Post Reply Email Thread
28th July 2013, 09:51 AM |#11  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Central Florida
Thanks Meter: 4,550

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WibblyW

I posted this in that Google+ thread, but would be interested in what folk here think:

---

So what's the proper way to do this now (stop apps you want from being killed yet never show a notification)? Is it possible?

There are several utility/monitor type apps that the user would want never killed. But to have a persistent notification gets in the way of 'normal' notifications (aesthetically) and makes the status bar and notification shade look very busy. Would it not be better to allow the user to set that persistent notifications don't show for selected apps of their choosing?

You may be able to still raise the background threads priority with android.os.Process.setThreadPriority(), but I haven't tried it from a service yet. Even without it you should still be okay though unless the system needs to free up some memory.

You can also tell the system your service needs to be restarted asap with START_STICKY or START_REDELIVER_INTENT.

29th July 2013, 10:50 PM |#12  
Flag savona
Thanks Meter: 4,350

More
[QUOTE=xHausx;44031889]

sorry for the off topic .... hello friend you have important pm.

★sent by zio★
29th July 2013, 10:59 PM |#13  
Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 26,394

More
guys, an update, read this.. http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/07...o-android-4-3/

Quote:

Have Persistent Notifications After You Upgrade To Android 4.3
Posted by Bertel King, Jr. in News
Anyone who has made the jump to Android 4.3, which admittedly isn't that many people right now, may have noticed that some applications now plant persistent notifications in the status bar. We offered this as a disclaimer in our post about manually updating a Nexus 4 to Android 4.3. Turns out, this is completely intentional. Android now forces persistent notifications on unkillable apps that run silently in the background. This is an attempt to call attention to behavior that isn't quite okay.
Notifications3
Many developers have made their applications impossible to kill and don't alert users to the fact that they're still running. They do this by creating a malformed notification object that doesn't appear in the status bar but still tricks the activity manager into allowing the service to enter the foreground. This is great for snooping, but that doesn't mean that only malicious apps adopt this behavior. As Artem's screenshots show below, the Network Monitor Mini Pro was one offender, but the developer has since updated the app to fix the problem.
Notifications1 Notifications2
While Android developers originally wanted to force quit apps that submit malformed notifications, there are simply too many out there for this to be a usable approach. Instead, Android will alert users to the offending apps, and developers will probably be inclined to change their software once users stop using their products and/or bring public shaming down on their heads. Hopefully the bulk of them will have been fixed by the time most phones make the jump to the latest version of Jelly Bean.

30th July 2013, 12:29 AM |#14  
Flag Highlands, TX
Thanks Meter: 461

More
Totally lame. I have an app that silently runs in the background all the time and I know this. I don't need Android reminding me of this every time I swipe my notifications menu down.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
30th July 2013, 07:49 AM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Open Tunein, go to settings, scroll to bottom, and disable receive push notifications. This removes the persistent notification.

Edit:
Comes back after a reboot.
30th July 2013, 06:25 PM |#16  
Flag Los Altos
Thanks Meter: 124

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumqwat

Open Tunein, go to settings, scroll to bottom, and disable receive push notifications. This removes the persistent notification.

Edit:
Comes back after a reboot.

This is so damn annoying. I Hate it when someone shoves a notification down my throat.
2nd August 2013, 01:20 AM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 51

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelendel

Guys I think this is gonna be the least of the issues people will have. With the new security restrictions even CM is thinking root is just about dead.

And this is why my Nexus 7 is rooted with SuperSU and my Nexus 4 is rooted with SuperSU and running Faux Kernel how then?
2nd August 2013, 01:29 AM |#18  
Flag Anchorage
Thanks Meter: 20,885

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkBelig

And this is why my Nexus 7 is rooted with SuperSU and my Nexus 4 is rooted with SuperSU and running Faux Kernel how then?

If you do the research you will see that the current super users are using a temporary work around to get it working as SUID is now blocked. You can even read the debate about it on may of the expert developers Google plus pages. Root is bearly working completely while we wait for a perm fix to be found.

Wayne Tech Nexus
5th August 2013, 01:43 AM |#19  
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Is there like a zip file that could be made to flash and disable this feature? Like a script or something?
5th August 2013, 03:25 PM |#20  
Flag Highlands, TX
Thanks Meter: 461

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuckFuggets

Is there like a zip file that could be made to flash and disable this feature? Like a script or something?

It is up to respective developers to properly code so that the notification can be disabled.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/07...o-android-4-3/

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
The Following User Says Thank You to fernandezhjr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fernandezhjr Ad-Free
5th August 2013, 11:28 PM |#21  
Flag Oakland
Thanks Meter: 139

More
Tune In Radio was updated today, and persistent notifications are gone for me.

Can someone else confirm?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
notifications

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)