FORUMS

[Q] Nexus4 double charging?

110 posts
Thanks Meter: 7

By andrewhansen86, Senior Member on 5th April 2013, 12:07 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Odd thought popped in my head while sitting at my desk today at work....Can you double charge the Nexus4? For example, I have the wireless charger. I also have a wired charger at my desk that I used before I bought the wireless orb. Could I plug the nexus4 into the wired charger and then set it on top of the wireless orb? Would it cause any damage? Would it charge my battery any faster? Would it even do anything? Part of me says that the inductive charging wouldn't even turn on because the phone would/should know that it is pulled into a micro usb cable. Another part of me says well, the internal inductive pad is probably always active and isn't something that can be turned off? I toss this question to the people here that are smarter than me in the hardware side.
5th April 2013, 12:23 AM |#2  
Flag Coimbra
Thanks Meter: 50

More
maybe, if it does perhaps battery will get hot and start to turn off one of them or maybe decrease power charge in usb or wireless charger...
but its a matter of try... i think u dont have nothing to loose cause our phones with high temperatures decrease speed and charge power..
5th April 2013, 01:24 AM |#3  
Flag Delray Beach, FL
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Plug
The Nexus 4 has two main power circuits: 1) Battery Connector & Charging Circuit & 2) Wireless Charging GEN2 Circuit. These two work together with internal battery protection circuit as well. There are many controls going on while charging, such as current sensors, thermal sensors, voltage reference and voltage input detection. So basically it has been thought to avoid any problem if you happen to connect both charging supplies at the same time, as only one will act as the charger, and as far as I can understand the logic of it, it’s the USB charging that has priority over wireless charging.
The Following User Says Thank You to ekmenet For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ekmenet Ad-Free
8th April 2013, 04:13 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekmenet

The Nexus 4 has two main power circuits: 1) Battery Connector & Charging Circuit & 2) Wireless Charging GEN2 Circuit. These two work together with internal battery protection circuit as well. There are many controls going on while charging, such as current sensors, thermal sensors, voltage reference and voltage input detection. So basically it has been thought to avoid any problem if you happen to connect both charging supplies at the same time, as only one will act as the charger, and as far as I can understand the logic of it, it’s the USB charging that has priority over wireless charging.

Thanks! I think you are probably right, as I had this same thought just without the hardware knowledge of the device to come to a conclusion on it.
9th April 2013, 03:17 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 79

More
While you are at it (double charging your n4), make sure you connect the wire coming from your kite flying in the thunder and lightning outside. Triple charging beats double charging every time.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
9th April 2013, 03:25 AM |#6  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 125

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesc760

While you are at it (double charging your n4), make sure you connect the wire coming from your kite flying in the thunder and lightning outside. Triple charging beats double charging every time.

+1 and also find a way to plug the USB cable directly into the wall plug, don't use any adaptor. The extra voltage will speed things up. As far as you should be concerned the internal protection circuits will make it very safe.
9th April 2013, 03:30 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesc760

Maybe the world's most powerful phone will born with unlimited power lol
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)