Nexus 4 EMMC storage upgrade

Search This thread

echow2001

Jul 14, 2015
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
im trying to upgrade my n4 storage from measly 8g to 32 and have 2 questions
what is best way to dump old storage?
after unbrick it from 9008 mode how to resize part to fill 32GBs?
thanks in advance and i will be sure to update on how the project goes.

removing the mmc flash is fairly easy if you have microscope and experience working with BGA chip on phones. there is no underfill and the SIM slot is on under side of mmc so its not sensitive. will get some pictures uploaded

Last edited:

nameless--

Aug 23, 2012
Kanto
Hey! Great to see this kind of mod interest! I was thinking in doing the same with mine, which is 16Gb, it would be similar to this other mod on a Nexus 5:
https://www.xda-developers.com/nexus-5-hardware-modded-to-64gb-internal-storage-by-replacing-emmc/

In order for it achieve the 32Gb size you would need to modify the PrimaryGPT.mbn, with a hex editor, and find the section about the userdata size and modify to the new size in hex.

On the original Nexus 5 mod thread the guy left some anotations of the process about how he sorted out where the userdata parition begins and where it ends, so he could "stretch" it to the 64Gb, maybe you could start there and use some info to sort it out too, I've tried to do the mod on a nexus 5 I had laying aroud and could sort how he moded the PrimaryGPT.mbn, but since I didnt had the new EMMC chip at the time I didnt carried on the mod and forgot how to get there, maybe I'll give a second try...

Post your advancements on this one, I'm really interested!

Ps.: I'm trying to do some sort of "blackphone" out of this nexus 4, removed the sensors, GSM antenas, GPS, Gyro, compass, NFC, Mics and all the communications way besides wifi, I'm just trying to figure out how to criptograph every communication it have with the internet in order do start using it, maybe a upgrade on the memory would be a good addon on this one, since I'll start using it to secure some files :)

echow2001

Jul 14, 2015
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Hey! Great to see this kind of mod interest! I was thinking in doing the same with mine, which is 16Gb, it would be similar to this other mod on a Nexus 5:
https://www.xda-developers.com/nexus-5-hardware-modded-to-64gb-internal-storage-by-replacing-emmc/

In order for it achieve the 32Gb size you would need to modify the PrimaryGPT.mbn, with a hex editor, and find the section about the userdata size and modify to the new size in hex.

On the original Nexus 5 mod thread the guy left some anotations of the process about how he sorted out where the userdata parition begins and where it ends, so he could "stretch" it to the 64Gb, maybe you could start there and use some info to sort it out too, I've tried to do the mod on a nexus 5 I had laying aroud and could sort how he moded the PrimaryGPT.mbn, but since I didnt had the new EMMC chip at the time I didnt carried on the mod and forgot how to get there, maybe I'll give a second try...

Ps.: I'm trying to do some sort of "blackphone" out of this nexus 4, removed the sensors, GSM antenas, GPS, Gyro, compass, NFC, Mics and all the communications way besides wifi, I'm just trying to figure out how to criptograph every communication it have with the internet in order do start using it, maybe a upgrade on the memory would be a good addon on this one, since I'll start using it to secure some files :)
Welp I successfully upgrade from 8 to 16 and unbricking worked and I now just have to dump EFS from old chip and it will be complete.

Reactions: bam80

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Welp I successfully upgrade from 8 to 16 and unbricking worked and I now just have to dump EFS from old chip and it will be complete.