Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Getting rid of persistent notifications since Android 4.3

1,256 posts
Thanks Meter: 469

By CrazyPeter, Senior Member on 25th July 2013, 01:24 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have a permanent notification:

"Tune In Radio Pro Is Running".

How do I get rid of this, without affecting the functionality of the app? (I want it to show a notification when I am listening to something).

Is this possible?

25th July 2013, 01:45 PM |#2  
Flag Chiko is Lord
Thanks Meter: 302

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPeter

I have a permanent notification:

"Tune In Radio Pro Is Running".

How do I get rid of this, without affecting the functionality of the app? (I want it to show a notification when I am listening to something).

Is this possible?

Did you look for the app in system>apps and disable notifications?
25th July 2013, 02:51 PM |#3  
Huntsville
Thanks Meter: 181

More
I have this same issue. I clear notifications but they come back. I deselect show notifications in system settings and get the same notification later. The only way to stop it is to turn it off in the app settings if there is one.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
25th July 2013, 08:38 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 82

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcnbama

I have this same issue. I clear notifications but they come back. I deselect show notifications in system settings and get the same notification later. The only way to stop it is to turn it off in the app settings if there is one.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

I get apps showing 2 notifications!

Notifications badly broken somewhere.

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by WibblyW

I get apps showing 2 notifications!

Notifications badly broken somewhere.

Ah. I have 2 apps that run in background that do NOT show these persistent notifications... They both happen to implement a user setting for notification priority (which I have set to lowest/no icon). Co-incidence? Maybe we need some app changes...
27th July 2013, 05:19 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
You can find the answer here:

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/05/17...or-some-tasks/

Crappy news none the less.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diabolic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift diabolic Ad-Free
28th July 2013, 06:52 AM |#6  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Central Florida
Thanks Meter: 4,550

More
Apps were always supposed to show that notification when running in the foreground since they can have a huge impact on device performance and battery life.

https://plus.google.com/105051985738...ts/MTinJWdNL8t

https://developer.android.com/guide/.../services.html
A foreground service is a service that's considered to be something the user is actively aware of and thus not a candidate for the system to kill when low on memory. A foreground service must provide a notification for the status bar, which is placed under the "Ongoing" heading, which means that the notification cannot be dismissed unless the service is either stopped or removed from the foreground.
The Following User Says Thank You to xHausx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xHausx Ad-Free
28th July 2013, 07:38 AM |#7  

More
That's the problem I think. What we consider as background apps are now behaving like foreground apps. As said previously it's an app problem. Had one fixed already

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
28th July 2013, 08:19 AM |#8  
Flag Anchorage
Thanks Meter: 20,885

More
Guys I think this is gonna be the least of the issues people will have. With the new security restrictions even CM is thinking root is just about dead.

Wayne Tech Nexus
28th July 2013, 08:43 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Guys. Read this.

---------- Post added at 01:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHausx

Apps were always supposed to show that notification when running in the foreground since they can have a huge impact on device performance and battery life.

https://developer.android.com/guide/.../services.html
A foreground service is a service that's considered to be something the user is actively aware of and thus not a candidate for the system to kill when low on memory. A foreground service must provide a notification for the status bar, which is placed under the "Ongoing" heading, which means that the notification cannot be dismissed unless the service is either stopped or removed from the foreground.

Sorry didn't see that.
28th July 2013, 09:22 AM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by inc188

Guys. Read this.

---------- Post added at 01:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 AM ----------

Sorry didn't see that.

I posted this in that Google+ thread, but would be interested in what folk here think:

---

So what's the proper way to do this now (stop apps you want from being killed yet never show a notification)? Is it possible?

There are several utility/monitor type apps that the user would want never killed. But to have a persistent notification gets in the way of 'normal' notifications (aesthetically) and makes the status bar and notification shade look very busy. Would it not be better to allow the user to set that persistent notifications don't show for selected apps of their choosing?
28th July 2013, 09:51 AM |#11  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Central Florida
Thanks Meter: 4,550

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WibblyW

I posted this in that Google+ thread, but would be interested in what folk here think:

---

So what's the proper way to do this now (stop apps you want from being killed yet never show a notification)? Is it possible?

There are several utility/monitor type apps that the user would want never killed. But to have a persistent notification gets in the way of 'normal' notifications (aesthetically) and makes the status bar and notification shade look very busy. Would it not be better to allow the user to set that persistent notifications don't show for selected apps of their choosing?

You may be able to still raise the background threads priority with android.os.Process.setThreadPriority(), but I haven't tried it from a service yet. Even without it you should still be okay though unless the system needs to free up some memory.

You can also tell the system your service needs to be restarted asap with START_STICKY or START_REDELIVER_INTENT.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
notifications

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)