FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Nexus 4: How's that glass back holding up?

1,029 posts
Thanks Meter: 380

By cb474, Senior Member on 15th November 2012, 04:18 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
For people who have the Nexus 4, I'm wondering how that glass back is holding up?

The review unit at The Verge already has a small crack, from when it was accidentally knocked off of a table. And Android Central, in their review, said they were already seeing hairlines scratches on the back. I was also in a T-Mobile store today looking at their demo unit, which had a few hairline scratches on the back (even though they just got the phone today).

The glass back is one part of the build of the phone that I a bit worried about in the long run (after all, it didn't work out so well on the iPhone 4).

Thanks for any comments.
The Following User Says Thank You to cb474 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cb474 Ad-Free

15th November 2012, 04:19 AM |#2  
Flag OC
Thanks Meter: 87

More
This should be in Q&A thread.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Capt.PP For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Capt.PP Ad-Free
15th November 2012, 04:22 AM |#3  
Flag Land of the Idiots
Thanks Meter: 489

More
Apparently one of the people on this forum that got the device early, dropped it and the back broke
15th November 2012, 05:53 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
omigosh, maybe I'll just wait for the next Nexus.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlleN7 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AlleN7 Ad-Free
15th November 2012, 06:04 AM |#5  
Flag Champaign
Thanks Meter: 163

More
Ouch.... I ordered screen protector for front and back, and a soft case but they won't come until later this month.

I guess I will have to stick with my old g2 for a while?
15th November 2012, 06:14 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Why is everyone so worried about the BACK glass breaking? If I dropped the phone I'd be a whole lot more concerned over the front SCREEN breaking. The glass on the back cracking would be annoying, but it won't hurt the function of the phone. The front breaking obviously would, and every single smartphone has a glass screen.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dyslexicpenguin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dyslexicpenguin Ad-Free
15th November 2012, 06:46 AM |#7  
Flag Land of the Idiots
Thanks Meter: 489

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyslexicpenguin

Why is everyone so worried about the BACK glass breaking? If I dropped the phone I'd be a whole lot more concerned over the front SCREEN breaking. The glass on the back cracking would be annoying, but it won't hurt the function of the phone. The front breaking obviously would, and every single smartphone has a glass screen.

Shattered glass in your hands is bad either way
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jacklebott For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jacklebott Ad-Free
15th November 2012, 06:53 AM |#8  
Flag Missouri (misery)
Thanks Meter: 115

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklebott

Shattered glass in your hands is bad either way

if it breaks just get a case or skin for it lol
The Following User Says Thank You to stratax For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift stratax Ad-Free
15th November 2012, 07:10 AM |#9  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 78

More
I'm curious how well it'd hold up with a Zagg Invisi-Shield on it...if it would still crack simply from shock or not. Either way, i'll still get a bumper case for the phone simply out of paranoia, lol. I drop my phones like crazy. It's amazing how crazy I am over gadgets and protecting them, yet they still seem to slip from my desk/car/hand :P

I think i'm going to give this phone 2 months before I invest any money into it. I'd rather play it smart and wait than to be "cool" because I was the first to get one (which honestly, nobody really gives a **** about, lol). I had friends who were all "hey, hey look. I got the new 'insertnewphonehere'. I'm one of the first people to get one" and everyone else was like "......um, ok. You want a prize or something?" lol
15th November 2012, 09:44 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 380

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyslexicpenguin

Yes, every single smartphone does have a glass screen, which is why there would be no point asking this question about any particular phone. It's a necessity and it's not a reason one is going to choose one phone over another.

But there's no reason the back of the Nexus 4 has to be glass, so it is relevant to consider how durable it's going to be when comparing it to other phones. Why effectively double a risk (of a glass part breaking), if it's not necessary?

It's also possible that the back of the Nexus 4 is not as durable as the typical screen. It is interesting that all of the stories of breaking and scratches, so far, are on the back phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to cb474 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cb474 Ad-Free
15th November 2012, 01:24 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 49

More
thing is ..its simple... google heard all of last year how samsung screwed up the build quality of nexus with plastic..so they thought what material while cheap can provide a lil if not lot more premium feel...(the 4s pops into their head)..lg presents a similar phone..and voila nexus 4 is made.. im not saying its bad quality..to be honest its the best quality phone im gonna buy...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)