Thanks Meter: 7

By seekertbs, Senior Member on 17th November 2013, 03:07 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

17th November 2013, 03:10 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
Guys. I tried to chance my launcher to kit kat version. I took that apk from the Android police site. I have updated the google search APP too but i can't find a way to Put the new launcher as default. Every once in a while it keeps asking for me to choose the default launcher. And even if i press ALWAYS...same thing happens some time later. I have noticed that it resets the default launcher every time i use the google now. The same thing happens if i use nova beta launcher. What is wrong?? Any clues??
17th November 2013, 05:12 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I'm having this same issue, and I noticed it a while ago.

I'm on a Nexus 4

Before, I was running CarbonROM and noticed that my set default launcher (Nova Prime) wasn't sticking. I updated to Google Search 3.1.8 (the kitkat one) and found that whenever I accessed Google Now via swiping up, and then pressed the Home button, my phone would ask me to pick a default launcher again.

Last night, I did a totally clean install of the Nexus 4 Android 4.4 factory image, and downloaded/installed the GoogleHome.apk so I could use the new launcher. Same deal, my phone would randomly ask me if I want to use the default Launcher (the stock 4.3 one that came with the 4.4 factory image), or the new GEL. I've also tested it with Nova Prime and Nova beta and both versions refused to stick as the default one.

EDIT: figured it out, at least for my situation. it looks like I had an app installed that thought it could act as a launcher. On Android 4.4, under my "Home" settings, it listed the app as a possible home screen option when, in fact, the app was not a launcher. I uninstalled it and now my phone no longer repeated asks for a new default
17th November 2013, 05:58 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Whats the name of the APP?

17th November 2013, 06:21 PM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekertbs

Whats the name of the APP?

Hertz247
17th November 2013, 06:38 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
This happens to me too. I have a Samsung S4 and I use nova launcher and it started when I installed the apk for the new version of google search. I had to go back to the previous version. Now with the google search update it's happening again. I tried to install the apk for the google experience launcher and if setting this as default the problem seems to occur only a few times. But I would like to be able to use google search and still have my nova launcher!
17th November 2013, 09:09 PM |#7  

More
Default launcher resets with latest Google Search/Google Now
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsubish

This happens to me too. I have a Samsung S4 and I use nova launcher and it started when I installed the apk for the new version of google search. I had to go back to the previous version. Now with the google search update it's happening again. I tried to install the apk for the google experience launcher and if setting this as default the problem seems to occur only a few times. But I would like to be able to use google search and still have my nova launcher!

I have a non-rooted S3 on Sprint running 4.1.2 (stock, obviously).

I found the same thing. I also changed to the GEL apk and found it to happen less, but mostly because Google Now is baked into the Launcher.

If I were to access Google Now from someplace else (like through the notification window), I find I cannot swipe to the left to bring up the home screen and hitting the home screen button brings me to the list of launchers.

Using GEL is better than when I was using Nova, but I, too, would rather use Nova. The only solution, so far, is to remove everything and just use TouchWiz, but that is not going to happen.

Anybody know where we can report this bug more officially?
17th November 2013, 09:20 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Found the problem here too. Same problemas Stated before. One APP that acts like a launcher. In my case was the cinemark APP. I'm in 4.3, so there isn;'t a home switcher on the settings. So i downloaded a APP from the play store called Launcher Switcher and saw that the cinemark APP was listed as a launcher. Uninstaled the app and the problem is gone

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to seekertbs For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift seekertbs Ad-Free
19th November 2013, 09:29 AM |#9  

More
Problem solved
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekertbs

Found the problem here too. Same problemas Stated before. One APP that acts like a launcher. In my case was the cinemark APP. I'm in 4.3, so there isn;'t a home switcher on the settings. So i downloaded a APP from the play store called Launcher Switcher and saw that the cinemark APP was listed as a launcher. Uninstaled the app and the problem is gone

Thank you so much! I had read this solution in another thread before but was not able to find out which app acted as a launcher (I have about 200 apps installed) and in any case it only ocurred after installing the update for Google search, never before (which didn't make sense to me unless it was google search itself!). But I installed Launcher Switcher and found out that I had another APP acting as a launcher (Lagoon Waves, actually a live wallpaper). I uninstalled it and voilĂ ! problem solved!
The Following User Says Thank You to mitsubish For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mitsubish Ad-Free
28th March 2014, 06:22 AM |#10  
Flag Pune

More
Swipe up removing launcher defaults
The swipe up to launch Google now removes launcher defaults thus the phone (am using Panasonic p51) asks to set a default launcher when I press home button. This resetting of launcher defaults happens only when there are more than one launchers installed and only if I use Google now by launching it by swipe up method. Anyone knows how to solve this issue.? I tried many launchers and the issue is only due to swiping up.
28th March 2014, 12:33 PM |#11  

More
I tried to install the apk for the google experience launcher and if setting this as default the problem seems to occur only a few times.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)