FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Did I break my camera after screen replacement?

58 posts
Thanks Meter: 16

By Un Loko, Member on 18th July 2014, 10:33 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey there

Yesterday I replaced my screen + digitizer with a non-OEM screen (don't do this! not worth it at all! use OEM with it's hard glass). The repair was easy and accident-less. Absolutely everything works now except for the camera and its flash, with errors "Can't connect to camera" and a crash of the flashlight app respectively.

After googling about it, I've tried these solutions: soft reboot, bootloader reset, deleting camera app data, re-updating camera app, safe mode boot, uninstalling flashlight app and Nova Launcher.

After none of these worked at all, I teared my phone apart again to clean the connections with some ISO alcohol and cotton swabs. Didn't work. The only thing I've haven't tried is factory reset.

I may try the factory reset and use the opportuninty to flash Android L if there's no other solution suggested here.

ps: phone is really easy to repair.

edit2: bug report:

screenshot of error (taken by bugreport)

log

edit: here are some pics I took of the camera

19th July 2014, 09:12 PM |#2  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 99

More
Sounds like it. You exhausted all other options so something must've happened during the repair.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to CalculatedRisk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CalculatedRisk Ad-Free
20th July 2014, 04:17 PM |#3  
Flag Biella
Thanks Meter: 41

More
those connectors are really fragile, they might just have bended in a weird way for some reason. I once replaced a display on a nexus 5 which then wouldn't boot because the battery connector was forming an angle too steep.
The Following User Says Thank You to crashDebug For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift crashDebug Ad-Free
26th July 2014, 09:49 PM |#4  
OP Member
Flag Santiago

More
thanks both for the answer,

my only doubt is that I cannot connect to neither of the cameras.

Anyway as there is no other solution I'll try what I said and will update my results.
29th July 2014, 02:40 AM |#5  
OP Member
Flag Santiago

More
Unhappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcakes203

Sounds like it. You exhausted all other options so something must've happened during the repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashDebug

those connectors are really fragile, they might just have bended in a weird way for some reason. I once replaced a display on a nexus 5 which then wouldn't boot because the battery connector was forming an angle too steep.

Update:

I did a factory reset and it didn't work. The camera icon isn't present and when accessing it through the lockscreen it still can't connect.

There's more. I downloaded this app, Z - Device Test, to try to test the front camera.
The app indicates that there's no back nor front camera and no flash light.

It is very possible that the camera's flex cable was damaged by folding, but would that disconnect those other two components?
29th July 2014, 04:30 AM |#6  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 99

More
Hmm. I'm not sure if the front camera or flashlight are connected through the same ribbon cable, but I'm pretty sure they're not. That being said, maybe the software is coded so that if there is a hardware failure in one of the softwares functions (ie. front camera, rear camera, flashlight) than regardless of whether or not the rest of the components are functioning, the software will refuse to run. In your case, only the rear camera is possibly damaged, but the software refuses to run because one of its features are missing, even though the other 2 are perfectly fine. This may be completely wrong, I'm not an expert, but this is just what I think.

The Following User Says Thank You to CalculatedRisk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CalculatedRisk Ad-Free
29th July 2014, 04:35 AM |#7  
OP Member
Flag Santiago

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcakes203

Hmm. I'm not sure if the front camera or flashlight are connected through the same ribbon cable, but I'm pretty sure they're not. That being said, maybe the software is coded so that if there is a hardware failure in one of the softwares functions (ie. front camera, rear camera, flashlight) than regardless of whether or not the rest of the components are functioning, the software will refuse to run. In your case, only the rear camera is possibly damaged, but the software refuses to run because one of its features are missing, even though the other 2 are perfectly fine. This may be completely wrong, I'm not an expert, but this is just what I think.

Thanks!

Yeah I think I'll risk buying a replacement camera, after all is only $8.

I hope it is what you said. The camera is very possibly broken because the cable was folded, if you look at my second pic of the OP, the "6" printed has a folding line through it.

Anyway I'm now taking advantage of my factory reset to flash Android L so that's cool... (I wasn't even rooted)
edit: Android L is nice!
The Following User Says Thank You to Un Loko For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Un Loko Ad-Free
29th July 2014, 06:50 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Since both cameras are now dead and they were both working before I think it's far more likely you damaged the motherboard, seen it all the time on iphones.
29th August 2014, 03:37 AM |#9  
OP Member
Flag Santiago

More
Update:

I have installed a new camera and it doesn't work....

I'm now rooted with L Preview so I used CatLog to look for the error, I've found this related to the camera:

Code:
E/CameraService(192): CameraService::connect X (pid 10225) rejected (invalid cameraId 0).

W/CAM_CameraActivity(10225): Camera open failure: HIST_ID0_-1_1_HEND

W/CameraBase(10225): An error occurred while connecting to camera: 0
13th June 2017, 05:24 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Did you ever get this solved? I recently replaced the screen with digitizer on my n5x and the cameras do not work now...
27th February 2018, 02:20 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomah

Did you ever get this solved? I recently replaced the screen with digitizer on my n5x and the cameras do not work now...

did you figure anything out? i'm having the same issue.

mine is a nexus 5x though
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
broken, camera, can't connect, lcd, screen replacement

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)