[Q] Some doubts with Google RMA Nexus 4 - RED LED issue, Nexus 4 dead.

Search This thread

D3m0x

Aug 9, 2012
Santo Domingo
First than nothing, sorry for my bad english.

My N4 got bricked, the problem seems to be the battery because when plug in to the AC charger the LED blinks red and nothing else happens, other members have the same problem.
There is few post about it
- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2050811
- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2011328
- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2048066
- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2077331

So after try everything my nexus 4 seems to be dead:(, I decide to RMA but I don't know some details, and maybe you can help me ;)

First, what I think I have to do:
I live out of USA, so I shipped my N4 to my cousin, he was who bought the N4, when he get my N4 then he will do the steps that Google tell him.

My doubt is:

1 - My bootloader is unlocked when my N4 start with the issue, perhaps Google can not turn on the device and be aware of it because the phone is fried, so if they can not detect that the bootloader is unlocked my RMA is free? (Assuming you have the bootloader unlocked means forfeiting RMA)

2- If they detect that my bootloader is unlocked, they will ignore this? Google will send me a replacement device? Although i going to be charged again (Assuming that Google is left with the charge of money they make to your account which remain in hold)

3- The replacement device is now yours? Or is just four use while Google check the original device?

4- How long take the whole process ?

So, this is all my questions by the moment, thank you and sorry for bad english, I used a little bit of Google Traductor.

Last edited:
Reactions: jesselmary

pa.pn2

My N4 got bricked, the problem seems to be the battery because when plug in to the AC charger the LED blinks red and nothing else happens, other members have the same problem.

So after try everything my nexus 4 seems to be dead:(, I decide to RMA but I don't know some details, and maybe you can help me ;)

I live out of USA, so I shipped my N4 to my cousin, he was who bought the N4, when he get my N4 then he will do the steps that Google tell him.

My doubt is:

1 - My bootloader is unlocked when my N4 start with the issue, perhaps Google can not turn on the device and be aware of it because the phone is fried, so if they can not detect that the bootloader is unlocked my RMA is free? (Assuming you have the bootloader unlocked means forfeiting RMA)

2- If they detect that my bootloader is unlocked, they will ignore this? Google will send me a replacement device? Although i going to be charged again (Assuming that Google is left with the charge of money they make to your account which remain in hold)

3- The replacement device is now yours? Or is just four use while Google check the original device?

So, this is all my questions by the moment, thank you and sorry for bad english, I used a little bit of Google Traductor.

1.you have to call google for an rma
2.in my case, the send me a new one, including an envelope and the freightpapers for the old one
3. they authorize 349 euro on your credit card, but they just authorize it,they dont take it
4.if you receive the new device, you have to send the old device back to them within 21 days, otherwise they will take the 349 euros from your credit card
5. pray that they cant turn it on and you are good to go and you dont have to pay for it
6. in betwen 14 days you can keep the new device, dont know how they handle it over 14 days sorry
hope i could clearify some things lol

Qin-Root

Oct 13, 2010
I live in Germany, had similar problems and doing the rma rightnow, too.

The replacement nexus 4 that you will get is yours. Until they checked your first nexus 4, they block the money for your replacement.
If your warranty isn't valid or the defect isn't covered by the warranty they will charge you for the replacement device.

Let's hope they cannot turn our devices on to check for an open bootloader :)

D3m0x

Aug 9, 2012
Santo Domingo
1.you have to call google for an rma
2.in my case, the send me a new one, including an envelope and the freightpapers for the old one
3. they authorize 349 euro on your credit card, but they just authorize it,they dont take it
4.if you receive the new device, you have to send the old device back to them within 21 days, otherwise they will take the 349 euros from your credit card
5. pray that they cant turn it on and you are good to go and you dont have to pay for it
6. in betwen 14 days you can keep the new device, dont know how they handle it over 14 days sorry
hope i could clearify some things lol

I live in Germany, had similar problems and doing the rma rightnow, too.

The replacement nexus 4 that you will get is yours. Until they checked your first nexus 4, they block the money for your replacement.
If your warranty isn't valid or the defect isn't covered by the warranty they will charge you for the replacement device.

Let's hope they cannot turn our devices on to check for an open bootloader :)

Thank you guys! Really helped :D

Lesson learned: After root, ALWAYS block your bootloader :rolleyes:

miku3191

Jan 4, 2011
INDIA
Thank you guys! Really helped :D

Lesson learned: After root, ALWAYS block your bootloader :rolleyes:

Dont take a chance ! If you didn't send your device yet...

plug it into PC while holding ( VOL - )! JUST VOLUME DOWN ! no POWER KEY !

and when in fastboot mode, do :

Code:
fastboot oem lock

Dont take any chances ! ... They are super genuis ! I guess they can do anything to check the LOCK status ! :(

D3m0x

Aug 9, 2012
Santo Domingo
Dont take a chance ! If you didn't send your device yet...

plug it into PC while holding ( VOL - )! JUST VOLUME DOWN ! no POWER KEY !

and when in fastboot mode, do :

Code:
fastboot oem lock

Dont take any chances ! ... They are super genuis ! I guess they can do anything to check the LOCK status ! :(

Well bro, my phone its on the way to USA, but when my cousin get it, I'll tell that and lets see what happends...

