

I really hope this Nexus gets the update or I will be truly gutted.

Yeah, I kinda hope they add split view for tablet and more features cuz stock is starting to feel boring when you see all those flagship phones out there.

As for updates, I wouldn't worry since just having the Nexus name is guaranteed support until the hardware dies out. Not to mention Nexus 4's spec is still in the high ranked ones till this day. Check out how far Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus are.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Success ! ! !

ITS DONE! ! !

Yes! FInally! However it is very slow currently! I am looking into it. For now you have the logcat and a snapshot!!
    I would be interested :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Alright it is gonna be more on the simplistic side because I don't know everyone's knowledge level.

The boot.img consists of a kernel and the ramdisk, the ramdisk includes all the init files and basic loading of everything. When developers talk about getting something to boot, they are normally working on the boot.img and fastboot (generally depending on the platform and availability of fastboot), you can also make update.zips and flash them as usual too. The inits between kit Kat and android L are different mostly because of selinux and induction of Knox so it is taking a bit longer to get that all worked out.
    Second is the system.img that can either be fastboot flashed or turned into a zip with the proper layout and updater script to make a flash able update.zip too (once again depends on the device, some actually use tarballs)
    Now here is where it is more difficult to explain.
    Everything in a Linux file structure is a file, the ram, drivers, sdcard, all is a file. Proprietary binaries are the driver code provided in a binary file for everything from the camera to the touchscreen drivers to work the emmc hardware. Those binaries are code compiled against a certain version of the software and then distributed as closed source binary code. Google would have that code because it is provided under NDA to them to work with.

Next we talk about libraries, libraries are either static or dynamically linked and are compiled code for the system to use, these are highly important because these control everything at the upper system level. When programs are compiled they rely on other programs or hardware to work while also talking to the kernel. Dynamic libraries intertwine throughout other files with linker files or directly into the code while static libraries are worked on and don't need other libraries to function. As far as porting goes, you normally have the code that versions are based on so you can read it and have an idea of what links to what and write linker or fake files to bypass the dynamic libraries they are built on so you can rewrite a library for the function can continue (in porting, you write it so it will work with your hardware vs the original intended hardware)
    Now the problems we are running into against say porting touchwiz to work on the n4 or even back porting. We don't have android L code at all, we don't even know what changes they made to the kernel or any code whatsoever in the source and since we can't compile our own libraries to work with our hardware because we don't have the code puts us at a distinct disadvantage against say a back port. There has been WiFi file structure change ups, selinux, Knox and art runtime changes that we don't know and can't see and we are working on unknown to us changes.

I hope that described it a bit, I kinda rambled and didn't proofread it, there is more involved but I was just trying to explain the gist of things in simple terms

Sent from my C6916 using XDA Free mobile app
    You know what guys? We should all download the image for the nexus 5, make it into a flashable for the nexus 4 by changing 1-2 things in the updater script, post something like "done porting, will test in a bit". Then post "damn, bootloop". Later, something like "Ok, that didn't work. I'll try this tool. I hope it will boot now", etc...

Really, there are a few people claiming to be devs and getting hopes up like this. The guy says "bootloop", "no logcat"... Bootloop?? No logcat? Wow, that's something new. I don't remember seeing anything about that like 10 pages ago. You are the first to get to that point. Awesome!

What's more funny is that people are giving them a hell of thanks and are all like "Wow! Great job man! Keep it up. We believe in you!"...

I'm apologizing in advance in case you find this offensive but this one person posts "porting finished now testing" when he hasn't even flashed the package yet and he gets 34 thanks points which makes it to the top of the thread, above the people who are actually working on a port and have done numerous tests. Well, we can imagine that this person is a super developer who is super confident that his port will work and doesn't need any actual testing in order to say that he has "finished" porting. However, just after a single post he says "not even sure its booting", "Zipping now", "Rebooted hope it boots". Just, what the hell?

Now, do you see any actual devs going around the thread posting their every single status update? Do they do that? They don't, right?

I just hope these people are just posting out of pure excitement and have no intention of making use of this chance to fill their thanks meter up for no price.
    LPV79-mako-test33

alright guys here is test 33, I'll let you guys mirror it. Tomorrow I will set up the development thread, hopefully you guys can work through of the bugs while I sleep
    http://www.firedrive.com/file/CDA508B72AF19584

Dev-host mirror http://d-h.st/n0R
    Mega link https://mega.co.nz/#!P0o2xABR!UoRLsTmPlYyroC1JwnvsyVHWoWdxciwNALdqQRViFw4

thanks @Cheesethief for the dev-host mirror and mega.

google link was hit too much and dead now, thanks for the firedrive mirror @hardrockk

FIRST BOOT TAKES ABOUT 20 MINS, wipe your dalvik-cache also since it is a new runtime

I don't even know what will be working and not, defconoi was doing the testing and debugging while I was working on it so not exactly sure yet and as @percy_g2 pointed out there was missing vendor files that were for camera and bluetooth so they might be working.

Dalvik-cache is working now and was a big step in towards getting the package manager to instal but it isn't yet. It is set to selinux permissive at boot now too and strict policy was turned off which will have it booting fast

@percy_g2 pm'ed the none gapp version to you for you to help on debugging
    porting finished now testing :D