[FIX][ROOT REQUIRED] Insufficient storage error on app update/install in play store

Search This thread

norfolkpastor

Oct 25, 2014
Tab2 10.1" running CM4.4.4

Worked for me. Was having the same issue. Put Jrummy's Root Browser to get to the /data folder and all is good. Still recommend doing a back-up if you're a newbie to root. Thanks for the solution.

dewjam

Jan 12, 2014
Villeneuve sur lot
I can't download any applications from google store

For those getting an insufficient storage error in the Google play store or when side loading, which only affects specific apps (not all apps, which has been discussed elsewhere) the following may work for you.

The error is caused by application data folders, which you will have to delete and then reinstall the app. Steps to fix are below:

1) Uninstall the app in the app manager

2) Using your favorite file explorer with root access navigate to /Data/app-lib/

3) Find the folder, which corresponds to the package you have having issues with (for instance com.adobe.reader-1 for adobe reader) and delete it

4) Reinstall from the android market

5) OPTIONAL - restore backup of your data from titanium backup.

Hopefully this will prevent you needing to reflash the ROM and format storage, which i was about to do before rooting around in the app-lib folder and noticing the folders for uninstalled apps that I could not re-install were still there.

hi,I can't download any applications from google ,despite deleting the package,and no update also !!!
can you help me please

ronen80

Dec 12, 2012
Hi all,
I just followed the process of deleting the application folder form the data/app-lib directory without uninstalling the app and it worked well and i didn't lose any data on apps (whatsapp history is very important for me and it kept it)
Just wanted to let you know,
of course i'm not to be held responsible for your loss in any case and i strongly advice to anyone to make a titianium backup before tampering with system files.
Also, make sure that you have Esfile explorer set on root mode ON in it's settings so you can reach to those root folders.

Hope i helped someone with this

Takisxx

Sep 13, 2009
For those getting an insufficient storage error in the Google play store or when side loading, which only affects specific apps (not all apps, which has been discussed elsewhere) the following may work for you.

The error is caused by application data folders, which you will have to delete and then reinstall the app. Steps to fix are below:

2) Using your favorite file explorer with root access navigate to /Data/app-lib/

3) Find the folder, which corresponds to the package you have having issues with (for instance com.adobe.reader-1 for adobe reader) and delete it

Hopefully this will prevent you needing to reflash the ROM and format storage, which i was about to do before rooting around in the app-lib folder and noticing the folders for uninstalled apps that I could not re-install were still there.

my data lib folder is empty... is this right?

samikiara

Aug 24, 2018
my Oppo f5 has internal storage of 32 GB I have currently used around 2.5gb,
from my phone it indicates that free storage is 28gb but unfortunately I get an error saying I have insufficient storage,
I have cleaned the cache severally, rebooted uninstalled apps and reinstalling yet I get same results, Does it mean that my phone storage is around 3GB was i tricked when i was buying it?????
kindly help me out

TNSMANI

Senior Moderator / RC-RT Committee
Staff member
Jan 8, 2014
Chennai
OnePlus 9 Pro
my Oppo f5 has internal storage of 32 GB I have currently used around 2.5gb,
from my phone it indicates that free storage is 28gb but unfortunately I get an error saying I have insufficient storage,
I have cleaned the cache severally, rebooted uninstalled apps and reinstalling yet I get same results, Does it mean that my phone storage is around 3GB was i tricked when i was buying it?????
kindly help me out
First of all, this is not the Oppo forum.

This may mean that your system partition is almost full. This is different from your data partition where you will have the major portion of storage. System partitions are usually 1 to 3 GB only.

If this is the case, the solution is to uninstall some system apps like Gmail, Chrome etc which are available from the PlayStore. This will create space in the system folder. Afterwards, you can download and install these apps from PlayStore and they will not go back into the system partition.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The real problem is a permissions issue. There's a more elegant solution which doesn't involve deleting a folder nor deinstalling an app.

a) With your favorite terminal program navigate to /data/app-lib (/data, not /Data, case is very important). I do this from my Linux box, accessing the phone remotely with the help of SSHDroid.
    b) Then, do an "ls -la" to see the files inside this directory along with their permissions. In my case, I see this:
    Code:
    /data/data/berserker.android.apps.sshdroid/home # cd /data/app-lib
    /data/app-lib # ls -la
    total 1089
    drwxrwx--x  135 system   system        8192 Mar 26 17:11 .
    drwxrwx--x   25 system   system        4096 Mar 26 22:55 ..
    drwxr-xr-x    2 system   system        4096 Feb 18 17:28 ND.filter-1
    drwxr-xr-x    2 system   system        4096 Mar  4 17:20 aolmo.WifiCrackWLAN-1
    drwxr-xr-x    2 system   system        4096 Mar 26 08:06 at.sapps.applauncherdashclockextension-1
    drwxr-xr-x    2 system   system        4096 Feb 26 19:18 berserker.android.apps.ftpdroid-1
    drwxr-xr-x    2 system   system        4096 Mar 10 08:25 berserker.android.apps.sshdroid-1
    drwxr-xr-x    2 system   system        4096 Mar 10 08:26 berserker.android.apps.webdroid-1
    drwxr-xr-x    2 system   system        4096 Mar 21 22:55 pl.baggus.barometr-1
    drwxr-xr-x    2 system   system        4096 Mar 16 21:08 robj.any.dash-1
    drwxr-xr-x    2 system   system        4096 Mar  8 16:21 ru.gloom.SMSExtension-1
    drwxr-xr-x    2 system   system        4096 Mar  2 19:10 stericson.busybox-2

As you can see, every folder belongs to system:system and has the "drwxr-xr-x" permissions. If, for whatever reason, the folder corresponding to the non-working app looked different, the fix is easy:
    1) If it had a different user or group, run this command:
    Code:
    chown -R system:system [I]name.of.the.folder[/I]
    2) If it had different permissions, run this command:
    Code:
    chmod -R 755 [I]name.of.the.folder[/I]

That's it!

Of course, if the problem lies inside a folder other than /data/app-lib, just navigate to the corresponding folder :p

Many thanks , cause i,ve tried everyhting, lucky patcher, clear devil-cache, system-cache, clear market , everything, but this solutions was the only one that works. Now i can install the app
    Also...

MOD EDIT @gregbradley
    XDA RULES
    6. Do not post or request warez.

If a piece of software requires you to pay to use it, then pay for it. We do not accept warez nor do we permit members to request, post, promote or describe ways in which warez, cracks, serial codes or other means of avoiding payment, can be obtained or used. This is a site of developers, i.e. the sort of people who create such software. When you cheat a software developer, you cheat us as a community.
    Just clear data

None of the above worked for me. I saw on another site to go in the App Manager (Settings > Apps) and "clear data" for the troubled app(s). This worked for me.