FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

[GUIDE] Take Back Your Headset Controls!

629 posts
Thanks Meter: 353

By IAmAN00bie, Senior Member on 17th November 2012, 05:54 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
22nd November 2012, 12:49 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
OP updated with new instructions specific to the Nexus 4!

9th December 2012, 01:16 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 214

More
First off thanks to the OP. I can confirm that this works perfectly. Really don't understand why Google limited the click-and-hold functionality in the first place.

Despite this method working as expected, it is just tricking the Android system. Would it be possible for developers to actually remove the limitation itself from Jellybean. This would mean that you wouldn't need to inject files after each rom update etc.
15th December 2012, 07:47 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmAN00bie

I just received my Nexus 4 earlier today, and I saw that there were some changes done in the /system/usr/keylayout folder. I managed to fix the problem, and will update the OP with new pictures ASAP for those looking to fix the headset problem.

I had the same problem after the JB 4.2.1 upgrade. hs_detect.kl isn't there. The same modifications can be made to set_jack.kl (+ add the line as posted in the original).

This works just fine now!

However, I still can't launch utter (using headset button controller), since the shortcut found in utter main screen creates a shortcut to start listening on the homescreen. Every time I triple press, a shortcut is made to my homescreen.

How did you bind utter to listen?
The Following User Says Thank You to hvdt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hvdt Ad-Free
15th December 2012, 08:48 PM |#14  
Derby
Thanks Meter: 126

More
OP these are 2 the same images, please edit as some people will get confused

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

Ohh and also... how do you answer a call after changes? Ive tried headset Droid and Headset Button Controller and none of the settings allows me to answer call
The Following User Says Thank You to MattSkeet For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MattSkeet Ad-Free
15th December 2012, 11:49 PM |#15  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSkeet

OP these are 2 the same images, please edit as some people will get confused

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

Ohh and also... how do you answer a call after changes? Ive tried headset Droid and Headset Button Controller and none of the settings allows me to answer call

Oops, didn't catch that! I'll update it when I get done with my finals today ;_;. Did you configure the Right button aka the media next button in headset droid? Remember the configuration changed when you did the mod!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
16th December 2012, 12:14 AM |#16  
Derby
Thanks Meter: 126

More
Quote:

Oops, didn't catch that! I'll update it when I get done with my finals today ;_;. Did you configure the Right button aka the media next button in headset droid? Remember the configuration changed when you did the mod!

Yeah I did. Set the right button in the right way and also disabled all other buttons . I can change volume skip tracks play pause but unable to answer calls even tho it is set up

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
16th December 2012, 06:23 AM |#17  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSkeet

Yeah I did. Set the right button in the right way and also disabled all other buttons . I can change volume skip tracks play pause but unable to answer calls even tho it is set up

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

I never actually used the answer calls feature, as I don't have an inline mic. I'll try to see what's up though.

17th December 2012, 04:52 AM |#18  
OP Senior Member

More
Quick update, fixed the OP links. Sorry if I caused anyone confusion. I hope somebody finds this guide useful!
20th December 2012, 08:37 PM |#19  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Hey Guys

I have a Galaxy Note 2 and followed the switching steps mentioned to switch.from the middle to right button.

However thiere is a problem that sometimes happens... the "long press" seems to over-ride the single press so that when I'm trying to click once to pause my music, a new song comes on.

The 2nd thing is that for some reason "click and hold" has no effect whats so ever (as I could have just used it instead of long click)

Curious if you guys have had these experiences.
20th December 2012, 10:29 PM |#20  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerwooger

Hey Guys

I have a Galaxy Note 2 and followed the switching steps mentioned to switch.from the middle to right button.

However thiere is a problem that sometimes happens... the "long press" seems to over-ride the single press so that when I'm trying to click once to pause my music, a new song comes on.

The 2nd thing is that for some reason "click and hold" has no effect whats so ever (as I could have just used it instead of long click)

Curious if you guys have had these experiences.

What app are you using to control your clicks?
21st December 2012, 08:06 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:

What app are you using to control your clicks?

Headset Button Controller. Until the other ones will be using the profiles (which I constantly use) I don't see a huge reason in switching.

Just now the same thing happened where when I pressed the button one time, it thought I was "long clicking" but seemed to go back to normal as soon as I clicked on the :Key Test app. though for some reason the forward long click command did not work inside there.

I have no idea why this is happening as I have the headset button control app running to prevent sleep mode. The speed is medium though this same problem has been happening with other speeds.

Secondly, are you guys sure there isn't some sort of a file in the .kl that can be replaced so that Google Search won't bother the Middle button? It's kind of rude for them to designate the long click of the middle button for themselves like that in Jelly Bean.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
control, fix, guide, headset, voicesearch

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)