FORUMS

Reverting from Calendar 5.0 to 201404014

81 posts
Thanks Meter: 4

By jevring, Member on 28th November 2014, 06:38 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
This is cobbled together from various sources online. Thanks to the respective authors.
Please read the ENTIRE guide before starting. Also please familiarize yourself with the 'adb' tool and make sure you have the proper USB drivers for your phone installed (Something like this might work). I will not be held responsible if you brick your phone or anything like that. In fact, I won't be held responsible for ANYTHING, Haha!
  1. Go into the play store. Browse your way to your currently installed calendar. DISABLE AUTO-UPDATE.
    Otherwise all your hard work will be for nothing when Google overwrites what you've already done.
  2. Go in to Settings -> Security -> Unknown sources.
    You must allow installation of software from unknown sources, otherwise the installation won't be accepted. You can disable this again once you are done, if you wish.
  3. Download the old Calendar APK to your computer (http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-...201404014-apk/)
  4. Get root (http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...-root-t2025274)
    If you don't already have root/oem unlock YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR DATA.
  5. Install Titanium Backup (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...TitaniumBackup)
    This requires root, which is what we needed to do in the previous step.
  6. Use Titanium Backup to uninstall Calendar 5.0
    If you want to protect yourself, use Titanium Backup to make a backup of Calendar 5.0 in case things get ****ed up
    If anybody knows of a different way of installing a system app, please let me know. It would be nice if this was possible "rootless"
  7. Reboot
  8. Install the old calendar apk using adb
    Open cmd.exe (or equivalent).
    Find where you either have your existing adb tools
    Issue the command "
    Code:
    adb install com.google.android.calendar-201404014-201404014-minAPI15.apk
    "
    In my case, this looked like it hung. After about a minute, I did Ctrl+c to get out of it.
    Thinking it had failed, I tried again, only to be told that the application was already installed (Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_ALREADY_EXISTS]).
    Moments later, I was greeted with a calendar notification in the old calendar style. When I clicked it, I was taken to the old calendar.
    Thus, it works.

Keep in mind that this is a bit of a hack. I'm writing these steps down as I remember them, rather than as a fully researched guide.
The Following User Says Thank You to jevring For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jevring Ad-Free
29th November 2014, 11:08 AM |#2  
OP Member

More
If you're not using lollipop, there's a chance you can simply "uninstall upgrades" to the calendar in the app store, instead of rooting+titanium+uninstall.
2nd January 2015, 12:14 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Great! I just did it with success following your steps exactly. Thank you!

I'm wondering though if I could have just used Nexus Root Toolkit (used to root) to backup and uninstall Calendar 5 rather than Titanium? I did use it (NRT) to install the apk with no issues, it indicated success and I assumed a reboot was needed. So good to have it back, thanks again!

nexus 4, 5.0.1, rooted stock rom

p.s. I was able to uninstall Calendar 5 updates via settings on my lollipop but it only left me with a Disable button (no uninstall). I think Titanium, or the likes, is needed to uninstall system apps.
2nd January 2015, 08:36 AM |#4  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude+

Great! I just did it with success following your steps exactly. Thank you!

I'm wondering though if I could have just used Nexus Root Toolkit (used to root) to backup and uninstall Calendar 5 rather than Titanium? I did use it (NRT) to install the apk with no issues, it indicated success and I assumed a reboot was needed. So good to have it back, thanks again!

nexus 4, 5.0.1, rooted stock rom

p.s. I was able to uninstall Calendar 5 updates via settings on my lollipop but it only left me with a Disable button (no uninstall). I think Titanium, or the likes, is needed to uninstall system apps.

I think you can use any method you can think of to uninstall the existing calendar. That's really the tricky part. Side-loading the new one is relatively simple.
2nd January 2015, 03:41 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevring

I think you can use any method you can think of to uninstall the existing calendar. That's really the tricky part. Side-loading the new one is relatively simple.

Your article was the only one i found that detailed "how to", so deviating from it was out. A revisit to NRT didn't give me the affirmation I needed to validate my thought of using tools other than what you specified. I'm green but am progressing.

Perhaps it would be privy of you to include a pointer or two to highlight that it needn't be Titanium but rather any tool with similar abilities. Maybe even mention a couple popular ones you know of.

Thanks and Happy New Year.
2nd January 2015, 10:12 PM |#6  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude+

Your article was the only one i found that detailed "how to", so deviating from it was out. A revisit to NRT didn't give me the affirmation I needed to validate my thought of using tools other than what you specified. I'm green but am progressing.

Perhaps it would be privy of you to include a pointer or two to highlight that it needn't be Titanium but rather any tool with similar abilities. Maybe even mention a couple popular ones you know of.

Thanks and Happy New Year.

I don't actually know of any other approaches, personally. I did mention that it might be easier in my second post. I can imagine that you could simply "uninstall updates" provided you started with an android version before lollipop. I'm not 100% sure that would work, however, as then "adb install" might complain that the application was still installed.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
adb, calendar, nexus 4, root, titanium backup

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)