DaX05

Jan 13, 2011
New York
I had no issues on 1836. I was on it all late last night. It was until I opened that benchmark app that went haywire.

robs898

May 5, 2012
Hey guys im in the same boat currently doing RMA. I have no red LED phone wont charge or turn on so hoping that Google cant either and Warranty holds.

No idea what bin I am im afraid. I have a hunch its fast or faster as I couldn't run matr1x v4.0 kernel and other people who also couldnt were fast bin (think it was due to the voltage tables).

dannaoj

Aug 29, 2012
muntinlupa city
RED LED fixed :D

hey guys, i've read a lot of threads about this red led issue and having the only solution was to RMA it.
just remebered the time when i had a RED LED after replacing my framework.apk that i have found in one the forums, after replacing the framework.apk, my phone cant respond to anything (screen touches and even power and volume button was not working) and after a minute my phone turned off. and i cant get it to turn on so i was panicking a bit knowing that i cant RMA my phone cause i only had my phone from my mother in UK and i'm in philippines so i plug my phone on the wall then the LED flashes RED ......

to make the long story short i tried everything to revive my phone and wugfresh's toolkit saved it, after a couple things the toolkit manages to flash the stock rom on my phone i was relieved.

that was just my experience, hope it help you guys

reaper000

Aug 3, 2009
OnePlus 9
hey guys, i've read a lot of threads about this red led issue and having the only solution was to RMA it.
just remebered the time when i had a RED LED after replacing my framework.apk that i have found in one the forums, after replacing the framework.apk, my phone cant respond to anything (screen touches and even power and volume button was not working) and after a minute my phone turned off. and i cant get it to turn on so i was panicking a bit knowing that i cant RMA my phone cause i only had my phone from my mother in UK and i'm in philippines so i plug my phone on the wall then the LED flashes RED ......

to make the long story short i tried everything to revive my phone and wugfresh's toolkit saved it, after a couple things the toolkit manages to flash the stock rom on my phone i was relieved.

that was just my experience, hope it help you guys

Exactly what did you do in Wugfresh's toolkit to save it?

loopyoyo

Jan 13, 2008
Sent my device in for RMA over a week ago. Bootloader was unlocked and custom rom loaded. Same red light problem everyone else is having. Also ordered my replacement device which is still on back order.Charges have now cleared my credit card so no worries just in case anyone is worried they will not honor the warranty because you have unlocked and rooted the phone .Called google to find out where my replacement device is yesterday and they said that even the rma devices are on back order for 1 to 2 more weeks which really sucks!

MattSkeet

Sep 9, 2010
Derby
So basically everyone here crashed their car ,it was their own fault, car not had an insurance and you expect to get a new one pretending it was manufacturing fault ?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

reaper000

Aug 3, 2009
OnePlus 9
You make too many assumptions, friend.

1. Not everyone browsing this topic has crashed their phone. I popped in while searching for Wug and toolkit, for instance.

2. It's their own fault: you know what "everyone here" did? Their phone use, their setup?

2a. It may not be manufacturing issue as much as a design flaw. Microsoft's Xbox "circle of death" comes to mind; this could be LG's version of that.

The Nexus line is known as the dev's phones, and devs push limits; that's inherent to development. Even experienced devs like Faux have had red LEDs.

The inability to yank the battery as a hard reset has always troubled me in this kind of environment. I hope Google's next phone corrects this

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

FelipeMartins96

Jan 13, 2013
So basically everyone here crashed their car ,it was their own fault, car not had an insurance and you expect to get a new one pretending it was manufacturing fault ?

Mine Nexus got the red led just now, never rooted, everything stock

[Update: after sometime connected to the computer the battery charging icon appeared and it booted]

Last edited:

loopyoyo

Jan 13, 2008
Update on my RMA process. I noticed today that I have a new pending $299 authorization on my card and I am trying to find out why. The original $299 authorization that was placed on my card when I first started the RMA has now cleared because I had already sent the defective device back for repair and a few days later the pending charge went away. Now I am wondering why in the hell they placed a new $299 charge again even though my replacement device has not even shipped! Google has really dropped the ball on this whole nexus 4 situation!

Meleagru

Dec 21, 2012
If you take it apart and actually take the battery out, as a proper hardware reset, will that work? Anyone tried this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

My doubt is: