But now, it's possible to receive free phone calls with "ReachMe Roaming."
1. Go to Vonage Mobile app>settings and choose "ReachMe Roaming"
2. Do NOT check "Inbound calls to xxx-xxx-xxxx will be received on Vonage Mobile."
3. Click "More ways to ..."
4. Write down the Vonage assigned new incoming 10-digit DID number.
5. Add this number as one of your GV forwarding numbers. It may take a while for GV to verify this number. It took me several tries.
Now you can make free WIFI GV incoming/outgoing calls.
1. This is irrelevant to gtalk XMPP shutdown.
2. Vonage app uses GCM so very little battery drain.
3. Vonage app uses a better audio codec than other VOIP apps so the call is crystal clear especially over WIFI. The only issue I have on 3G is while driving on highway (cell tower switching).
4. ReachMe Roaming is not permanent. Once activated, it lasts for 14 days. After 14 days, you get a notification to renew (keep the same #).
5. If GV forwards incoming calls to both Tmo and Vonage numbers, then Vonage app will ring first and Tmo phone will ring 1 second later. Unfortunately, you can't decline Tmo phone to answer in Vonage. In my case, I only set GV forwarding to Vonage.
6. This free calling will expire in 9/4/2014. I hope Hangouts will be able to do regular phone calling before then.