Factory image for N4 removed

Search This thread

me_max

Feb 26, 2012
Yesterday, I played around with my N4 and installed some Custom ROMs. I decided to go back to
stock ROM and only found a 404-Error for the factory images on the official Google site.

Today, I wanted to check, whether the link is fixed. To my surprise, Google completely removed the
the factory image for N4. Not a single word about it. Look here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Anyone got a clue, why?

Update:

• As usual, JBQ from Google couldn't comment on the issue.

Last edited:

titooo7

Sep 29, 2010
London
The question is... will they inform the reason why it has been removed? Or they also will will keep silence with this?

immunityx

Dec 24, 2008
maybe update coming they did this when 4.2.1 came out they remove the 4.2 image

me_max

Feb 26, 2012
Can upload it if required...
Very kind :good:. But I already got it from a mirror.

I believe there will be an update, too. If they remove and stop offering
prior versions due to an update, the prior version should have had some
grave bugs (e.g., missing december). I cannot spot any serious bugs
in the 4.2.1 release, though.

CrazyPeter

Sep 1, 2010
It's removed likely because it contains LTE code and it's not a LTE certified device.. Removing it is legally the correct thing to do, and then when they are ready, replace it with a version that better locks out the LTE functionality.

Reactions: shotta35

cocchiararo

Sep 11, 2007
Escobar
Very kind :good:. But I already got it from a mirror.

I believe there will be an update, too. If they remove and stop offering
prior versions due to an update, the prior version should have had some
grave bugs (e.g., missing december). I cannot spot any serious bugs
in the 4.2.1 release, though.

do you mind sharing the mirror ? i want to keep it safe XD

kzoodroid

Jun 27, 2010
Kalamazoo
It's removed likely because it contains LTE code and it's not a LTE certified device.. Removing it is legally the correct thing to do, and then when they are ready, replace it with a version that better locks out the LTE functionality.

It has nothing to do with LTE code. The band 4 LTE functionality is built into the LTE chip on the Qualcomm board and has nothing to do with android. Anyways Google has license agreements to include LTE in android as it needs it for AT&T and Verizon phones. It wasn't because of these licenses they excluded LTE from the Nexus it had more to do with Verizon being a pain in the ass to deal with not to mention the added costs of having to add a CDMA chip to the device. It was just easier to go with GSM for now and include LTE in the Nexus 5 next year when more carriers actually have it.

Last edited:

immunityx

Dec 24, 2008
2 Reasons..

There was a bug in the 4.2.1 image that didn't allow OTA updates to apply.

4.2.2 on the way

shotta35

Nov 30, 2008
NYC & Germany
It has nothing to do with LTE code. The band 4 LTE functionality is built into the LTE chip on the Qualcomm board and has nothing to do with android. Anyways Google has license agreements to include LTE in android as it needs it for AT&T and Verizon phones. It wasn't because of these licenses they excluded LTE from the Nexus it had more to do with Verizon being a pain in the ass to deal with not to mention the added costs of having to add a CDMA chip to the device. It was just easier to go with GSM for now and include LTE in the Nexus 5 next year when more carriers actually have it.

Has nothing to do with LTE. licensing is paid when LG decides to use the SoC

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Doesn't work that way, the FCC has to certify the device for LTE operation. You can't just grab some parts and start broadcasting in certain frequencies without a license and CERTIFICATION. The Nexus 4 is NOT a LTE certified device and therefore operating as such is illegal (at least in the USA).

Check out the certifications for any phone on FCC.gov and you'll see certs for WIFI, GSM, UMTS and LTE seperately if they have all of them. GSM in 850mhz can be fine but UMTS in the same frequency is all screwed up and causing interference which is bad and therefore the device wouldn't be certified for the USA (via FCC).

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...rame=N&application_id=278241&fcc_id='ZNFE960' - Check the FCC Test Report - It only shows, GSM, WCDMA, WIFI, BT, NFC.

Here you can see the AT&T LTE Samsung SGS3

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...ame=N&application_id=895441&fcc_id=a3lsphl710 - Look at the SAR testing which clearly shows LTE being tested

While I don't that's why they removed them, i'd say it's a good guess.

EDIT- If you are still not convinced here's the LG Optimus G for AT&T w/LTE

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...Frame=N&application_id=214715&fcc_id='ZNFE970'

Mentions LTE in the report (click Test Report) since it was tested for and certified for LTE.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts