[Q] Section of touch screen not working

Search This thread

Sam Nakamura

Retired Forum Moderator
I know late Informationen but anyways as I didn't found this solution on all those "screen dead zone" thread on XDA or any other forum I'll post it here now...

Check out this video, a igniter of an electrical lighter fixes the dead zone on the screen on several different phone models, video shows it working on LG G2 but it's supposed to work on the Nexus 4 as well, even permanently - very little comments report it to make it worse but as we don't have much to lose it's worth a try, for the majority it solved the problem once and for all..

Edit: it slightly improved the responsiveness of the screen but it's not fixed, also others report it as temporary fix at best. So results are varying!

Good luck!

Sent from my OnePlus 3T using XDA Labs

Last edited:
Reactions: alecxs

raubvogel

Oct 16, 2010
Resurrecting this thread, I too am having the same issue. I do not know how some of you are making those maps of where in the screen is active, but I know the 1st 5th column of the screen just ignores me. How hard is it to replace the screen assembly (glass, digitizer, lcd)?

Sam Nakamura

Retired Forum Moderator
Resurrecting this thread, I too am having the same issue. I do not know how some of you are making those maps of where in the screen is active, but I know the 1st 5th column of the screen just ignores me. How hard is it to replace the screen assembly (glass, digitizer, lcd)?

That's rather easy if you buy the glass & screen combo, it costs around 30€ on eBay and instruction Videos can be found on YouTube, I'm however uncertain if it actually fixes the problem, some report that the problem was still present after screen replacement, leaving the motherboard as another possible culprit...

Edit: there are apps on Playstore (screen test or any paint program) to illustrate the issue

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This "kinda" works for me, you could try it

I have a Nexus 4 for about 2 months. I have this problem since I got it (not new) with a section on the right side, from the top to bottom. Last night was the first time I fully charged my phone through USB port on my laptop, let it untouched all night. Today I was super-excited to notice that my screen proplem disappeared. Well, after 9-10 hours, it reappeared. I'm charging it in the same way right now and I can hardly wait tomorrow to see if it happens again. Someone on another forum affirmed that his phone completely repaired doing this. I'll come back with an update.

Update: I confirm this really Works. After another night while charging through USB, my phone had the problem in the morning and I decided to draw to share my section. Just 1 minute later after saving the screenshot it started working perfectly. I have two screenshots now, one with problem, one without it. I tried to post them, but I'm new here and I'm not able to upload things.

(I hope my English is good enough for you to understand)
    Yes

hey, so am i understanding right that you charged your phone with your laptop and it corrected itself? i have an lg g2 and i have this same problem. it wouldnt be as big of an issue if it didnt break my knock on.

Yes, I'm charging it through USB port since I posted this and my screen is fully functional and works like a charm :) I recommend this to others.
    But be a little patient, the problem will reappear after the first time when it dissapears, but after that it will progressively improve. Hope you'll resolve it.
    I'm afraid to charge it by using the wall charger now, I'm thinking that could be a current problem, thus means that USB charging current is a lot lower that the outlet.
    I have a Nexus 4 for about 2 months. I have this problem since I got it (not new) with a section on the right side, from the top to bottom. Last night was the first time I fully charged my phone through USB port on my laptop, let it untouched all night. Today I was super-excited to notice that my screen proplem disappeared. Well, after 9-10 hours, it reappeared. I'm charging it in the same way right now and I can hardly wait tomorrow to see if it happens again. Someone on another forum affirmed that his phone completely repaired doing this. I'll come back with an update.

Update: I confirm this really Works. After another night while charging through USB, my phone had the problem in the morning and I decided to draw to share my section. Just 1 minute later after saving the screenshot it started working perfectly. I have two screenshots now, one with problem, one without it. I tried to post them, but I'm new here and I'm not able to upload things.

(I hope my English is good enough for you to understand)

It seems this annoying thing changed on my device for few days. I had some times when it functionned without the screen problem and times when it didn't work for weeks.
    For about a week it doesn't work a lot of time, but sometimes my touchscreen simply freezes and I have to lock the screen and unlock it again. After doing that, my screen works without that bottom-to-top line being unresponsive. If I stop using the phone for a night, for example, I find it the same way in the morning, but if I use it, it freezes again, but after I do the lock-unlock thing, it doesn't perceive touches on my 1/4 inch bottom-to-top line. I'm starting to think this is a software problem. I have the 4.4.2 version of Android on Nexus 4.
    I'm so nervous about it.

Did anyone find a solution to this?
    still works

I tried the USB charging ,but today morning the screen ia not fixed yet, I am using Samsung cable , did you charge it to 100% overnight or what???, mine was charged only to 70% as slept for very few hours...

Hi,
    I bought my phone with that problem and after seeing this method on the internet, I tried it. I left my phone charging through USB one night and the next morning the problem was gone, but reappeared the same day. For 2-3 months it had days when that section of the screen worked and days when it didn't. Now, for about 4 months, I hadn't any problem. The hole screen works and no ghost touches, From that first night I've been charging it only with USB on my laptop, but occasionally when I need that I charge it using the wall charger, but still NO PROBLEMS. Hope yours will recover too. Have a nice day!

PS: it doesn't matter how much I charge it. I charge it how I need it.
    My Nexus 4 suffered extensive water damage 4 days back due to heavy rainfall and died. Replacing the power IC at a local technician's shop helped and now it's working fine except for the section of top 2 rows of the QWERTY keypad that are unresponsive. Like other members who've mentioned this, I'm unable to accept or deny notification prompts, or type messages. Even on auto-rotate, my screen is not rotating to landscape mode. There is still a bit of water left on the screen and I'm praying that once it dries up, the screen will become better. However, there is one method that has helped me use my phone a little over the past 2 days.

Under the Accessibility section, turn the text size to large. And then turn on "Magnification gestures".
    If you are unable to tap the notification prompts, magnifying the screen will allow you to push the notification bubble to a more responsive part of the screen and make them go away. You could also turn on Google Voice typing to respond to Whatsapp/BBM/SMS texts. It's not a permanent fix but at least you can use your phone a little more.

I'm afraid the only permanent solution to this problem is replacing the entire display that will set you back by at least 5k Rupees (approx. $90) here in India.

I am also in the same boat. why is this common problem not being addressed by google?
    Is this really a hardware issue. and replacing the display is the only way to overcome this issue?
    how does this happen simply without any damage made to the screen or phone.
    I think managing with magnification and large text size is better than spending 5k Rupees.