Thanks Meter: 1

By newbienic, Member on 22nd November 2012, 03:17 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
26th January 2013, 04:54 PM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr33y

AT&T. My mms send just fine too. I don't understand how a setting can hide itself like that, I've never seen anything like this anywhere in Android lol. Ugh.. Who is your carrier? My girlfriend is coming over later and I'm thinking about throwing her sim on tmobile in my phone to see if that changes anything

Sent from my HTC Sensation using xda app-developers app

Heh, I have T-Mobile....... the plot thickens!

Yeah, I mean the option is most definitely built-in to the APK. I've extracted it and I can see it there. I'm really curious why it's hiding itself. It's also crazy that this isn't a larger issue. I agree, I've never seen such action in Android before.
The Following User Says Thank You to penninajx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift penninajx Ad-Free

26th January 2013, 05:36 PM |#32  
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 103

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by penninajx

Heh, I have T-Mobile....... the plot thickens!

Yeah, I mean the option is most definitely built-in to the APK. I've extracted it and I can see it there. I'm really curious why it's hiding itself. It's also crazy that this isn't a larger issue. I agree, I've never seen such action in Android before.

Yeah I'm surprised not many people have commented on this issue too. Maybe someone who understands mms.apk would be better at answering our question? Have you tried changing around your APN? It seems like that's the only thing that may determine it but I've seen people on AT&T with the exact same APN as my own who claim to have the group mms setting there
26th January 2013, 06:49 PM |#33  

More
I haven't tried changing my APN - but maybe it's worth a shot? It really makes no sense whatsoever. I'm wondering if it has something to do with my physical SIM card. Let me know if using your girlfriends changes anything up.
The Following User Says Thank You to penninajx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift penninajx Ad-Free
26th January 2013, 09:00 PM |#34  
Flag Boston

More
Quote:

I haven't tried changing my APN - but maybe it's worth a shot? It really makes no sense whatsoever. I'm wondering if it has something to do with my physical SIM card. Let me know if using your girlfriends changes anything up.

Just realized she has a microSIM while i'm using an original SIM so no luck there I'll probably fool around with my phone a bit more after Monday and let you know if I figure anything out
27th January 2013, 07:37 PM |#35  

More
Can you test something out for me real quick? Go to Settings->About Phone->Status -- what does it say for "My Phone Number" ?
27th January 2013, 07:47 PM |#36  
Flag Boston

More
Quote:

Can you test something out for me real quick? Go to Settings->About Phone->Status -- what does it say for "My Phone Number" ?

Says Unknown. It's been like that for as long as I can remember.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spr33y For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Spr33y Ad-Free
27th January 2013, 07:49 PM |#37  

More
I think I found the smoking gun. I decompiled MMS.apk and started rooting around. I found this

Code:
// For the group mms feature to be enabled, the following must be true:
//  1. the feature is enabled in mms_config.xml (currently on by default)
//  2. the feature is enabled in the mms settings page
//  3. the SIM knows its own phone number
Mine is unknown as well. I need to find a way to get my number on my SIM card now...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penninajx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift penninajx Ad-Free
28th January 2013, 12:15 AM |#38  
Flag Boston

More
Quote:

I think I found the smoking gun. I decompiled MMS.apk and started rooting around. I found this

Code:
// For the group mms feature to be enabled, the following must be true:
//  1. the feature is enabled in mms_config.xml (currently on by default)
//  2. the feature is enabled in the mms settings page
//  3. the SIM knows its own phone number
Mine is unknown as well. I need to find a way to get my number on my SIM card now...

That's exciting! I'll see if I can figure out anything on this end. People are saying iPhone's have the ability to add a number to sim, unfortunately I don't have any just sitting around.

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Got it! Use this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nenumber&hl=en

It doesn't stick on reboot but hey, I don't mind! Thanks for figuring out the key to getting group mms to work. Can't tell you how many hairs I pulled out trying to fix it.
28th January 2013, 01:42 AM |#39  
NYC & Germany
Thanks Meter: 456

More
Ahh good find dude. My SIM is programmed with my number so i guess that's why mine shows up just fine. With some older phones you can manually edit your number on the SIM. My old Motorola phone could do that if i remember correctly.
29th January 2013, 02:40 PM |#40  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I checked my status and my number was indeed unknown. Popped my SIM card into my old samsung slider phone. Set my number, and put it back in my Galaxy Nexus. Option is there now. Pennin you are awesome.
11th June 2013, 03:45 PM |#41  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss284

I checked my status and my number was indeed unknown. Popped my SIM card into my old samsung slider phone. Set my number, and put it back in my Galaxy Nexus. Option is there now. Pennin you are awesome.

How would I change my phone number on the sim card without having another phone to set the number? Is it something I can have tmobile do?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
group, iphone, messaging, mms, nexus

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)