FORUMS

[Q] HD Voice support?

110 posts
Thanks Meter: 6

By r3loaded2010, Senior Member on 30th October 2012, 02:09 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Out of interest does anyone know if the Nexus 4 will support HD voice? Is it a feature that requires baseband support or is it implemented in the system software?
The Following User Says Thank You to r3loaded2010 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift r3loaded2010 Ad-Free
30th October 2012, 03:19 PM |#2  
Flag West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 319

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3loaded2010

Out of interest does anyone know if the Nexus 4 will support HD voice? Is it a feature that requires baseband support or is it implemented in the system software?

Good question. I've currently got it on my Samsung Galaxy S3.

For it to work, you need all of the following:
- A handset that supports it (hardware-wise)
- A network that supports it (such as 3 Mobile in the UK)
- Software that supports it (The official 3 Mobile Samsung ROMs for the S3 support it, and CM10 supports it for the S3, but I don't know whether this was added in or part of Android 4.1.X natively)
- The call needs to be between two devices that meet all of the above.

HD voice is very impressive, though. It's like having the person stood next to you talking in your ear (which may or may not be a good thing, depending who you're talking to!).

I hope the Nexus 4 has it, it might possibly even be a deal-breaker for me if it doesn't.
31st October 2012, 07:49 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Well, the baseband is a Qualcomm MDM9615 which should definitely support AMR-WB (the codec needed for HD Voice) so that's one part of the puzzle solved. Three definitely support it on their network, so the only question now is whether the phone's software supports it.
The Following User Says Thank You to r3loaded2010 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift r3loaded2010 Ad-Free
31st October 2012, 10:21 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
ja i have also tried to google that info... guess we have to ask the real google ^^ or LG?
really hope tht it will support HD Voice
1st November 2012, 11:31 PM |#5  

More
Quote:

Well, the baseband is a Qualcomm MDM8215 which should definitely support AMR-WB (the codec needed for HD Voice) so that's one part of the puzzle solved. Three definitely support it on their network, so the only question now is whether the phone's software supports it.

Looks like the Optimus G also has it..?
So hardwarewise we are safe to go? CM 10 also does support it if i am not mistaken? would be strange if Android would not?
Also tried to contact LG but that did not help much. ( They at least assured me it is voice enabled and has got google now *facepalm*)
2nd November 2012, 12:12 AM |#6  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag UK
Thanks Meter: 1,646

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Well, the baseband is a Qualcomm MDM8215 which should definitely support AMR-WB (the codec needed for HD Voice) so that's one part of the puzzle solved. Three definitely support it on their network, so the only question now is whether the phone's software supports it.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but isn't it the DSP that needs to support it? The QDSP6 does appear to support AMR-WB anyway, I just didn't think the baseband had anything to do with it, have I misunderstood?
3rd November 2012, 12:19 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0st.prophet

Forgive me if I am wrong, but isn't it the DSP that needs to support it? The QDSP6 does appear to support AMR-WB anyway, I just didn't think the baseband had anything to do with it, have I misunderstood?

The DSP responsible for implementing the codec is integrated within the MDM baseband chip, and from what I've gleaned the baseband does support it.
8th November 2012, 05:24 PM |#8  

More
Still nothing on that?
Neither google nor LG replied..
17th November 2012, 04:31 PM |#9  
Flag West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 319

More
Well I've got my Nexus 4 now, so I rang my wife on her Samsung Galaxy S III (we're both on the 3 network in the UK) and the call was in HD.

So the Nexus 4 does support HD voice!
The Following User Says Thank You to sjgore For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sjgore Ad-Free
31st December 2012, 02:58 PM |#10  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I just posted a reply to another thread that I'm getting HD voice on my N4 as well.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2032737
9th January 2013, 05:35 PM |#11  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 3

More
T-Mobile HD Voice
I can't wait to see if it works on the Nexus 4 over T-Mobile in the US. They recently announced support but neglected to list the Nexus 4 on their supported devices, even though they sell the device in stores.

http://www.tmonews.com/2013/01/t-mob...-call-quality/

Let's hope they have a firmware update for the upcoming LTE network too.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)