FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[DIY] Manually installing Xposed framework on 4.3 release + leak

293 posts
Thanks Meter: 87

By lopezk38, Senior Member on 19th July 2013, 07:31 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I had trouble installing the Xposed framework on the 4.3 leak with the app, so I looked through the source code for it and installed it manually. This will be a guide to help anyone who wants to get the framework on 4.3 and the Xposed framework app will not install it.
This should work on any 4.3 device, such as our Nexus 4 or the GPE devices
EDIT: Still works on release 4.3 (JWR66V)

What you will need

1) The Xposed framework installer app (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1574401)

2) A root file explorer of your choice (Solid explorer was not working for me for some reason, so I used ES File Explorer)

3) Root (4.3 root by Chainfire floating around the forums)

4) BusyBox (If you have root, you probably already have it, if not https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ricson.busybox)

*Optional* If your file explorer does not show you any numbers when setting permissions (ES does not), google "CHMOD calculator"

Steps
1) Download the Xposed installer on your phone and install it

2) Navigate to the directory you downloaded the Xposed installer to in your file explorer

3) Rename the installer from "XposedInstaller_x.x.x.apk" to "XposedInstaller_x.x.x.zip"

4) Open the file you renamed, and it should open like any other zip file. Navigate to /assets/armv7-a

5) Copy app_process_xposed_sdk17 to internal memory

6) Open the file again, navigate to /assets/

7) Copy XposedBridge.jar to internal memory

8) Close the .zip, rename .zip back to .apk, we are done pulling files from the app now

9) Go to your internal memory and rename "app_process_xposed_sdk17" to "app_process"

10) Mount /system as read/write if your file explorer does not automatically do so (ES does not do it automatically, Solid Explorer does)

11) Navigate to root, then /system/bin/

12) Rename "app_process" to "app_process.orig"

13) Copy app_process from your internal memory, and paste it in /system/bin/ (So that it replaces the file you just renamed)

14) Long press app_process, click on properties, and change the file permissions to 755 (This is where the CHMOD calculator comes in handy)

15) Change the file Owner and Group of app_process to "root" and "shell" respectively (Also in properties)

16) Go to /data/ and make a folder called xposed

17) Long press the folder, hit properties and set the permissions for the folder to 755

18) While in properties, set the Owner and Group of the folder to "root" and "shell" respectively

19) Go back to where you copied XposedBridge.jar in step 7 and copy it to /data/xposed/

20) Long press it, click on properties, then set the permissions to 644

21) Stay in properties and set Owner and Group to "root" and "shell" respectively

22) Open the installer app, then open Terminal Emulator

23) Type in
Code:
ps
I recommend holding the phone sideways for this

24) Look for de.robv.android.xposed.installer on the right side. Once you find it, write down the first 6 characters of that line (Should be something like u0_a[number][number]) If it doesn't look like that, check the line directly above.
We will call this "$6char"

25) Open the file explorer again, and go to /data/xposed/

26) Make 2 files, name one
Code:
modules.list
and the other
Code:
modules.whitelist
27) Long press on modules.list, hit properties, set the permissions to 644, and change Owner and Group to "$6char" and "shell" respectively

28) Long press on modules.whitelist, hit properties, set the permissions to 644, and change Owner and Group to "$6char" and "shell" respectively

29) Reboot

30) Open the Xposed installer and check if it sees the install. If so, it should be working. Done!
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to lopezk38 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lopezk38 Ad-Free
24th July 2013, 09:42 PM |#2  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 518

More
Subscribing to the topic because I want to find out when the original framework gets modified to install properly on 4.3

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
26th July 2013, 10:43 PM |#3  
Flag Kansas City
Thanks Meter: 71

Donate to Me
More
Installed? Yes. Working? I can't say. Well, I can say that it isn't working the a Hack Connectivity 1.2 thing I use for tethering my tablet to my laptop. It does show that the framework is installed, but there may be more to be done.
28th July 2013, 06:19 PM |#4  
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Halifax
Thanks Meter: 30,821

Donate to Me
More
Great work but this is still the SDK17 (JB4.2.2) version of things. Tungstwenty posted updated compiles for SDK18 (JB4.3) last Thursday with a link to a simpler manual install procedure:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=2249

I then automated that in a flashable zip:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=2308

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th July 2013, 04:29 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 87

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsp4774

Installed? Yes. Working? I can't say. Well, I can say that it isn't working the a Hack Connectivity 1.2 thing I use for tethering my tablet to my laptop. It does show that the framework is installed, but there may be more to be done.

Some modules don't play nice with SDK 18, most do in my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osm0sis

Great work but this is still the SDK17 (JB4.2.2) version of things. Tungstwenty posted updated compiles for SDK18 (JB4.3) last Thursday with a link to a simpler manual install procedure:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=2249

I then automated that in a flashable zip:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=2308

Nice!
17th August 2013, 03:58 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 75

More
Working fine, although I didn't have to install it on the app, and if I tried, the same error would pop up, but it shows that app_process is 34 and XposedBridge.jar is 2.1.4, but no errors at all.
19th August 2013, 08:34 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I've been a lurker on XDA for 3+ years now, but this post finally compelled me to register an account.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS. I thought I was going to have to go back to 4.2.2 or use the default icons. You saved my phone from being an antique/hideous.

24th August 2013, 03:02 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Question
Hey guys,

i tried these steps but i get this tooltip: cannot write /data/xposed/modules.whitelist :/

Hope you guys can help me. I am on PA 3.99 Nexus4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-08-24 12.56.50.jpg
Views:	1024
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	2210376  
24th August 2013, 03:23 PM |#9  
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 155

More
I'm getting the same error - n4 with latest cm12 nightly (23rd Aug build) :'(

Sent from my Oric-1 micro
24th August 2013, 03:24 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 384

More
Does not work on my HTC One S with odessey rom (jb 4.3). I tried several times, but it always stocks on boot screen. So if anyone - maybe with an HTC device - has got this working and has any suggestion, please let me know.
24th August 2013, 10:21 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 210

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC_HDD

Hey guys,

i tried these steps but i get this tooltip: cannot write /data/xposed/modules.whitelist :/

Hope you guys can help me. I am on PA 3.99 Nexus4.

I see some things wrong:
You don't have the .jar installed

If it complains about the whitelist file, try running:
Touch /data/closed/modules.whitelist

Then change the permissions to match what the instructions said (755 and root:root )
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)