FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Free GV incoming/outgoing calls using Vonage Mobile App

776 posts
Thanks Meter: 221

By acegolfer, Senior Member on 18th May 2014, 03:23 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Vonage Mobile app has allowed android users to make free phone calls using GV number as CID. However, it didn't allow us to receive regular phone calls, which was a big drawback of this app.

But now, it's possible to receive free phone calls with "ReachMe Roaming."

1. Go to Vonage Mobile app>settings and choose "ReachMe Roaming"
2. Do NOT check "Inbound calls to xxx-xxx-xxxx will be received on Vonage Mobile."
3. Click "More ways to ..."
4. Write down the Vonage assigned new incoming 10-digit DID number.
5. Add this number as one of your GV forwarding numbers. It may take a while for GV to verify this number. It took me several tries.

Now you can make free WIFI GV incoming/outgoing calls.

Notes:
1. This is irrelevant to gtalk XMPP shutdown.
2. Vonage app uses GCM so very little battery drain.
3. Vonage app uses a better audio codec than other VOIP apps so the call is crystal clear especially over WIFI. The only issue I have on 3G is while driving on highway (cell tower switching).
4. ReachMe Roaming is not permanent. Once activated, it lasts for 14 days. After 14 days, you get a notification to renew (keep the same #).
5. If GV forwards incoming calls to both Tmo and Vonage numbers, then Vonage app will ring first and Tmo phone will ring 1 second later. Unfortunately, you can't decline Tmo phone to answer in Vonage. In my case, I only set GV forwarding to Vonage.
6. This free calling will expire in 9/4/2014. I hope Hangouts will be able to do regular phone calling before then.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to acegolfer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift acegolfer Ad-Free
18th May 2014, 05:12 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 176

More
This works perfectly. And if I don't pick up in time, callers are greeted to my Google voice greeting. Same for not accepting a call. I did not need to set anything up in Google voice, other than to forward my incoming calls to the number in the Vonage app.
18th May 2014, 08:25 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 568

More
ReachMe seems to deactivate automatically after 2 weeks at which time I assume you get a different Vonage DID if you re-activate it? I doubt they assign you a permanent number and still it would be a pain to remember to re-activate every 2 weeks.
18th May 2014, 12:21 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirxdroid

ReachMe seems to deactivate automatically after 2 weeks at which time I assume you get a different Vonage DID if you re-activate it? I doubt they assign you a permanent number and still it would be a pain to remember to re-activate every 2 weeks.

I think you are right. This is not the perfect solution. But with gtalk xmpp shutdown, unfortunately the choices to use GV number to make free incoming/outgoing WiFi calls are very limited.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
18th May 2014, 03:45 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 94

More
I'm still able to make and receive calls via groove ip

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
18th May 2014, 05:17 PM |#6  
Flag Los Angeles County, California
Thanks Meter: 4

More
For Wi-Fi only!? How about on mobile data? Do you miss incoming calls and/or have poor voice quality and/or drop calls when driving on highway and using Vonage Mobile app?
18th May 2014, 05:31 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 568

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoktrillian

For Wi-Fi only!? How about on mobile data? Do you miss incoming calls and/or have poor voice quality and/or drop calls when driving on highway and using Vonage Mobile app?

I don't think mobile data works well for VOIP when in motion, no matter the app. If you stay still then it can be usable depending on the signal and the connection type (3G, LTE).
27th May 2014, 02:04 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 51

More
Thanks for the tip. Just a reminder that incoming calls only work when connected to wifi. I received the confirmation call from Google Voice to activate the #, but the system did not register the confirmation code I typed into the dialer initially. When tried again via a WiFi connection, everything was resolved

Edit: Also, one other reminder (that in retrospect is obvious but is easy to overlook) is that you need to deactivate the call forwarding to your T-Mo # when you add your ReachMe roaming #... If not, the ReachMe Roaming fights with the Native App to answer the call and glitches ensue
27th May 2014, 03:35 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 176

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by macallik

Thanks for the tip. Just a reminder that incoming calls only work when connected to wifi. I received the confirmation call from Google Voice to activate the #, but the system did not register the confirmation code I typed into the dialer initially. When tried again via a WiFi connection, everything was resolved

Edit: Also, one other reminder (that in retrospect is obvious but is easy to overlook) is that you need to deactivate the call forwarding to your T-Mo # when you add your ReachMe roaming #... If not, the ReachMe Roaming fights with the Native App to answer the call and glitches ensue

I receive incoming calls via the app, even on mobile data. I'm not sure if there is a rule about connection (must be on LTE/hspa/3g, but not edge). WiFi is not required, at least not in my experience.
27th May 2014, 05:18 AM |#10  
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokuzumi

I receive incoming calls via the app, even on mobile data. I'm not sure if there is a rule about connection (must be on LTE/hspa/3g, but not edge). WiFi is not required, at least not in my experience.

It will work, but unless you have a really strong 3G signal or better the call may drop, break up, or have a lot of echoing.
31st May 2014, 03:08 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More

Extending the roaming is really easy. I get a notification to renew and one click will do. Same number.

update: sorry for the huge picture size. Didn't know how big it was when I posted from Nexus 4.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)